We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Air fryer v oven

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 January 2023 at 2:19PM
    Options
    SPnomore said:
    Obviously during the colder months, when the majority of people have some form of heating on, you have to offset any theoretical small energy saving by the house heating coming on by a corresponding amount. Then you have to take into account that a cheap plug-in device is not designed to last as long as a proper kitchen appliance, especially if used daily so you have to account for replacements and you don't buy a new oven every time a thin non-stick lining starts to fall apart.
    if you are having trouble with your air fryer pan can i point out (i think it was mentioned earlier in the thread) a lot of people use silicon or paper liners for 'messy' things. its the same as you would use baking trays in the oven. ours is used most days and is holding up well so reading reviews might also help if yours doesn't last more than a couple of years. 

and (becuse this thread was resurrected by someone) i'll take this opportunity to share this conversion calculator for oven to air fryer in case its useful for anyone. obviously as was said earlier you need to use your judgement for when something is cooked and a meat thermometer is recomededd for joints. just like using a big oven. 

It is usually very easy to convert packet instruction and recipes from oven to air fryer. However, the time and the temperature both need to be adjusted:

• Reduce the temperature by around 35°F/ 20°C
    • Reduce the cooking time by around 20%

You can use the air fryer calculator below to convert traditional oven recipes for the air fryer. This oven to air fryer conversion calculator includes options for Fahrenheit (°F) and Celsius (°C). 

Remember, all air fryers are different and the exact time and temperature settings will depend on the make and model of air fryer, and the size of the ingredients, among other factors.

https://lovefoodnotcooking.com/air-fryer-calculator/

and if this is easier for some people (inc some very tasty example recipes that we have tried ourselves) 

https://pinchofnom.com/how-to-convert-recipes-to-an-air-fryer/

Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SPnomore said:
    Made more sense, of course, when they were £25 to £30. Paying much more than that is just buying in to a fad rather than making a saving. Many people have double ovens anyway with one smaller than the other so comparing them to a "main oven" is often wrong and proper ovens are obviously much better insulated so once up to temperature they don't use much to maintain temperature, compared with a counter top tin basket constantly leaking heat and a rear "exhaust", especially when you have to keep removing the basket to "shake" all the heat out.

that's your opinion. our experience has proved otherwise. but perhaps it helps that we dont have a double oven and dont keep having to remove the basket to shake it? 

and i thought you were saying the idea of them leaking heat shouldn't be something to worry about? because "Obviously during the colder months, when the majority of people have some form of heating on, you have to offset any theoretical small energy saving by the house heating coming on by a corresponding amount." 

ah well. i'm off to glaze the gammon that i cooked earlier in the instant pot. so glad i dont have to heat up a whole oven just to finish off one small joint :)
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure