We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Octopus Saving Session

Options

Comments

• Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 November 2022 at 2:43AM
    Options
    Wow its only an hour window to save an entire unit, so its really very heavy users who will benefit from this I think, thats a lot of electric to use in such a short space of time.

I thought they would be doing the entire peak period probably at least 3 hours.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    badger09 said:
    No notification here either but I’ve just opted in. No point really as we typically use between 0.2 & 0.4 units in that hour. 

"Just to check, do partial savings under a unit count accordingly"?

"Yes - every little bit counts"
  • k_man
    k_man Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Chrysalis said:
    Wow its only an hour window to save an entire unit, so its really very heavy users who will benefit from this I think, thats a lot of electric to use in such a short space of time.

I thought they would be doing the entire peak period probably at least 3 hours.
    These first demonstration tests were always planned to be 1 hour, and as above, you don't have to save a whole unit to get Octopoints.

https://www.nationalgrideso.com/electricity-explained/electricity-and-me/esos-demand-flexibility-service

How long will DFS events last? 

DFS demonstration tests will last for one hour and will be run during weekdays with each participating provider (electricity supplier, aggregator etc).  

The ESO will run up to four demonstration tests with each provider in their first full month parties as part of the DFS, followed by two tests in each subsequent month, creating a maximum of 12 tests. 

Live events are likely to last for a longer period if they are needed and could run up to 3-4 hours each. These are most likely to be held late afternoon/ early evening on weekdays when demand for electricity is highest.

https://octopus.energy/blog/saving-sessions-faqs/

There'll be at least 12 Saving Sessions this winter (but likely many more), and they'll be between one and four hours long

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As an observation (not with Octopus personally) we used 1.04 kwh in that hour last night ,with the oven ,microwave and TV plus sound system all in use for most of the hour - to save 1 kwh would mean turning off the fridge/freezer, central heating and sitting in the dark !!!
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It says for every kWh but I'm lucky if I use between 0.1 and 0.2 kWh in that time. Would it be worth switching off the fridge and freezer for an hour? 
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • wild666 said:
    It says for every kWh but I'm lucky if I use between 0.1 and 0.2 kWh in that time. Would it be worth switching off the fridge and freezer for an hour? 
    That depends, it might earn you 20p - only you can decide if that is worth it.
  • My plan is to eat at 4.30pm, then turn everything off, cuddle up on the sofa with a blanket, The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman & burn a nice Yankee.

I am using it as a great excuse to use the Yankee (i buy them not never use them for some reason), and read my book that i have been trying to read for ages :smile:

• Petriix
    Petriix Posts: 2,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 November 2022 at 12:46PM
    Options
    The trial I took part in earlier in the year paid out for every wH saved so it definitely doesn't need to be in whole units. In fact the way the points are divided - 1800 per kWh - means you effectively get 1 point for every 2 seconds in which you reduce your demand by [1 kW], with each point being worth 0.125 of a penny. It might not add up to much, but collectively it will make a huge difference if millions of people take part.

One thing which remains unclear is the notion of an 'In Day Adjustment' which they haven't clearly defined. The most obvious interpretation is that they will adjust the average of the previous 10 days' usage for that hour based on the relative use on the actual day so, if your overall usage on the day is higher than average, your relative saving will be considered to be higher (and vice versa). However, it could be the exact opposite of that and it really isn't clear at all.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    National grid are paying £3 per kWh, more savings made would also appear to benefit Octopus Energy.

https://data.nationalgrideso.com/dfs/demand-flexibility-service-test-events/r/dfs_utilisation_report_-_test

• Petriix said:

One thing which remains unclear is the notion of an 'In Day Adjustment' which they haven't clearly defined. The most obvious interpretation is that they will adjust the average of the previous 10 days' usage for that hour based on the relative use on the actual day so, if your overall usage on the day is higher than average, your relative saving will be considered to be higher (and vice versa). However, it could be the exact opposite of that and it really isn't clear at all.
    I wouldn't expected it to be your relative use that gets compared for the in day adjustment - rather the general system demand or some sort of regional number.

Sort of "you usually use 2kWh, but everyone is using 50% more than normal today so we'll compare your saving against a 3kWh target".  This could end up with a stable use being counted as a saving - i.e. your usage didn't go up when everyone else's did.

Certainly could do with some clarification.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure