Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

The Homeless

Options
I know lots of Charities need clothing etc, but if you are having a sort out this winter please bear in mind any homeless Charities in your area.
I am going this week to my local center give lots of warm clothing and bedding which they desparately need (you all know how cold it is outside at the mo). Im also asking my friends before I go, so hopefully I can take lots of supplies with me!

Comments

• jarrod1
    jarrod1 Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    what a good idea
  • busydaffodil1
    Options
    I have been looking for somewhere over Xmas where I could go help out. I cannot find any shelters local. I live near Newport, Gwent, South Wales.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This Christmas, why not give them the gear they really want that got them homeless in the first place. Cannabis, cocaine, heroine, and not forgetting fags and booze - or just give them the money, they know where to get the gear.

Most people who are on the street homeless are homeless through choice, or their own action or inaction. For most people there is usually hostels and bed and breakfasts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/3658763.stm
  • ebaybaby
    Options
    anewman wrote: »
    This Christmas, why not give them the gear they really want that got them homeless in the first place. Cannabis, cocaine, heroine, and not forgetting fags and booze - or just give them the money, they know where to get the gear.

Most people who are on the street homeless are homeless through choice, or their own action or inaction. For most people there is usually hostels and bed and breakfasts.

What an awful attitude you have.
    I really dont care why these people are on the streets, they are, and I cant stand getting from my car into the house on a cold night let alone sleep out there.
    It can happen to ANYONE, just remember that, one day it could be one of your family member's or close friends.
    Thank God we dont all share your view.

Busydaffodil1, good for you! Maybe you could try these, If they cant help Im sure they will point you in the right direction:

Newport Action For The Single Homeless Ltd

49 George Street NEWPORT, Gwent, NP20 2AA

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

That isn't true. If you are single and find yourself without a home, the attitude is really "sort yourself out, we've got families to house". There really is nowhere to go.
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

And how exactly would they pay for these b&b's etc...

Not to mention the fact that if any of them turned up looking dirty and probably rather ill, they would be promptly told there is no room at the inn...

Oh I know how they would pay - through the jobs, Which they can JUST WALK INTO.....

And why not give them what they really want...switch places with them and let them live with a loving family in a warm home with food in the cupboards.

What a narrow minded, cold-hearted outlook you have. Not to mention the fact that you are a fool if you believe everything/anything the media drip-feeds you

I will not post on this thread again because I am quite cross and will end up shouting......

I would just like to add that I applaud those of you that are heping out over this wretched time of year.......(but don't forget it is still cold up until march)

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • ebaybaby
    ebaybaby Posts: 873 Forumite
    Options
    You are so right Mel! I am fuming here.:mad:
  • busydaffodil1
    Options

And a Very Merry Christmas to you too. I will not condemn you and your opinions as we are all entitled to them but I wil put you right about some things.
    If a couple split, the adults who have no dependent children are homeless. Councils have no legal obligation to even supply temporary or B & B accomodation. If the adults also have no jobs and savings, they cannot get private rented as many landlords will not take DDS and usually require a substantial bond.
    Also, peoples circumstances change. Loss of job, loss of partner, depression, etc.

I wish you a merry Christmas and hope the chill in your heart thaws soon.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Joe_Hunter wrote: »
    I love the idea of providing a xmas dinner- get together with your local council and church hall to organsie an xmas dinner.

Place posters up in the areas where the homeless 'hang' around saying something like, 'free xmas dinner for the homeless on 25th December at St. Freds Chruch at 12pm'.

Have xmas music, dinner and some games like bingo and then finally make their day by giving them all a present like a sleeping bag etc.

I have never done this put plan to when I am older, what u all think?
    I admire your spirit, however, when you are older do check whether there is something like this already happening, and if there doesn't seem to be, start your research early and try to visit other places where it HAS happened and learn from their mistakes ...

Don't know how old or where you are: Caring at Christmas in Bristol will take you from 16, and would probably be glad to meet you mid-year to talk you through what's involved! Admittedly they offer far more than just lunch, but you can appreciate that it's quite hard to say to a group of people you've just given a splendid lunch to "OK, 4 pm now, off you go into the cold and we'll away home to our nice warm firesides."
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • firesidemaid
    Options

:mad:

in fact, i would say most people are on the streets due to mental health problems and lack of help and support in these matters.

it is very easy for someone to become ill and 'get through the net' so that they have no money, help or professional support.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure