Another how much gas do you use. I have my heating on all day.

Options
JohnSwift10
JohnSwift10 Posts: 295 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 15 November 2022 at 7:32PM in Energy
I have my heating on all day from 08:00 to 23:30 with the thermostat set at 21 deg C and live in a 1991 built semi detached house in central Scotland with 300 mm loft insulation, new upvc double glazed windows and cavity wall insulation.
The heating is a worcester bosch combi with 8 radiators.

At present I am using between 33 kWh and 45 kWh of gas, 11 kWh of that approx for  cooking and hot water.

What are people using who only put their heating on for an hour or 2 in the morning and 4 hours in the evening?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It’s not about how long you have it on for, there’s all the other factors such as how well your house is insulated which also impact on the usage.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Less than you - but that's not because of the time it's on for.
  • Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    15.5 hours of heating to 21c and a tank of hot water with only 3 to 4 units used? Really?
  • JohnSwift10
    JohnSwift10 Posts: 295 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2022 at 7:40PM
    Options
    Krakkkers said:
    15.5 hours of heating to 21c and a tank of hot water with only 3 to 4 units used? Really?
    Really.

The heating is a worcester bosch combi
    no tank.
  • Krakkkers
    Krakkkers Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You have the most efficient boiler the world has ever known. (or a broken meter)
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Considering the amount of insulation in OP's house and the fact people are apparently still recording temps of 19℃+ without heating, surely it's less unbelievable than if the external temperatures were much colder than they are.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Considering the amount of insulation in OP's house and the fact people are apparently still recording temps of 19℃+ without heating, surely it's less unbelievable than if the external temperatures were much colder than they are.
    Agreed, my heating isn't even on yet.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    12 kWh average for our electricity for hot water and heating the house 24/7 at 20oC. Air source heat pump and the delight of the toes hitting the underfloor heating in the morning you can't beat it.

Due to some energy saving settings on our Ecodan and the mild weather for this time of year an expected saving of 350kwh over November 2021
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 November 2022 at 8:46PM
    Options
    I have my heating on all day from 08:00 to 23:30 with the thermostat set at 21 deg C and live in a 1991 built semi detached house in central Scotland with 300 mm loft insulation, new upvc double glazed windows and cavity wall insulation.
    The heating is a worcester bosch combi with 8 radiators.

At present I am using between 33 kWh and 45 kWh of gas, 11 kWh of that approx for  cooking and hot water.

What are people using who only put their heating on for an hour or 2 in the morning and 4 hours in the evening?

Your figures do at least seem efficient, I think you will like my reply.

I only use gas for heating water on average once or twice a week.

On days with no heating I use about 3 KwH on the pilot light (old boiler).
    When I heat water it can vary from about 10 up to about 16KwH, depending on when I turn it off.

So I spend half the amount you do to heat water for a bath and dishes.  Whilst you are heating your home the entire day.

I expect if i was to heat the property, it would be considerably higher than yours, wooden framed single glazed windows, gaps around window panes, open part of wall for extractor in bathroom, no wall insulation, no room thermostats.
  • SAC2334
    SAC2334 Posts: 763 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2022 at 10:50PM
    Options
    Krakkkers said:
    You have the most efficient boiler the world has ever known. (or a broken meter)
    I only had my 28kw Combi on for 4 hours last night for first time this Autumn and it used 3 M3 , so 33 khw s = £3.70  which is 92 p an hour !  first time on heating so prob working hard . I ve lowered flow temp to 55 c and hot water to 50 c ...Seems pricey . I m now doing a better reading check over 4 hours and including the hundredths of a unit to get exact usage correct .EDIT..did another four hour tester run and this time noted all 8 numbers on the meter and subtracted the lower which made it  1.352 units .in Four hours used 15.12 kwhs .I d also set the thermostat to 19 c and turned down TRV s in other rooms ..happy with gas spend if £1.54 / 38 p an hour which makes it better than heating main room up with electric fire at 28 p an hour..experiment over. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback