Chase unauthorised increase payment

Options
missile
missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
edited 27 November 2022 at 1:48PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
:# Hi,

On Friday, I authorised a payment to Fossil for £195.00. I received notification from Chase and invoice from Fossil for same amount.

On Saturday I got a message from Chase telling me payment had been increased to £279.20. When I contact Chase they blamed the merchant. I have raised a complaint that they have made payment without authorisation.

On Sunday I get a response to my complaint advising me to contact merchant. I repeated that my complaint is with Chase not the merchant. They tell me when I authorise a payment, the merchant can vary this and debit a greater amount if they choose. This does not seem right to me  :cold_sweat:

I have noted, the debit has now been reduced to £114.00.

Has anyone else seen Chase increase the payment without authorisation?

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    missile said:
    They tell me when I authorise a payment, the merchant can vary this and debit a greater amount if they choose. This does not seem right to me
    What type of payment are you referring to?
  • missile
    edited 27 November 2022 at 12:49PM
    Options
    It is an online payment to Fossil for three items. NOT a direct debit mandate

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
  • eskbanker
    Options
    missile said:
    But what actual type of payment, i.e. a faster payment transfer, a debit card purchase, etc?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 27 November 2022 at 1:16PM
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    missile said:
    But what actual type of payment, i.e. a faster payment transfer, a debit card purchase, etc?
    Does it make any difference? In any case the payment can't be bigger than authorised by the customer.
    That said, almost certainly it was a card payment.

• missile
    edited 27 November 2022 at 1:46PM
    Options
    grumbler said:
    eskbanker said:
    missile said:
    Does it make any difference? In any case the payment can't be bigger than authorised by the customer.
    That said, almost certainly it was a card payment.

It was a debit card transaction for an online purchase. As you say it makes no difference. I do not see how I can be debited for more than I authorised. This should be possible only with a DD authorisation.

I am fast losing confidence with Chase. They are continuing to blame the merchant, for something which is (IMHO) clearly their fault.
  • grumbler
    Options

However, I don't know how either you or Fossil can prove what amount you actually authorised. Any confirmation email? But again, I'm pretty sure the burden of proof is on Fossil, not on you.

• eskbanker
    Options
    There are certainly scenarios where a token amount is authorised and the merchant is entitled to take higher values, such as car hire, hotels, pay at pump fuel, etc, but these will typically be situations where the final amount isn't known at the point of authorisation.  However, the point is that it isn't as simple as higher amount = bank fault, so it may be dependent on exactly what terms apply to the purchase....
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,596 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 November 2022 at 1:55PM
    Options
    missile said:
    They tell me when I authorise a payment, the merchant can vary this and debit a greater amount if they choose. This does not seem right to me  :cold_sweat:

If you booked into a hotel they will pre-authorize a certain amount, but if you trash the room they will take a higher value.

Petrol pumps pre-authorize £99 now, but if you have a vehicle that takes more than £99 of fuel they will take more.

• TadleyBaggie
    Options
    phillw said:
    Petrol pumps pre-authorize £99 now, 
    Many pre-authorise more now, I've seen £140 quoted elsewhere.
  • grumbler
    Options
    phillw said:
    Petrol pumps pre-authorize £99 now, 
    Many pre-authorise more now, I've seen £140 quoted elsewhere.
    £120 few days ago at Tesco.
    However, I don't think that preauthorisation can have anything to do with Fossil.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback