EasyJet- cancellation due to severe illness

Options
We were due to fly out to Crete in May for a last holiday before my wife gave birth. She’d been given the all clear by the doctor and we were very much looking forward to relaxing before the chaos of having our first child.

Unfortunately, two days before, she became suddenly seriously ill and was admitted to hospital, placed in high dependency,  with a life threatening illness. The next day they performed an emergency c section, and baby was taken to neo natal, where he stayed for 5 weeks due the his premature delivery.

i contacted easyJet and explained the situation. They agreed to give us a full refund on the grounds of being unable to fly due to sever illness. I have this in writing. They then started to ask me to jump through a load of hoops, obtaining different documents. I explained that I was going through a very stressful period but adhered to their requested promptly. I waiting for weeks for their response each time, after my prompt follow up. 

Now (months later) they’ve come back saying they won’t offer me a refund but a voucher instead. Our baby is on oxygen and we’re unlikely to fly any time soon.

Given the extreme situation, the fact that they agreed to a refund in writing, and that I’ve done everything they’ve asked of me, I’m pretty pee’d off.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    An unpleasant situation exacerbated by EasyJet's response - I wasn't aware that they'd refund in circumstances like this (and would have assumed it would be an insurance claim) but if they committed in writing to a refund then they should obviously honour this.  Did they explicitly say a money-back cash refund as opposed to a voucher of equivalent value?
  • stevoh
    stevoh Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. Yes they did.

Their policy also states:

If you need to cancel due to your serious illness or close family bereavement, please contact our Customer Services Team as soon as you can. Our team will review your case and we may, in our discretion, offer you a fee waiver or flight voucher towards the value of a subsequent flight. You may be asked to provide proof of these special circumstances.

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That policy does seem to suggest a voucher (assuming 'fee waiver' relates to waiving the normally-charged change fee), but if they promised a cash refund then reneged on this, keep escalating within EasyJet up to and including CEO contact to get a final response, and then if still unsuccessful take it to ADR, as outlined at 19.10 of their Ts & Cs:
    Alternative Dispute Resolution
    If we have been unable to resolve your complaint, you may be able to refer your complaint to AviationADR within 12 months of our final response. They are approved by the Civil Aviation Authority to provide an independent review of complaints and dispute resolution services. Their details are: AviationADR, 12-14 Walker Avenue, Stratford Office Village, Wolverton Mill, Milton Keynes, MK12 5TW , telephone 0203 540 8063, email aviation@cdrl.org.uk and website www.aviationadr.org.uk.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The policy clearly doens't offer a cash refund at all, merely a voucher. I am surprised they offered anything at all, most wouldn't but if it is cash you want, have you tried your insurers?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, I'd suggest an insurance claim might be the more straightforwards option rather than arguing with easy jet. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • stevoh
    Options
    My insurance company won’t pay out until I’ve confirmed that the airline won’t refund me. If they offer a voucher then they won’t pay out I guess 
  • stevoh
    Options
    Does anyone know how you can escalate a case with easyJet? 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Formal complaint?

However if you still want to email us with a complaint, please use customer.support@easyJet.com.

Unfortunately we cannot accept attachments to emails and the response time could be up to 28 days. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stevoh said:
    My insurance company won’t pay out until I’ve confirmed that the airline won’t refund me. If they offer a voucher then they won’t pay out I guess 
    Sounds a bit strange  as I wouldn't expect a refund from the airline in this case. I would assume that I needed to claim on my insurance.
  • stevoh
    Options
    elsien said:
    Formal complaint?

However if you still want to email us with a complaint, please use customer.support@easyJet.com.

Unfortunately we cannot accept attachments to emails and the response time could be up to 28 days. 

Yeah an escalation. There a delay of 1-2 weeks every time you contact that address. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback