The Foodbank Donation Thread

Options

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,498 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the rec @uk1

Looks like it's London based but there may be other similar projects elsewhere.

The Felix Project - London Charity Fighting Hunger and Food Waste

"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 July 2022 at 6:41PM
    Options
    Thanks,  yes it did start in London and I believe it to be expanding largely by sharing their knowledge and widening their model and concept.  

I am a Londoner by birth but haven’t lived in London for 40 years.  I chose them because my priority was to make my funding go as far as possible and there is a lot of poverty in London as well as anywhere else.  So put another way I think that by helping Felix I m probably helping 10 times as many hungry people than if I bought food for a local food bank instead.

Some piccies  …..  these aren’t brilliant - I’v seen some great one’s over the years but remember all the food was free and it’s all volunteer  led - so the cash you give is highly levered to the delivery to people in need … who as you rightly say is largely currntly in London.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=food+felix+trust+project&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwic0sy_3tr4AhUPNBoKHf3_C3gQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=food+felix+trust+project&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoECCMQJ1DRDFjKUWCUWWgBcAB4AIABfogB3QaSAQQxMC4ymAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=foHAYpybOY_oaP3_r8AH&bih=983&biw=1121
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 July 2022 at 1:50PM
    Options
    Brie said:
    Thanks for the rec @uk1

Looks like it's London based but there may be other similar projects elsewhere.

The Felix Project - London Charity Fighting Hunger and Food Waste

A senior moment.

I should have mentioned Fareshare ……

My “thing” is that food poverty is more than just “”one bag” it is often a grinding week in week out continuous poverty.  And because responsible parents feed their kids in preference to paying their rent it also helps minimise poverty led homelessness.  So I prefer food-banking that isn’t referal led but allows people to take what they need even if they pay a very small amount for it. So instead of hunger being followed by homelessness, hard-up families receive food support when they know they need it. And they do it in a dignified way rather than treated like something out of Edwardian times. They have it for as long as they need it and needn't feel that they are hopeless and failing whilst they use it.  They might pay £4 for £40 worth of food and also take as much fresh veg and fruit and bread as they "want".  And that is how it should be.

So Fareshare and Felix seem right to me.  There will be the odd “chancer” but better this than kids and parents going hungry and being made homeless. I hate the undignified begging and referral “one-off emergency” nature of traditional foodbanks such as Trussell Trust.  There is enough food if “harvested” and “gleaned” wisely and distributed compassionately and pragmatically.

Every little helps  A reasonably "meaty" (  :) ) monthly contribution can literally help feed a couple of hundred people each month.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/food-bank-britain-inside-the-nations-newest-emergency-service-v5mdqncgt?shareToken=28e61300a47a05a053a31dadb2a9b2c1
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,283 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm putting Lidl's own brand factor 50 children's sunscreen in the collection basket this week, as I live by the sea (and I'm a malignant melanoma survivor). 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Hippycamper
    Hippycamper Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    arnoldy said:
    Believe it or not food is actually very cheap....astonishingly cheap...mince £2/500g, Pork £4kg, Chickens £3-4 each, Carrots, potatoes, veg 20-50p per Kg or unit.

It feels like the best thing foodbanks could do is teach people how to meal plan, cook, budget, use leftovers. Maybe they should buy slow cookers for people which are not expensive. It may be well meaning, and necessary in the short term, but food handouts are not the answer long term.
    I love my slow cooker, admittedly it a very old one, a tower 1.5litre, which is 35watts an hour to run, (1000watts on my meter is 31p day rate, 22p night rate)

porridge takes about 3hrs in it, so 3p to cook at day rate.

chick pea curry is a favourite to, as is kidney bean curry, egg curry, tough bits of meat cooked extremely slowly become a tender.

Recently a very dear friend asked me to take them to a place near the food bank, I knew financially they were struggling but at 58years old, they were embarrassed. 

I did a cupboard clear out,

soupmix is 39p In Asda/Morrison’s, just add a sixth of a packet, a litre of chicken stock, and an onion, so less than 20p you gives four good bowlfuls.

I think arnoldy may have a point, perhaps a slow cooker, that bought wholesale are a couple of pounds, the ingredients and a “how to cook” the different  meals that are in the box.

Writing this, I realised the pukka pie that I want for my tea will take 20minutes to heat up the oven and around 45/50 minutes to cook will cost me approximately 35p in the 1.09Kwh (1090watts per hour) electric oven.

It’s frightening that the cost of utilities etc can determine what you can or can’t eat, but slow cookers do offer a very inexpensive, healthy option
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,498 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    @Misslayed
    Excellent idea!!  I'm near the beach too and given the hot weather I'm sure there's lots of kids out in the surf to keep cool.  Going to the beach is one of the few free ways to keep kids busy - assuming one doesn't have to pay for the stupidly high parking charges the council insists on.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • 2childmum2
    2childmum2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    An elderly friend was reminiscing today about her mum, who when my friend was a child would not eat so that the children could eat.  My friend commented that she now understands why her mum did so little - she didn't have the energy as she just didn't eat enough.  To the detriment of herself, her children and others around her.
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When we received the £150 council tax rebate I asked our local food bank what they needed and they suggested supermarket gift vouchers for the times when someone is in need of something they don’t regularly stock- a particular sized nappy or gluten free items. 

I also remember going on a food bank delivery run to a family at halloween and taking a pumpkin - the kids were delighted cause they’d never had one 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £1,350 /£3,600

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills