Evasive action! Stop the trench becoming a hole.

Options

Comments

• sparklers_2
    Options
    @KeepOnKnitting, thanks for your kind comment on my diary! Have subscribed to yours.:) Feel free to ignore but I have some ideas for you

For food at work, I have been putting a portion of what ever i cook in the evening into a container and then taking it frozen into work.  By the time lunch arrives, it's defrosted and I have a work microwave. I also keep a proper plate and knife and fork in my desk so I don't have to eat out of a container. It's slightly more interesting than a sandwich and cuts down on home waste

And for the sticky windows, nail polish remover or baby oil will strip the sticky bits. I put it on and let it sit for a bit and then use the edge of my bank card as a scraper :) 
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh the uses we come up with for bank cards (other than spending on them obviously)  I use mine to clean the filter on my tumble drier.  It works better than anything else.
  • KeepOnKnitting
    Options
    I've started making a week of sandwiches at a time. Sadly I don't have a desk, and I could be eating lunch at any of a number of different buildings, or even in my car or out and about in town, so cutlery would be a complication. 

As for the sticky, I have some alcohol wipes that do the trick, so each time I find a bit more sticky somewhere that I had missed, I can get it cleaned up. It is more that I keep finding it even when I think I've got it all!

I've got an old bank card as my windscreen scraper. They're so handy. :smiley:

I can't quite believe it is Monday again. Where do the weekends go?!
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
    January take lunch to work goal - 13 of 19
  • KeepOnKnitting
    Options
    So it is official, my company are not bidding for the contract from April. Or at least, not as it currently stands. Turmoil and TUPE drama to follow in the new year.  :'(
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
  • KeepOnKnitting
    KeepOnKnitting Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 October 2022 at 9:00PM
    Options
    Everything with work has left me feeling really flat the last few days. I fell off the wagon this morning and didn't bother taking lunch to work. I bought a treat lunch from M&S, including some yellow sticker crisps, but then I got to do an afternoon of my favourite part of my job, and I started feeling a bit better. 

I came home and took a walk on the beach to help a bit more with my mental health, and then had tea at home rather than any more eating out. 

I've booked the car in to have the CV joint repaired, as I have been getting really nervous that it's just going to seize and then I will need to be towed. I don't even know if that is a thing that actually happens, but the thought scares me.

I've also worked out a lower cost door handle solution. I kept looking at all the lovely period or reclaimed door mechanisms, and I was tallying about £50 per door as a minimum. I just can't justify that right now, but I've found a cheap similar option from a DIY supplier for £13.50 per door. It's still about £80 for 6 doors, but once I get them shutting I can look at getting a lodger. I just have to tell myself that spending the money is the right thing to do in the long run, even if it feels difficult in the short term.
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
  • KeepOnKnitting
    Options
    I did it! I used the scary big saw! Feeling like such a capable DIYer now. 
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
  • KeepOnKnitting
    Options
    Finally taking the plunge and buying the door handles feels like I've freed up the DIY block I was having. I've been busy yesterday and today, and I've still got until Tuesday to crack on. I've got two doors that close now, including one with mesh so the cats can meet more. I'll do at least another mesh door tomorrow, and then I can start progressing to the point where I can think about a lodger. Going to sleep very happy tonight. 
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
  • KeepOnKnitting
    Options
    I completed the second mesh door yesterday. More importantly, just like on Friday and Saturday, I didn't order takeaway even though I was really tired. Freezer teas for the win!

Today I'm planning to swap the bedrooms over. I'll disassemble and move two beds, put the little wardrobe in the 3rd bedroom as a cat tower, and then work on all the little stuff. I also want to put up some shelves in two of the rooms. I'm planning to use scrap wood for this.

Also on the list for today is laundry, hoovering, washing up and a quick trip to Tesco for bread and porridge. I'd better get moving!
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
  • WinterWarrior
    Options
    Well done on all the diy, that’s very impressive.
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £900 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 1lb so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• KeepOnKnitting
    KeepOnKnitting Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 October 2022 at 9:39AM
    Options

Some cat tax of them "helping" me to move furniture.
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport