Tesco BOGOF

Comments

• ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    So let me get this straight:

I can walk into Tesco find any shelf with a BOGOF item which is not in stock, go to Customer Services and say I was going to buy 5 of those but I can't. They then give me a voucher for 5 of product x which I can then produce at a later date to get 5 items of product x for nothing???

Correct?

RD
    No you misunderstood or I didn't make it clear, you can take advantage of the offer at a later date not simply obtain free items.
    Sometimes they may put on the raincheck 2 items only but you should avoid this by the method I previously stated.

HTH
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • Dormouse
    Dormouse Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Woohoo, I tried this for the first time today!

Twinpack Jaffa Cakes are BOGOF and there was just one left (incidentally, they were all gone last week, too). Now normally I would've left it there and moaned to hubby about useless Tesco, but now that I know better, I bought it and got a raincheck voucher from Customer Services! They actually knew what I was talking about and were very helpful, wow! :)

Thanks again for the tip.
  • HonestJohn
    HonestJohn Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    About a year ago my brother and I were in ASDA looking for some litre cartons of orange juice. All the Smartprice orange had gone. When we asked an assistant he asked us how many litres we wanted. We said 4 so he gave us a £1 voucher each so we could buy the ASDA juice for approximately the same price. He said that they were only allowed to hand out a few vouchers each a day.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
  • Freefall
    Freefall Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    karen23 wrote:
    Been shopping at tesco forever and I never knew they did this!!

They used to advertise this fact ages ago
  • Freefall
    mhoc wrote:
    Isn't that dishonest at least and deception at worst?

No. What is dishonest and deceptive is the pittance it pays all its staff members, its suppliers and farmers. What is immoral is the vast ammount of profits they make, very little of which goes to local communities. What is a disgrace is the way supermarkets force local small shops out of business, not just Tesco but all of the big supermarket chains. Need I go on?

Couldnt find a thank you button for ben500. Very very surprised to find that raincheck vouchers are not common knowledge. I wish I'd asked for more vaggie lasgne vouchers instead of just the one.

We watched a programme about Tesco not long ago and they are supposed to have a system of constant replenishment so they should have no excuses.

Mary

If you shop at Tesco's you are just supporting (aiding and abetting) the same as you have described above.

Tesco's may not be all good but they are a vital part of a lot of MSE'rs discussion topics and their offers/flaws are exploited a lot.

So they aren't as bad as you make out I feel
  • Freefall
    BNU wrote:
    I think you would still have to buy 5 to get 5 free, they are rainchecking the offer of BOGOF not handing out free stock!

You could get off with it. Depending on how they worked it.
    (i.e. if the cost of 5 got knocked off the bill and you buy either 5 or 10 (if BOGOF is still going) you might get of with it)
  • nickinoo
    nickinoo Posts: 617 Forumite
    They used to advertise the raincheck vouchers on the shelf in Tesco but as they no longer do I assumed it had been stopped. I must remember this next time I go in there.
  • dawny10
    dawny10 Posts: 244 Forumite
    Several times I have gone to my local Tesco's to get an advertised BOGOF and they have been out of stock and no-one had ever mentioned these vouchers - they usually just tell me when the next delivery might be arriving or that the offer is subject to availability!

Does it apply when they have no stock whatsoever, or only when that one lonely packet is on the shelf and no-one will buy it because they want the free one (irrespective of the fact that they were going to buy that item anyway before they new it was BOGOF)?
  • ben500
    Freefall wrote:
    If you shop at Tesco's you are just supporting (aiding and abetting) the same as you have described above.

Tesco's may not be all good but they are a vital part of a lot of MSE'rs discussion topics and their offers/flaws are exploited a lot.

So they aren't as bad as you make out I feel

A very good point, as I say in my sig don't waste your time hating them, take a step back and think, they give you many an opportunity to take advantage of their mistakes so use them as they arise and try and turn the tables a little when you can.

Just do a search for Tesco and see how many threads pop up you will be amazed at how much you would miss out on if you stopped shopping there!

• ben500
    That said if anyone can give me some info on which stores accept what amount of coupons it would be very helpfull,

I am travelling from Cardiff to Torquay this weekend and would prefer if Tesco's financed the trip for me.

I have a pocket full of coupons can anyone suggest any suitable pit stops en-route where I might offload some please?

Look out Tesco England I'm on my way!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport