Ecodan - are these COP figures correct?

Comments

• shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    @dllive

I think your external meter is more likely to be right than your internal numbers.  I think there are different ways the FTC controller can be wired up and it, and the external meter might be measuring different things.  The Ecodan consumed figure is surely wrong; if I understand your numbers it's using more than your main meter as well as the ASHP one. 

One thing I'd say; if you are using external meters - electrical and/or heat meters - you need to 'tell' the FTC via dip switches.  It might be worth checking this. The original installer of my electric and heat meters messed up their installation and this made the Ecodan display numbers nonsense.  It's fixed now. 

Do you have Melcloud btw?      

• dllive
    dllive Posts: 1,205
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    If youre right @shinytop (and I suspect you are) I will be very happy.

As you say - if the figure is to be believed - its using more than my main meter reading!! So surely its the internal meter thats wrong. This is encouraging!

Im not using external meters (that I know of). Its just the default setup that the installers left me with.

Ive just had a quick look at the Melcloud. That looks good! I will install and have a play.

• dllive
    Forumite
    Ah, Ive just read that Ill need to '... contact your local Mitsubishi Electric branch for more details on how to purchase the Wi-Fi Interface.' . What are the benefits of using Melcloud? It will likely just tell me the same consumption figures as the Ecodan does?
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    dllive said:
    Ah, Ive just read that Ill need to '... contact your local Mitsubishi Electric branch for more details on how to purchase the Wi-Fi Interface.' . What are the benefits of using Melcloud? It will likely just tell me the same consumption figures as the Ecodan does?
    It's a bit more than that; you get better access to the data (e.g. date selection) and you can also see flow and HW temps over time. I see now what your additional meters are; different from mine, which looks like my main electricity meter.  You'd need this to make Melcloud work:  

https://www.swatengineering.co.uk/shop/mitsubishi-electric-wifi-adapter-mac-557if-melcloud

It's easy enough to install yourself.

• dllive
    Forumite
    shinytop said:
    dllive said:
    It's a bit more than that; you get better access to the data (e.g. date selection) and you can also see flow and HW temps over time. I see now what your additional meters are; different from mine, which looks like my main electricity meter.  You'd need this to make Melcloud work:  

https://www.swatengineering.co.uk/shop/mitsubishi-electric-wifi-adapter-mac-557if-melcloud

It's easy enough to install yourself.

Yes, I have 2 additional meter readings that the installers added to my consumer unit:  One for the heat pump, and the other for the heat pump's immersion heater. 
  • We have the same issue with Heating consuming kWh without delivering anything this summer (only just found it a week or so ago) - we'd thought the heating wouldn't kick in whilst the temperature was high enough, and indeed it didn't, but from what I'm reading does this mean that even turning the heating *off* won't prevent the errant consumption? 

July and August it consumed 34 and 50kWh respectively, and September before the heating kicked in it consumed 30.  Which is an unacceptable expense, our usage is high anyway (although we are trying to cut back) and this really really doesn't help.  It can't even have been spent on keeping itself warm, it's on the sunniest and most sheltered wall and we had heat waves!

I have to say though that our overall COP in previous years has been 2.66 and 2.44, with heating despite that apparent vampire load working out at 2.88 and 2.5 in 2020 and 2021 respectively, and that's with the settings having been left as installed, we've only just started to understand it this month.  (Though I guess I'm less fussed about the COP and more just wanting to get our usage down, actually.)
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,568
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 October 2022 at 12:13PM
    Our Daikin uses around 120 watts when "off" = 2.9kwh a day or 20odd a week. We get around it by shutting the unit off completely and just turning it on to heat the hot water, usually every other day.We have a 200l tank and there's enough hot water for both of us, possibly not if you've got more people all clamouring for hot water.

It takes less than two hours and uses around 1.5-2kwh to reheat the tank to 45 degrees. That works out at around 8kwh a week - a useful saving during the summer months

We are fairly frugal with our hot water, only taking short showers (2-3 minutes) and the shower head is limited to 6lpm. Washing up gets done in the dishwasher3-4 times a week and other stuff like rinsing uses cold water rather than hot (well I do, my wife seems to be unaware of the cold side of the mixer taps) but we dont run out of hot water.

Now winter is drawing nigh, we leave it on all the time to get on with it - unfortunately though, the hot water timer only works on a 24hr basis, so it gets reheated every day during the winter.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,137
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 3 October 2022 at 1:51PM
    There seems like quite a palaver, to have to manually turn it on and off!  We'll have to experiment when summer comes; now it's cold the water really does need heating daily but perhaps in the warmer months it won't. Hmm. 

I find it incredible something that's supposed to be efficient actually wastes so much energy though, and these are being foisted onto social tenants with no choice in the matter and almost no education; certainly they don't mention this massive vampire load!  I appreciate the efficiency aside from that, but as you may be able to tell, I'm pretty miffed to realise it's been wasting literally hundreds of kWh in the warmer months since we've had it.
  • dllive
    Forumite
    @Spoonie_Turtle - Do you have a dedicated ASHP meter reading on your consumer unit? If so, compare that reading with your Consumption reading. With mine, the Consumption figure is more than what the ASHP figure shows in my consumer unit. (which cant be right!)
  • dllive said:
    @Spoonie_Turtle - Do you have a dedicated ASHP meter reading on your consumer unit? If so, compare that reading with your Consumption reading. With mine, the Consumption figure is more than what the ASHP figure shows in my consumer unit. (which cant be right!)
    I don't fully understand what you mean, sorry.  Consumer unit of what?  Where exactly would it likely be, in really simple terms?

(With our monthly electric consumption it is eminently possible for it to be consuming that much.)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback