Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt - 2022

Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    prowla said:
    Hi thanks for all the info, many have mentioned the senior railcard, but if you normally travel as a couple, (no need to share surname, could just be as friends), please look into the 2together card, as similar perks to the single railcard but only one fee. 

The senior railcard is no use if your rail journey is a commute to work.
    I looked at getting one using my Tesco Clubcard points, but decided it wasn't worth it.
    I do not believe this is the case, unless you are  living in the South East/London commuter area.
    Yes you will have to pay peak price, but will still be minus the railcard discount in other areas.
    That's why I commend the Disabled Railcard to all who qualify: and a hearing aid qualifies you, which often comes with age ... Mine is fine for my daily commute, whereas my (pension age) bus pass doesn't kick in early enough. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • MSE_Laura_F
    MSE_Laura_F Posts: 1,570 MSE Staff
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Asda has launched a £1 meal deal for over 60s in its 205 cafes. You can get a ‘winter warmer’ soup, roll and unlimited tea or coffee.

https://corporate.asda.com/newsroom/2022/10/06/asda-launches-1-cafe-meal-deal-for-over-60s-to-help-with-cost-of-living
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    daz378 said:
    I got the Iceland over 60 s discount without asking...the problem is I'm only 56...didn't realise till I saw the receipt
    Slightly insulting!

I started to go grey in my twenties and now have silver hair. I've  been asked in the Co-op if I want the over-60s discount, which I declined, being insulted by the assumption and that I'm  almost a decade from being able to claim it legitimately! DH on the other hand is 61 and still has a head of his lovely dark brown hair. He has to prove that he's over 60 with his driving licence as the cashiers don't believe that he's over 60. Lots of people think that I'm older than him. Time to get my hair dyed again, I think.
  • RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    daz378 said:
    I got the Iceland over 60 s discount without asking...the problem is I'm only 56...didn't realise till I saw the receipt
    Slightly insulting!

I started to go grey in my twenties and now have silver hair. I've  been asked in the Co-op if I want the over-60s discount, which I declined, being insulted by the assumption and that I'm  almost a decade from being able to claim it legitimately! DH on the other hand is 61 and still has a head of his lovely dark brown hair. He has to prove that he's over 60 with his driving licence as the cashiers don't believe that he's over 60. Lots of people think that I'm older than him. Time to get my hair dyed again, I think.
    It's "Good news, bad news!". You can have a discount :smiley: because you look old! :(

I've been given concessions without asking and had to prove my age (66).
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    prowla said:

The senior railcard is no use if your rail journey is a commute to work.
    I looked at getting one using my Tesco Clubcard points, but decided it wasn't worth it.
    I do not believe this is the case, unless you are  living in the South East/London commuter area.
    Yes you will have to pay peak price, but will still be minus the railcard discount in other areas.
    Would it be better to buy 2 single tickets - with the discount on the return leg?
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • subjecttocontract
    Options
    You can get into virtually anywhere that charges an entrance or ticket price.....at a discount if you are over 60.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Would it be better to buy 2 single tickets - with the discount on the return leg?

Possibly, but I am not a commuter anymore, I only know that you can not use your senior railcard during the morning rush hour in the commuter belt around London( or in London of course ) 

You can get into virtually anywhere that charges an entrance or ticket price.....at a discount if you are over 60.

Most racecourses do not have a concession price for over 60/65, although some do ( typically £5), but sometimes only on weekdays. Plus finding the info about it on the website can be challenging.

The ones that do, only seem to offer it at the gate/on the day, and not on advance tickets, so the saving is reduced.

• trevjl
    trevjl Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most racecourses do not have a concession price for over 60/65, although some do ( typically £5), but sometimes only on weekdays. Plus finding the info about it on the website can be challenging.
    The ones that do, only seem to offer it at the gate/on the day, and not on advance tickets, so the saving is reduced

Darn & Blast....... Just about to start planning my retirement bucket list visit to every course in the country as I turn 60 next month. Was hoping to get in a bit cheaper !!, oh well, just have to hop over the fence like I used to when I was a lad !!! ;) Err maybe not, the hopping bit may be an issue these days !
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    trevjl said:
    The ones that do, only seem to offer it at the gate/on the day, and not on advance tickets, so the saving is reduced

Darn & Blast....... Just about to start planning my retirement bucket list visit to every course in the country as I turn 60 next month. Was hoping to get in a bit cheaper !!, oh well, just have to hop over the fence like I used to when I was a lad !!! ;) Err maybe not, the hopping bit may be an issue these days !
    I had in mind to do that one day. I have no idea of the proportion that offer a 'Senior Discount' ,but as far as I can tell it is fairly random, and usually seems to be applicable only if you pay at the gate. So you can not combine it with any cheaper advance deals on the internet.
    Anyway if you are travelling around the country, then I presume the cost of travel and hotels will vastly outweigh any small admission price discounts?

• trevjl
    trevjl Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes indeed, it would only the price of a pint anyway. 
    It will take some planning eg intend to fly to Scotland to do those tracks in one hit, but of course timing can be an issue with he flat and NH fixtures.
    Have even thought about cycling around them all for charity, but health has put a spanner in those works at present.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback