We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Air fryer v oven

Options

Comments

• wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ally_E. said:
    facade said:
    ariarnia said:
    facade said:
    *It makes enough mess inside with congealed oil just cooking chips. I can imagine the horror of tring to clean the baked on residue from chicken, beefburgers, sausages etc!

ours goes in the dishwasher with everything else

Crikey! How big is your dishwasher?

I could put the pan thingie in mine, but not with anything else on that shelf.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I've been scraping mine with a white scourer and degreaser, I'll try dishwashing it next time.
    You can get lining paper for air fryers, most people I know use them for ease of cleaning https://amzn.eu/d/dfg3KL8

They come in different sizes and shapes to suit different air fryers 
    The lining papers are just greaseproof paper cut to the size of certain air fryers same as the papers for separating burgers it's cheaper to buy 10 meters of greaseproof paper for £2, or less, rather than £10 for 100 sheets of the pre-sized paper for air fryers 
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Doesn’t that defeat the “air fryer is cheaper” if you’re buying bespoke single use liners to avoid cleaning?
  • clearancer
    Options
    Ally_E. said:
    facade said:
    ariarnia said:
    facade said:
    *It makes enough mess inside with congealed oil just cooking chips. I can imagine the horror of tring to clean the baked on residue from chicken, beefburgers, sausages etc!

ours goes in the dishwasher with everything else

Crikey! How big is your dishwasher?

I could put the pan thingie in mine, but not with anything else on that shelf.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I've been scraping mine with a white scourer and degreaser, I'll try dishwashing it next time.
    You can get lining paper for air fryers, most people I know use them for ease of cleaning https://amzn.eu/d/dfg3KL8

They come in different sizes and shapes to suit different air fryers 
    I almost set my fryer on fire! Warmed up my breakfast croissant (3 minutes on 120 degrees), grabbed the croissant with tongs but left the liner in. Closed the drawer. Liner was sucked up to heating element and started to char!!!! Entirely my fault. I left the liner in the basket and the fryer still had a couple of seconds left on the timer. Lesson learned 
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 October 2022 at 10:36AM
    Options
    Doesn’t that defeat the “air fryer is cheaper” if you’re buying bespoke single use liners to avoid cleaning?
    which would be why we use our existing silicon cake moulds. reusable and fireproof!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09BQCPXB7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ariarnia said:
    which would be why we use our existing silicon cake moulds. reusable and fireproof!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09BQCPXB7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
    Now that seems like a more sensible idea - multipurpose and reusable.
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah I also have silicon mats for the rack - got 3 from ebay for a few quid. They have holes in so designed for air fryer. The only thing with the mats is that you do  have to be more careful to rotate the food part way through the cook, or the bit in contact with silicon doesn't crisp. The drawer itself is coated with non-stick so a very quick wipe around usually does it. How mucky the whole thing get varies on what you're cooking anyway. Put sausages or other greasy meat in there, then you'll get a puddle of fat in the bottom as you'd expect, and you might want to stick something in the bottom to catch it. Put a croissant or nuggets or anything fairly dry in and it's really just crumbs.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 October 2022 at 12:37PM
    Options
    There are also these which can go into the dishwasher - 2Pcs Air Fryer Silicone Pot for Ninjas Dual Air Fryer, Reusable Silicone Air Fryer Liners Double Basket with Handle Replacement of Parchment Paper Liners for Air Fryer, Oven, and Microwave(Grey) : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

I cooked a Sainsbury's chicken and ham pie together with dauphinoise potatoes in our Ninja - ten minutes shorter time than the oven, no preheating and I'd guess probably around half the energy consumption.

With previous tests the air-fryer takes around 0.5-.0.75kwh to cook stuff whereas our oven is rated at 2kw and takes around 12 minutes to get up to temperature, which is around 400wh before it's even started cooking.

My wife did sausage, bacon and black pudding for seven of us with it on Sunday - eggs were done in the frying pan. Much easier and quicker and she didn't have to use the oven to keep stuff warm

It probably wont save us a lot of money in the short term until it's paid for itself, but it saves a lot of effort, it's a bit quicker, definitely uses a bit less energy than the oven and is infinitely easier to clean than the oven.

I was a bit sceptical when SWMBO bought it, but I'm pretty well convinced now we've had it a couple of months I particularly like the "sync" function which allows different times and temps to be programmed for each drawer and it automatically synchronises the finish times which means you can let it get on with it whilst doing something else.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • thriftytracey
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing a toad in the hole next week (within a silicon mould). I will part cook the sausages first.

Any tips?  Not sure how long to cook it for?  Will add caramelised onions in the last few minutes of cooking.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Alternatively,
    - buy air fryer (infinitely cheaper to buy than an oven, needs no wiring in, uses less space, portable)
    - put food in drawer
    - clean removable base and maybe the drawer if it needs it

Our air fryer drawer has a removable base and as someone said above, often it's more just crumbs than any real grease.  And when the the entire drawer does need cleaning, it's still smaller to clean than an oven tray.
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing a toad in the hole next week (within a silicon mould). I will part cook the sausages first.

Any tips?  Not sure how long to cook it for?  Will add caramelised onions in the last few minutes of cooking.
    it sounds delisious. ive not tried it before but i have cooked spanish omelette and i'm thinking its probably about the same. i'd probably cook the sausages for about 15 mins (not pre-heating) then turn them over so the other side browns and pour int he batter while the pan is as hot as possible. then cook on maybe 180 for 15 or 20 mins before checking if it looks it needs another 10 mins or so? the clean knife test or if it jiggles. dont forget you can put foil on top if its burning too much but you're not sure if its set through. let us know how it goes? 
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure