We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

'Swap out' postage stamps

If you have a little stock of stamps, don't forget to 'swap them out' via Royal Mail before early next year for the ones with the bar code. I did my 1st & 2nd small & large (I 'inherited' several), just received bar coded in exchange. Think time runs out Jan/Feb, so thought it best to get it done before any 11th hour rush!
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,937 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts PPI Party Pooper Name Dropper
    We'' only bother about changing them in January.  Many will be used sending C******** cards out.  I won't use the word before December :-)
  • greyfox
    greyfox Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just a word of warning. My late husband had a large number of low-value stamps (1p,2p,5p,10p) as well as a number of definitives. (No, I don't know why he had quite so many, either!) Had I realised that the bar-coded replacements were about 3 times the size I would have delayed swapping them out, although some friends have been amused to receive Birthday cards in envelopes almost completely covered in stamps bar a small window for their address!

• SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,368 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    greyfox said:
    Just a word of warning. My late husband had a large number of low-value stamps (1p,2p,5p,10p) as well as a number of definitives. (No, I don't know why he had quite so many, either!) Had I realised that the bar-coded replacements were about 3 times the size I would have delayed swapping them out, although some friends have been amused to receive Birthday cards in envelopes almost completely covered in stamps bar a small window for their address!

Goodness, I didn't even realise they did stamps in those denominations! I still can't figure out why my late mum had about 15 large 1st class, she rarely posted anything to anyone, not even in December.

I agree they are pretty massive, the stamp part is about 1/3rd of the old stamp bigger + the barcode on the side.  By the time you've stuck all those small denominations on, your envelopes are probably overweight for the ordinary 1st/2nd class postage.   :D
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,410 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I didn't realise the stamps with a value on had to be swapped out, just the ones with 1st and 2nd on?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,368 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Savvy_Sue said:
    I didn't realise the stamps with a value on had to be swapped out, just the ones with 1st and 2nd on?
    I think it's anything with 1st/2nd &/or any denomination price indication along with the Queen's head. My Royal Mail letter said if they rec'd any denomination ones they no longer sold they'd make up the return bar coded stamp value with their 2nd class stamps. Exclusions for Christmas & other themed ones though - I think that's weird, either they need to be bar coded or they don't!

I think Martin has an article somewhere here.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Rampant Recycler First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm almost pretty certain that you can swap them until the end of March next year so Iam not rushing.

I am using all my oddments up when I send  small packets (I do that about once a month) - that's when small denominations come in handy to make the full amount: I try very very hard not to overpay!!

My friendly postie very kindly brought me a couple of envelopes from the sorting office which saved me a trip.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:37 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=178 £96.25 spent!!!
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,603 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Name Dropper 10 Posts Photogenic
    Savvy_Sue said:
    I think it's anything with 1st/2nd &/or any denomination price indication along with the Queen's head. My Royal Mail letter said if they rec'd any denomination ones they no longer sold they'd make up the return bar coded stamp value with their 2nd class stamps. Exclusions for Christmas & other themed ones though - I think that's weird, either they need to be bar coded or they don't!

This article:  https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/08/stamps-royal-mail-swap-out-six-months/

The headline might be what's causing Savvy Sue some confusion.

Here's the Royal Mail guide as to what needs to be swapped.  https://www.royalmail.com/sites/royalmail.com/files/2022-03/Stamp-Images-for-swap-out.pdf

Christmas stamps are barcoded (started last year).  RM were going to invalidate them but changes their mind earlier this year.
    I need to think of something new here...
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,410 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    NBLondon said:
    Savvy_Sue said:

This article:  https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/08/stamps-royal-mail-swap-out-six-months/

The headline might be what's causing Savvy Sue some confusion.

Here's the Royal Mail guide as to what needs to be swapped.  https://www.royalmail.com/sites/royalmail.com/files/2022-03/Stamp-Images-for-swap-out.pdf

Christmas stamps are barcoded (started last year).  RM were going to invalidate them but changes their mind earlier this year.
    Indeed, it is the 'everyday' in the title which led me astray. 

I'm not sure we've had any publicity about this at work: I sent a link to the article to my colleague who keeps the stock of stamps, with the comment "I'm sure you're all over this!" to be told they'd heard nothing about it! We've now started sending the 'old' stamps back. 

I'm sure they won't cut off the swap scheme as soon as the old ones are invalid, so I'm doing nothing just yet. I don't have huge stocks but I may end up with a few. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,603 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Name Dropper 10 Posts Photogenic
    Savvy_Sue said:
    I'm sure they won't cut off the swap scheme as soon as the old ones are invalid, so I'm doing nothing just yet. I don't have huge stocks but I may end up with a few. 
    I'd expect it to carry on at least another 6 months i.e. to mid 2023

greyfox said:
    Just a word of warning. My late husband had a large number of low-value stamps (1p,2p,5p,10p) as well as a number of definitives. (No, I don't know why he had quite so many, either!) 
    Goodness, I didn't even realise they did stamps in those denominations! 

They're known as "make-up" stamps because you need them when the rate changes; you add them to an old stamp to make it up to the new rate.   E.G.  you have a £1.70 stamp for Europe from earlier in the year - you now need a 10p and 5p to make the new rate of £1.85.

If you have a lot of these to swap; you will get a lot of barcoded ones back.  So if you don't think you will use those it might be a better idea to sell them on - either on eBay or to a dealer.
    I agree they are pretty massive, the stamp part is about 1/3rd of the old stamp bigger + the barcode on the side.  By the time you've stuck all those small denominations on, your envelopes are probably overweight for the ordinary 1st/2nd class postage.   :D
    It's a pain for postcards.  Especially if you are adding a make-up stamp as well.
    I need to think of something new here...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.