Economy 7 and ending of RTS (Radio Teleswitch Service)

Options

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    QrizB said:
    macman said:
    Why would a change of supplier affect your smart metering? A new meter would be SMETS2 and should work with any change of supplier.
    By a 'digital'meter, do you mean an RTS meter, or a conventional clockwork meter?
    I've realised now I'm doing more looking into it that I don't know, although I believe there should be something on the meter itself that makes it clear.
    Post a photo of your meter and any associated wiring leading to your consumer unit(s) and we can tell you :)

It's usually fairly obvious from the mechanism: on older clockwork-style meters, the timing cogs are visible. 
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    davew62 said:

dunstonh said:
    I have a digital meter with no circuit switching.  Everything is done on timers.   So, not an issue for me, but I had heard about this.
    How do you know when your off-peak supply is so that you can set your timers?
    I imagine the E7 switching timer belongs to the energy company, not to dunstonh.
    A bit like the one on the far right of this photo:

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    QrizB said:
    macman said:
    Why would a change of supplier affect your smart metering? A new meter would be SMETS2 and should work with any change of supplier.
    By a 'digital'meter, do you mean an RTS meter, or a conventional clockwork meter?
    I've realised now I'm doing more looking into it that I don't know, although I believe there should be something on the meter itself that makes it clear.
    Post a photo of your meter and any associated wiring leading to your consumer unit(s) and we can tell you :)

Thank you kindly! Now the meter I can do - that bit is easy. The bits *below* the meter though are covered by a metal plate which I’m not going to be removing, so not easily accessible. The below is the best I can do…

🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 26 September 2022 at 9:22PM
    Options
    Landis + Gyr 5246C.  Isn't that a 5-terminal meter (one switched live and one un-switched live)?

If so, off-peak is when the light next to 100A  (the top one) is red.  Can't easily read the time off those without downloading the firmware IIRC.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 December 2022 at 6:45PM
    Options
    Landis + Gyr 5246C.  Isn't that a 5-terminal meter (one switched live and one un-switched live)?

If so, off-peak is when the light next to 100A  (the top one) is red.  Can't easily read the time off those without downloading the firmware IIRC.
    Yes, and yes, I know when the off-peak is. That wasn’t the question! 😉 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, that's the one!
    I guess the easiest way to check the E7 timings is to stay up and see when the red light comes on, then get up early to see when it turns off. If the two times are 7hrs apart, you know when it switches. If they're more than 7hrs apart you might have one of those E7 periods where there's a gap in the middle ...
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Ah, it appears I pressed post without entering the last line.

"This is an entirely internal timeclock then - no clockwork dials, no external timer, no RTS.... just a dumb digital meter from just before the smart meter rollout."
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 September 2022 at 9:54PM
    Options

"This is an entirely internal timeclock then - no clockwork dials, no external timer, no RTS.... just a dumb digital meter from just before the smart meter rollout."
    That’s good news then. It was the very audible loud click as it switches over that made us unsure as it sounded more “mechanical” than anything that would have come from the meter itself.
     Thank you! 

Our E7 is - thank goodness - entirely standard. Currently comes on at 0112, off again at 0812. 😁
    she/her
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

That’s good news then. It was the very audible loud click as it switches over that made us unsure as it sounded more “mechanical” than anything that would have come from the meter itself.
     Thank you! 
    That loud click is almost certainly the switch (relay contactor) inside the meter turning on the off-peak only circuit.  It's a chunky 100A switch.
  • Rosie1001
    Options
     Mine had a noticeable click as well .

they have looked at my meter before with view to changing it , but said they have no alternative to put in 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback