PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

July 2022 Grocery Challenge

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 August 2022 at 10:11AM
    Options
    Morning July GC'rs

Well, I'm back from hols and have managed to stay (just) within budget - which I'm delighted about, as a) I did actually fund some icecreams out of the grocery budget, and b) even self-catering, you know how a shop starts to get ££ because you have to buy a full tin/bottle/packet of something that you would only use part of at home.  Anyway, I'm declaring at £196.57/200, which leaves my 'summer treats' budget intact and swelled slightly with the remaining shrapnel from the July challenge.  I was a little bit taken aback that a 'small' icecream (cone or pot) is now c.£3 - and yes, I am NOT averse to asking LG to wait and we'll get a box for less £ outlay for more icecreams from the local freezer centre, but as it happens, I went without and LG and DH had a 'treat' in places that were relatively remote from shops.  Sometimes - just sometimes, it doesn't have to be all about hanging onto every single penny.  And frankly, I would far rather enable LG to have an occasional treat (especially on holiday, which was all about memory building), than not get a night off from cooking, as pouty DH threw a strop and wouldn't entertain having a 'chippy tea', as apparently he doesn't like eating fish (i was in the process of looking at a recommended chippy's website to see what non-fish options they had.....🙄).  We therefore had to go on a trip out to a local supermarket (at tea-time on Saturday 🙄) to secure items for tea.  We ended up with scampi/fish fingers, oven chips and mushy peas........... (no, don't point out the obvious.........😉).  

I am also pleased that the holiday grocery spends do actually include some 'storecupboard' items that were brought home as I happened to notice them in the local MrL, and hadn't recalled seeing them in our MrL.  I don't think they were unique to that store, more likely just a stock turnover issue.

I haven't had to rely too much on 'winding down' stocks in July to stay within my budget, but I think the key for July was using every scrap that I could of any food item that i was lucky enough to secure from the waste food diversion scheme, and building meals plans around that - albeit 'on the hoof', which is not something I'm entirely comfortable with yet.  That has definitely had the most impact, and again, although I haven't had a box every week, utilising the MrL box contents fully has helped too.  I'm delighted to report that the mango had finally ripened sufficiently for us to enjoy with the last of the yoghurt, the night before we went away.  Unfortunately LG decided that they didn't like mango.......

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping January - May £90/£90

Grocery spend May £235.12/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 2/24 (inc. Blankets 2/6)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PearlRose said:
    July grocery spending: £464.2, so unfortunately the grocery challenge for £400 failed.

I've been persuaded to buy a bit extra each time I shop to build up my inventory, mainly canned and dried stuff. Perhaps this is the reason why I failed the challenge this month. I find it difficult to keep the balance - cutting the grocery bill and having a modest stock of goods for later use.    
    @PearlRose I kind of agree with the post that suggests you concentrate on one thing at a time, but what I do is put a portion of my GC budget into my stores budget. Over many years, I have used the system where I buy multiples of non-perishable things (including toiletries and cleaning stuff) when it is on offer or the basic brand stuff is in stock. If I get to the last branded (can't live without it) shower gel (for example) I only buy one, to dribble over to, but invariably, 4-5 months in (we use approx one a month) they are back on offer and I buy 5 or 6 for half price and shop from my stores without actually moving the money from one (virtual) purse to the other. About 10% of my annual budget is allocated for stores. Any more and my store-cupboard is stockpiling.

The other thing you can do is make a list of what you have in and have a stores and freezer week. I used to find milk and eggs caused me to fail on this. Now I get them delivered (more expensive but no top up temptation) and frozen fruit is my friend. Superb quality and cheaper
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • PearlRose
    PearlRose Posts: 59 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @Soontobeoap @gill5blue @Suffolk_lass Thank you for your replies and suggestions :) 
    Family of 3 on the journey of Mortgage Free

• K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry for being late to the party.
    I finished July on the 12th of August,  a whopping £52.45 over.
    A few Amazon subscribe and saves,  and visits from DD2.  Despite her giving me board,  just took me way over.
    I'm hoping August goes better!!! 
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £106.38 May £?
    Forever learning the art of frugality
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport