We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

EV Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Any idea what difference not having a courtesy car makes to the price?
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,255 Forumite
    Options
    Any idea what difference not having a courtesy car makes to the price?
    It's probably one of those things that varies between individuals.  If you've a history of always wanting one (or their computer 'thinks' you might) surcharge could be higher than otherwise.  Only way to tell is to fill out a proposal form without courtesy car and get quotes then amend it and get more.   It's even likely that it would make a huge difference for some insurers but hardly any for others.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, just wondering on any others' experiences. Won't have that pain to go through yet for a few months..
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

The EU has notified Beijing that it intends to impose tariffs of up to 38% on imports of Chinese electric vehicles, triggering duties of more than €2bn (£1.7bn) a year and a likely trade war with China.

The tariffs will be applied provisionally from next month in line with World Trade Organization rules, which give China four weeks to challenge any evidence the EU provides to justify the levies on imported EVs.

The MG owner, SAIC, faces the top tariff. Geely, which owns a stake in Volvo, faces a tariff of 20%. A 17.4% duty will be applied to BYD brands, which include the Dolphin and Seal cars launched in the EU last year. The tariffs could come in as early as 5 July, adding a potential €5,250 to the cost of a €30,000 entry-level BYD car.

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do the tariffs vary between brands?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Under the plan, Brussels will apply five levels of tariffs. EV manufacturers that cooperated with EU investigators will face a tariff of 21%, while those who did not will be hit with the top tier of 38.1%

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 June at 6:46PM
    Options
    You may also recall that this was the investigation that Tesla virtually demanded to be included in, but was excluded (strangely) by the EU. They (Tesla) were concerned that omitting them, as they don't get subsidy support, was so that the EU could come up with an overall finding based on the Chinese firms that it did investigate.

So having a range of tariffs would appear to be a lot fairer, and Tesla in particular is in negotiations with the EU to determine a fair figure, down from the 21% that will probably be set initially.

[Edit - In relation to made in China Tesla vehicles being imported to the EU, not those made in Berlin.]
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating. Two BEV's.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, two comments this week.

Firstly, and for the very first time, I had to queue to use a supercharger.  It was no longer to wait than waiting for a pump to become free at a petrol filling station.  The actual charge time was quick enough that I received an alert that I was nearly done in as quick as it had taken for a toilet break.  I returned and moved off quickly as there was one other waiting.
    In fairness, the app had suggested that I considered a different charging location while I was on route as this location was busy.  It was also rather unusual as, despite being a very large destination, there were only two SC spaces. Perhaps one of the very earliest SC stations?

Secondly, I saw sight of the new car policy for a large multinational business this week.  It is a company that does a great deal to promote their green credentials.  I therefore thought is was disappointing that the car policy imposed a CO2 cap (129) but also stated that EVs were not permitted under either company car or car allowance options because of the insufficient range available.  Very disappointing and contrary to the green credentials - the company's landing page features their "Ecological Transformation" solutions as the most prominent messaging.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    So, two comments this week.

Firstly, and for the very first time, I had to queue to use a supercharger.  It was no longer to wait than waiting for a pump to become free at a petrol filling station.  The actual charge time was quick enough that I received an alert that I was nearly done in as quick as it had taken for a toilet break.  I returned and moved off quickly as there was one other waiting.
    In fairness, the app had suggested that I considered a different charging location while I was on route as this location was busy.  It was also rather unusual as, despite being a very large destination, there were only two SC spaces. Perhaps one of the very earliest SC stations?

Secondly, I saw sight of the new car policy for a large multinational business this week.  It is a company that does a great deal to promote their green credentials.  I therefore thought is was disappointing that the car policy imposed a CO2 cap (129) but also stated that EVs were not permitted under either company car or car allowance options because of the insufficient range available.  Very disappointing and contrary to the green credentials - the company's landing page features their "Ecological Transformation" solutions as the most prominent messaging.
    If we can make it work for vehicles up to 60k mi/year in operational use, I'm sure they can too. The Vivaro didn't come with a range option we would have preferred, but our need of double cab vehicles was limited in the EV sector. Many older posters here know what we use the vehicles for, so will also understand why this is necessary.

A client for another business I hold an interest in (but don't own 100%) has recently switched from Audi A1 to Vauxhall Corsa/Astra EVs and are also covering reasonably high mileages. These are fine for their needs.

The Ioniq was managing 180-200mi from a single charge, the ID4 is sitting at 298mi and was charged last night for the first time. It's only been to the supermarket this morning, so 292mi with 8% left in the batteries (and some motorway driving) makes me question their logic, especially as according to official figures it can be recharged in 30 minutes.
    💙💛 💔
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure