Does Duvet Brand Matter?

Hi,
might seem strange question, but do you think the brand of a duvet matters? I know the tog rating does. 

I bought a cheap 15 tog duvet last year and now it’s as flat s a pancake and even now (22nd Sept) it’s really cold. So I’m going to look to get a new one, but do I go for a more expensive one? Does it matter what brand or how much it is, will a more expensive one last a few years if I spend a bit more?  I’m going for another 15 tog one. 

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Wool duvet everytime.

Warm in winter, cool in summer, no bulk and don't go flat like feather duvets.  
  • goodwithsavinggoodwithsaving Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There are so many different types of duvet before you even consider brands. 

I've found one that I like and I stick to it.  M&S goose feather and down for our house.  I like the lightness yet warmth of it and how the pockets allow it to drape. 

It's always going to be different to a Tesco Value one, for example.  
    Same one for me. I had a very old John Lewis one and tried many, but couldn't bear to part with the John Lewis one. The M&S Goose feather and down was a worthy replacement and is still on my bed two years later. You get what you pay for. 
  • comeandgocomeandgo Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think if you buy a cheap duvet it’s the same as buying anything cheap.  You are not going to get the best available.  For duvets there are so many different fillings from wool, silk, feather to cheap and nasty plastic fillings. I like my duvets warm and light weight.
  • jonnydeppiwish!jonnydeppiwish! Forumite
    416 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    daveyjp said:
    Wool duvet everytime.

Warm in winter, cool in summer, no bulk and don't go flat like feather duvets.  
    I have to say I agree - we’ve had the same wool duvet for 15 years and it’s amazing all year round (except when it’s still 20 degrees + at night). The weight it good and there’s no movement of the wool that you sometimes get in down.
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • flashg67flashg67 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    we've found the Julian Charles 'feels like down' ones good - not cheap (partner is allergic to wool & feather so not an option for us)
  • wuzzypoowuzzypoo Forumite
    115 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you all for your replies. 
    I’ve never heard of a wool duvet before. I’ll have to go and have a look at them now, along with the M&S one mentioned. I think I agree with things like this you get what you pay for so it’s worth spending that bit more if it’s going to last longer.

I did once get a feather & down duvet which cost quite a bit. Can’t remember the brand but it was very short and was like sleeping in a crisp packet :smiley: . I ended up getting another one. 

Thanks again all 
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I wouldn't but brands like Argos/Wilko value for a winter duvet, but have been more than happy with Slumberdown. 
  • Catpuss66Catpuss66 Forumite
    91 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Try soak & sleep, got the most expensive one I could afford, still going 10 + years on, just recently been cleaned got 9 tog Hungarian feather & down I think. Get all of my linen from them good quality can get if shrewd good prices.
  • CatsacorCatsacor Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mine's a duck and goose down, 15 tog,bought from the Argos website but can't remember the brand, it's a nice mid-weight one as i like to feel something ontop of me.
    In the, rare, hot night occasions (like in July and August this year) i swap it over for a 3 tog duck down.
    First, take responsibility .....