• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 May at 12:42PM
    Options
    ariarnia said:
    ariarnia said:
    mmmmikey said:
    @[Deleted User] whether it saves money or not is going to vary hugely from one person to another, depending on how much they use it, what they use it for, what they pay for electricity (i.e. solar vs SVR vs E7, etc.) what they would otherwise have done, what assumption you make about energy prices over the life of the air fryer and so on. There are so many variables, so isn't trying to establish a general case somewhat hypothetical? Nothing wrong in trying to work out an average if that's what interests you, but isn't asking how much and air fryer is going to save a "how long is a piece of string" question?

Someone like my Mum, who uses her air fryer every day as a direct replacement for her fan oven is likely to recover the cost well within the device's life time, especially if energy costs go up as predicted next year. 15p per day is £54.75 over the course of a year if you use it every day as she does, which is roughly what she paid for it. OK, maybe a few days missing, but also likely that energy costs (and hence savings) will rise in April. Someone who uses it twice then puts it to the back of the cupboard to collect dust with the soup maker they also don't use will have wasted their money. Someone who received their air fryer as a gift will save money the first time they use it. And so on.
    Thanks, that is more like it.

Rather than saying an air fryer is best and saves money like most other comments above, I agree, it totally depends on the circumstances and this is what I was trying to get from the commenters who were just saying "yes it saves money" without qualifying it.

What people should be saying is something like this:

An air fryer may be more suitable or cheaper if:
    • Typically oven-cook smaller meals for 1-2 people
    • You oven cook regularly
    But may not be suitable or cheaper if you
    • Would more often do quick cook things like a curry / stir fry/ rice / pasta vegetables on a hob
    • Cook for a larger family of 4 or more
    • Cook big things such as pizza, garlic baguettes etc that won't fit in an air fryer.
    • Eat healthy meals with salad and veg
    That's not exhaustive and I'd see that improved if people were more impartial rather than cult-like about air-fryers. 

I am actually tempted to buy one anyway, not for money saving but for the acclaimed crispness without frying.

If you really want to save money on energy, then there is no need to even cook, plenty of hearty cold meals that are nutritional and satisfying.
    :D you're complaining about general statement then making a load of general statements :D

we're a family of 4 who eat what i would call 'healthy' meals with salad and veg. the air fryer bakes not fries and makes wonderful salmon stakes or baked squash. and we make our own pizza dough so make individual bases the exact size needed for our fryer. need i go on...? ;)
    Can you seriously put a pizza to feed 4 people in an air fryer? I've seen the size of them, you must be kidding with me.
    no we cook 4 individual calzones (pizza pasties) in two lots. helps with the fussy eaters and gets everyone involved in cooking (plus good way to use up the last little bits of things). we could do two open pizzas but i tend to do that if were using the last couple of pittas or something with soup. 

As for salmon, a couple of mins in a pan is all it needs, I'd never oven-cook a salmon steak, it would just ruin it.
    good job your not at ours to eat it then. you seem to cook a lot on your hob. i'm not sure we even own a frying pan :D
    So takes twice as long to cook your Calzone than it would in an oven and the first batch goes cold waiting for the second batch to cook. Great for family meals, half eat a cold dinner or separate. Your argument of getting everyone involved isn't exclusive to an air fryer.

As for the salmon, if you are really into money-saving then you wouldn't even be cooking salmon, but I certainly wouldn't spoil it in an air fryer when all it needs is a few minutes of contact with a hot pan to cook restaurant-style.
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ariarnia said:
    ariarnia said:
    mmmmikey said:
    @[Deleted User] whether it saves money or not is going to vary hugely from one person to another, depending on how much they use it, what they use it for, what they pay for electricity (i.e. solar vs SVR vs E7, etc.) what they would otherwise have done, what assumption you make about energy prices over the life of the air fryer and so on. There are so many variables, so isn't trying to establish a general case somewhat hypothetical? Nothing wrong in trying to work out an average if that's what interests you, but isn't asking how much and air fryer is going to save a "how long is a piece of string" question?

Someone like my Mum, who uses her air fryer every day as a direct replacement for her fan oven is likely to recover the cost well within the device's life time, especially if energy costs go up as predicted next year. 15p per day is £54.75 over the course of a year if you use it every day as she does, which is roughly what she paid for it. OK, maybe a few days missing, but also likely that energy costs (and hence savings) will rise in April. Someone who uses it twice then puts it to the back of the cupboard to collect dust with the soup maker they also don't use will have wasted their money. Someone who received their air fryer as a gift will save money the first time they use it. And so on.

Rather than saying an air fryer is best and saves money like most other comments above, I agree, it totally depends on the circumstances and this is what I was trying to get from the commenters who were just saying "yes it saves money" without qualifying it.

• Would more often do quick cook things like a curry / stir fry/ rice / pasta vegetables on a hob
    • Cook big things such as pizza, garlic baguettes etc that won't fit in an air fryer.
    That's not exhaustive and I'd see that improved if people were more impartial rather than cult-like about air-fryers. 

I am actually tempted to buy one anyway, not for money saving but for the acclaimed crispness without frying.

If you really want to save money on energy, then there is no need to even cook, plenty of hearty cold meals that are nutritional and satisfying.
    :D you're complaining about general statement then making a load of general statements :D

we're a family of 4 who eat what i would call 'healthy' meals with salad and veg. the air fryer bakes not fries and makes wonderful salmon stakes or baked squash. and we make our own pizza dough so make individual bases the exact size needed for our fryer. need i go on...? ;)
    Can you seriously put a pizza to feed 4 people in an air fryer? I've seen the size of them, you must be kidding with me.
    no we cook 4 individual calzones (pizza pasties) in two lots. helps with the fussy eaters and gets everyone involved in cooking (plus good way to use up the last little bits of things). we could do two open pizzas but i tend to do that if were using the last couple of pittas or something with soup. 

As for salmon, a couple of mins in a pan is all it needs, I'd never oven-cook a salmon steak, it would just ruin it.
    good job your not at ours to eat it then. you seem to cook a lot on your hob. i'm not sure we even own a frying pan :D
    So takes twice as long to cook your Calzone than it would in an oven and the first batch goes cold waiting for the second batch to cook. Great for family meals, half eat a cold dinner or separate. 
    Hmm... what did i say earlier about judging things before you understand and it making you look silly?

Your argument of getting everyone involved isn't exclusive to an air fryer.
    it wasnt an argument. just giving context for why 4 individual HM pizzas is a better choice for us than one or two big ones from a supermarket. 
    So takes twice as long to cook your Calzone than it would in an oven and the first batch goes cold waiting for the second batch to cook. Great for family meals, half eat a cold dinner or separate. 
    30-40 mins in the oven when you add the pre heat time vs 15 mins each in the air fryer? not sure that works out as 'twice as long' and it takes at least 15 mins to get the kids washed up the table set and the salad/sides sorted. plus if youve ever eaten a calzone then you'd know the filling gets molten so needs a while to sit before you can bite into it. so it works for us. which was my point...

As for the salmon, if you are really into money-saving then you wouldn't even be cooking salmon, but I certainly wouldn't spoil it in an air fryer when all it needs is a few minutes of contact with a hot pan to cook restaurant-style.
    if you can decide its ruined before youve ever tried it then hats off to you. i like to give things the benifit of the doubt at least once. often i'm pleasantly surprised ;) 

maybe you dont remember the point of MSE? martin has always said the site isnt' about spending as little as possible it's about spending as little as possible to live the life you want. for us that includes salmon 
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ariarnia said:
    ariarnia said:
    ariarnia said:
    mmmmikey said:

Hmm... what did i say earlier about judging things before you understand and it making you look silly?

it wasnt an argument. just giving context for why 4 individual HM pizzas is a better choice for us than one or two big ones from a supermarket. 
    30-40 mins in the oven when you add the pre heat time vs 15 mins each in the air fryer? not sure that works out as 'twice as long' and it takes at least 15 mins to get the kids washed up the table set and the salad/sides sorted. plus if youve ever eaten a calzone then you'd know the filling gets molten so needs a while to sit before you can bite into it. so it works for us. which was my point...

if you can decide its ruined before youve ever tried it then hats off to you. i like to give things the benifit of the doubt at least once. often i'm pleasantly surprised ;) 

maybe you dont remember the point of MSE? martin has always said the site isnt' about spending as little as possible it's about spending as little as possible to live the life you want. for us that includes salmon 
    30-40 mins to cook pizza. 

I'm out. No point debating with somebody that thinks it takes 30-40 mins to cook a pizza.
  • ariarnia
    Options
    ariarnia said:
    ariarnia said:
    ariarnia said:
    mmmmikey said:

I'm out. No point debating with somebody that thinks it takes 30-40 mins to cook a pizza.
    have you ever had a calzone? its a pizza folded in half so needs longer to cook through. and if there home made then the dough is raw so takes longer than something from a supermarket. plus time to preheat the oven. i think 30-40 mins is quite a reasonable time to suggest... 

does this help? https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18874/real-italian-calzones/
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • ariarnia
    edited 29 December 2022 at 6:45PM
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I pre-heated my oven.  I thought that was one of those old-fashioned things that people only do out of habit, but that you don't really need to do any more.

I can't say I've noticed any difference, but maybe I'm missing out on something.
    ive not used an oven in 10 years so i havent a clue but ive read its important for dough because if you put it in while its still cold it dried out before the inside is hot and puffs up. and given were taking raw pizza dough then i figure adding 10 mins to the time is probably fair. but i still say the same kind of difference because if you're talking the supermarket ones where you basically just melt the cheese and its done then they'd be about 5 mins in the air fryer (based on doing cheese on toast) so still a lot faster than 'twice as long' to do two. 

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    ariarnia said:
    ariarnia said:
    ariarnia said:
    ariarnia said:
    mmmmikey said:

have you ever had a calzone? its a pizza folded in half so needs longer to cook through. and if there home made then the dough is raw so takes longer than something from a supermarket. plus time to preheat the oven. i think 30-40 mins is quite a reasonable time to suggest... 

Totally lost me, how did the pizza change to Calzone in the space of 1 comment to suit your narrative?

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd probably fail at making cheese on toast using either appliance though, so possibly I'm not the best person to ask.

Getting an air fryer or multi cooker sounds cool to me, especially as I have a range cooker but live alone, they just seem expensive for any of the decent ones.
  • ariarnia
    Options
    ariarnia said:
    ariarnia said:
    ariarnia said:
    ariarnia said:
    mmmmikey said:

Totally lost me, how did the pizza change to Calzone in the space of 1 comment to suit your narrative?

a calzone is a type of pizza... and it didn't change in 1 comment. look back and i was talking about calzones the hole time. 

• ariarnia
    edited 29 December 2022 at 6:45PM
    Options
    I'd probably fail at making cheese on toast using either appliance though, so possibly I'm not the best person to ask.

Getting an air fryer or multi cooker sounds cool to me, especially as I have a range cooker but live alone, they just seem expensive for any of the decent ones.
    we have a slow cooker instant pot remoska and air fryer. the slow cooker is at least 10 years old. the instant pot maybe 6 the remostka ive had since i joined mse in 2009 after reading the old style recipe forum and living in a tiny bed sit with no big oven! the air fryer is the relative newcomer at only about 2 years old. its' one of the reasons i smile when people suggest there appliances only last a couple of years. i dont know what there doing to them but ours get used most days and i dont think ive tuned this oven on other than checking if it actually worked when we first moved in :D

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback