Chase unauthorised increase payment

Options

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    grumbler said:

However, I don't know how either you or Fossil can prove what amount you actually authorised. Any confirmation email? But again, I'm pretty sure the burden of proof is on Fossil, not on you.

Not sure why I need to prove anything. I authorised a payment and Chase confirmed the amount. Thereafter they changed the amount. Chase have confirmed.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    missile said:
    grumbler said:

However, I don't know how either you or Fossil can prove what amount you actually authorised. Any confirmation email? But again, I'm pretty sure the burden of proof is on Fossil, not on you.

Not sure why I need to prove anything. I authorised a payment and Chase confirmed the amount. Thereafter they changed the amount. Chase have confirmed.
    How did they do this?  And how did they change? Replaced the original transaction with a bigger one? I've never seen anything like this except for pending transactions in foreign currency that can change slightly.

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    missile said:
    :# Hi,

On Friday, I authorised a payment to Fossil for £195.00. I received notification from Chase and invoice from Fossil for same amount.

On Saturday I got a message from Chase telling me payment had been increased to £279.20. When I contact Chase they blamed the merchant. I have raised a complaint that they have made payment without authorisation.

On Sunday I get a response to my complaint advising me to contact merchant. I repeated that my complaint is with Chase not the merchant. They tell me when I authorise a payment, the merchant can vary this and debit a greater amount if they choose. This does not seem right to me  :cold_sweat:

I have noted, the debit has now been reduced to £114.00.

Has anyone else seen Chase increase the payment without authorisation?

Chase are right. Retailer takes the funds. Not chase sending it to them. Chase have nothing to with any amount authorised or debiting you account.

So you need to ask retailer (check your invoice from Fossil) as to what exactly the amount should be. 

@eskbanker is right a auth amount does not have to match the amount taken. Another example Amazon always used to auth £1 on order (check card was live) & debit the full item price once dispatched.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 27 November 2022 at 3:22PM
    Options
    I think we are confusing online authorisation which happen at time of entering card details online and/or use with contactless/chip&pin in person, with transaction posting.

Chase works in a different way as it should not allow overdraft and thus what is authorised online should also be what it allowed to be posted.

posting actually happens once a day at best, or even less frequently, when the merchant initiate the process at the end of their business day/period. So it was Fossil that managed to post a different amount, thus not clearly Chase fault. What Chase should have done though is to take your complaint and Chase evidence from Fossil and not asking you to speak to the merchant, albeit some time it helps (I had the same occurring to me once with Lloyds but I contacted the merchant first, sent evidence and asked them to reverse the extra payment, which they duly did. Lloyds had also suggested I did that first before they initiated a chargeback).
  • ZeroSum
    ZeroSum Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    A few years back, I had a similar issue. Bought something for a price, got email confirmation agreeing price. Amount taken was £10 more. Rang up credit card provider & they refunded me the difference with no quibble.

Funnily enough, I then left a bad review, the merchant phoned me back & then refunded me again after I contacted them previously & wouldn't budge. Even though I'd already told them I've done a section 75 claim
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ZeroSum said:
    Even though I'd already told them I've done a section 75 claim
    You don't need s75 in such cases. It's simple chargeback.

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments.

My transaction was not a card pre-authorisation, e.g. at hotel or petrol station. This was a one off transaction which was authorised and debited from my account at the time for the correct amount.

It appears that Fossil then initiated a request to increase the payment. 

My complaint is: Chase allowed this to happen. If I had not noticed this "error" ............
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • dil1976
    dil1976 Posts: 484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    missile said:

My transaction was not a card pre-authorisation, e.g. at hotel or petrol station. This was a one off transaction which was authorised and debited from my account at the time for the correct amount.

My complaint is: Chase allowed this to happen. If I had not noticed this "error" ............
    If the merchant has requested an amount from your bank that you didn't authorise how is that the banks fault? Did the merchant make 2 requests and cancel one?
  • Martin_the_Unjust
    Options
    dil1976 said:
    missile said:

If the merchant has requested an amount from your bank that you didn't authorise how is that the banks fault? Did the merchant make 2 requests and cancel one?
    Are you really suggesting that if anyone takes money out of your bank without your permission it’s not the banks fault?
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 21 December 2022 at 9:23AM
    Options
    I have read this and still not clear (unless I have missed it) how you 'paid'

Can you confirm it was by debit card? I assume 'notification by Chase' was the push message on your phone saying debit card transaction for £195?

Can I also assume that the merchant then increased the debit card transaction?

If so, Chase are not at fault as that is exactly what a debit card (the clue is in the name) is for - for merchants to debit your account. When you use a debit card you are agreeing that the bank (Chase) pays all amounts debited using this card.

You complaint is with the merchant.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure