We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Travel insurance pre existing medical

Options
Hi All
Just plumbing in some details for an upcoming trip we (family) are taking. My pre existing medical condition is adding about 50 quid onto the quotes. The condition is well under control and take 1 medication per day. Couple of queries.

Am I right in thinking that if i choose not to disclose the condition or take out cover without declaring then any treatment needed for this condition would not be included? BUT everything else would still be covered?

It might seem like a risky move to some but there are a few individual circumstances. Firstly the condition is well controlled, secondly I am a citizen of the country we are travelling to, thirdly the country we are travelling to have a reciprocal agreement with NHS regarding medical care.

All of a sudden I think the 50 quid will be better off in my pocket. After all the main reason I am taking out the insurance is more for medical emergencies (unrelated to pre existing condition), lost baggage etc.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It doesnt quite work that way and insurance companies will have in their t&c’s that any undeclared medical conditions will void your insurance.

their get out would always be that whatever happened to you could be linked to your condition and if you have condition “x” that means you are more likely to have condition “y” etc

I get my insurance through staysure as you can ask them to exclude cover for your condition which therefore reduces your premium.

Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,562 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Nope!
    If you choose not to declare then say you have an emergency. They find out you have condition x.
    Your insurance is now void!

You MUST declare!

Some let you choose not to cover it, but you can declare it.
    That means your won't be covered for it, but you have declared it so you aren't going to invalidate your insurance.

Do not just assume you don't need to declare. You do.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • oz0707
    oz0707 Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok thanks I must've read into the LVE quote page wrong but it appeared to me I could exclude. Like you say I bet if you read terms and conditions they would wiggle out of any claims.

However I would like to exclude the extra 50 quid being as i'd be eligible for treatment there anyway
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 October 2022 at 9:50PM
    Options
    Seems pointless taking out travel insurance and failing to declare a pre-existing condition if you are 100% sure the state can treat you outside the private healthcare system.
    If you need treatment under the latter for any reason your insurance will be void, as explained above.
    Going abroad with compromised medical cover is tempting fate.

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,694 Forumite
    Options
    oz0707 said:
    Ok thanks I must've read into the LVE quote page wrong but it appeared to me I could exclude. Like you say I bet if you read terms and conditions they would wiggle out of any claims.

However I would like to exclude the extra 50 quid being as i'd be eligible for treatment there anyway
    Insurance isn’t just for treatment.
    it also covers abandonment, curtailment, cancellation, taxis for family to hospital, extended accommodation for family which could all be related to your condition.
    you might be covered for health care, but you won’t have these other costs insured if you exclude.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,628 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    £50.  Half a tank of petrol.

Replacing a lost passport can soon be into four figures.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    Options
    And don’t even think about repatriation costs 
  • oz0707
    Options
    daveyjp said:

You do realise the options aren't insurance vs no insurance don't you? 

I'm pretty sure if I lost my passport my medical history would have zero implication. 

I thought the government cracked down on all these insurance companies wiggling out of claims a few years ago. 
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,694 Forumite
    Options
    oz0707 said:
    daveyjp said:

I'm pretty sure if I lost my passport my medical history would have zero implication. 

I thought the government cracked down on all these insurance companies wiggling out of claims a few years ago. 
    People are telling you otherwise. 
    You appear to disbelieve them which begs the question as to why you asked if you are not going to believe the answers.

you might get away with not having your medical history checked if the claim is completely unrelated to health.
    it will be more of a problem if you have an unrelated medical claim where your medical history is checked.
    you might not get away with it and if they believe you have lied about something then how do they know what else you have lied about? Hence their sweeping term and condition not to insure people who have failed to disclose important information.

there was a crackdown on clarity. It is now the insurers obligation to specifically ask you any questions they want to know. So if they specifically ask about pre existing conditions and you unequivocally lie, then yes they can not pay your claim.

caveat; I don’t know what questions have been asked and answered so the above is a theoretical scenario not an accusation.
  • oz0707
    Options
    lisyloo said:
    oz0707 said:
    daveyjp said:

People are telling you otherwise. 
    You appear to disbelieve them which begs the question as to why you asked if you are not going to believe the answers.

you might get away with not having your medical history checked if the claim is completely unrelated to health.
    it will be more of a problem if you have an unrelated medical claim where your medical history is checked.
    you might not get away with it and if they believe you have lied about something then how do they know what else you have lied about? Hence their sweeping term and condition not to insure people who have failed to disclose important information.

there was a crackdown on clarity. It is now the insurers obligation to specifically ask you any questions they want to know. So if they specifically ask about pre existing conditions and you unequivocally lie, then yes they can not pay your claim.

caveat; I don’t know what questions have been asked and answered so the above is a theoretical scenario not an accusation.
    There's been a misunderstanding here. 

I am saying the policy is 50quid cheaper where I have disclosed my medical condition but choose to exclude it from cover. Comparing the 50 quid saved to the cost of replacing a passport if it went missing is like comparing apples and oranges. 

I hear everyone loud and clear regarding the medical condition and cover for that. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure