The Foodbank Donation Thread

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Our food bank accepts cash and uses it to buy eggs and other perishables to supplement the long life donations. 

We have a residents FB page where people often post unwanted items (furniture, garden tools, travel cot, bikes etc) and ask for a donation to the food bank. 

Today I bought some hot water bottles (£2 in Poundstretcher) as they really help to keep people warm come winter. 
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,229 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I know people's contributions will vary according to their income. But it does irritate me slightly that a lot of people are earning money, and don't bother to donate. If everyone contributed a little bit, they wouldn't have to spend very much per person at all.
    I'm pretty sure it's often those who have least who realise the value of what they donate to those without enough to get them through.

I can't claim any special insight as to what helps most though I'm sure a value bag of oats always goes quite a long way and is filling as well as nutritious. Oats can also be soaked overnight if people can't afford to cook them.

As you say, contributing a little - even duplicating one item in your basket for donation - will help someone.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options

I can't claim any special insight as to what helps most though I'm sure a value bag of oats always goes quite a long way and is filling as well as nutritious. Oats can also be soaked overnight if people can't afford to cook them.

Uncooked oats ie straight from the packet, not soaked, with cold milk, no sugar added - lovely! That's the way I've eaten them for decades. 
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,259 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This would equally apply to any local foodbank I'm sure. 

I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • MSE_Laura_F
    MSE_Laura_F Posts: 1,572 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Misslayed said:
    This would equally apply to any local foodbank I'm sure. 
    This is such a lovely idea. 💛
  • General_Grant
    Options
    I try and balance my food bank purchases along the lines of nutrition, value, and enjoyment (where possible). My opinion is that I can't just go raid the value aisle and think I'm doing my bit. Certain stuff like value instant coffee is fine, but other stuff like tinned tomatoes I prefer to buy the standard ones (I'm convinced there's a greater volume of product in there, and the sauce is better).

I know people's contributions will vary according to their income. But it does irritate me slightly that a lot of people are earning money, and don't bother to donate. If everyone contributed a little bit, they wouldn't have to spend very much per person at all.
    Do you compare declared "drained weight" with the total weight?
    Or are you assessing "volume" in a different way?
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,443 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    stuff like tinned tomatoes I prefer to buy the standard ones (I'm convinced there's a greater volume of product in there, and the sauce is better).
    Do you compare declared "drained weight" with the total weight?
    Or are you assessing "volume" in a different way?
    It's not just the drained weight, it's also the liquid that surrounds the tomatoes tends to be thicker.  And the actual tomatoes are more likely to be whole, rather than mashed, and with fewer blemishes.  In any case drained weight is a bit of a red herring as a really nice tin of tomatoes will have whole tomatoes which in themselves will contain a lot more juice.  

Overall my guideline is "would I want to eat it or serve it to my friends?"  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • GlasgowExpat2
    Options
    I normally make a donation when I go to football but with the World Cup there will be only 2 home matches before Christmas so I did an online shop and used the Ocado £20 off your first shop discount code. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback