🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Foodbank Donation Thread

Options

Comments

• MSE_Laura_F
    MSE_Laura_F Posts: 1,572 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Brie, you're a gem. Thanks!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,790 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Remember foodbanks are always looking for carrier bags.
    They use a LOT in a week!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • toby3210
    toby3210 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    No one has a right, I agree, but I do have compassion for others less fortunate than I am. As such, I like to donate to my foodbank every so often. I think they do a great job in the community. 
  • avenue12
    avenue12 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 July 2023 at 6:58AM
    Options
    Interesting! I help at a Top Up shop at a church. These were started as Food banks have tight criteria for help and usually refer people who are on benefits. As low paid people, who work, also need help Top Up Shop were born.
    In these volunteers drive to collect food and products from local supermarkets weekly, then charge £2 or so for a basket of food.
    the customers select the items they wish from each table.
     Tea and cake and support is on offer too.
    We have had covid and flu jabs done on site and apply for any local vouchers for customers, such as the Iceland. scheme etc.
    The churches collect from local households who collect also and buy extra stuff themselves.
    We help anyone free who walks in off the street who have no money. e.g. homeless, people in debt etc.
    Advice is also on hand and help filling firms for benefits or any other need. Now that the citizens advice is so hard to access we are getting busier.

• MSE_Laura_F
    Options
    Just to say, we have a bit about food bank apps in the How to donate to a food bank section of MSE's Free Food guide. It mentions Bank the Food and also Donation Genie. But any real-life thoughts/reviews/anecdotes about them would be very interesting to read, so please do let me know.

I didn't realise that about carrier bags, @beanielou - thank you!

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,790 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Just to say, we have a bit about food bank apps in the How to donate to a food bank section of MSE's Free Food guide. It mentions Bank the Food and also Donation Genie. But any real-life thoughts/reviews/anecdotes about them would be very interesting to read, so please do let me know.

I used to be a foodbank trustee so I know all sorts of useless information!  
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,575 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Laura_F 

so the word from the foodbank is they are not really impressed so far with the BanktheFood app.  
    The general impression is that people will buy what they think is needed without reference to an app. 

it's no more up to date than any other info that might be posted at shops mostly, I think, because no one has the time to keep all the info up to date!!  I'm going to ask more about this over the coming week but it may be simply down to the fact that the central office is understaffed currently so no one is updating things.

I'll be chatting with someone more in the know tomorrow and will come back when I know more.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,575 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    beanielou said:

I used to be a foodbank trustee so I know all sorts of useless information!  
    More useless info....FBs can often use a variety of bags.  The real heavy duty ones for those that need to schlep a weeks worth of tinned stuff home on the bus.  Bag for life for those that might have a car.  Smaller bags so they can package up a meal - a selection of root veg ready for making soup or a stew.  These are essential since (as we know) it's cheaper to buy in bulk but very few of us want or can use 20 pounds of potatoes or onions.  

Laura - will look at the other thread - amazing what's on MSE that one might never have seen before!!
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've used DonateGenie. I'd previously asked staff there what they want, and used that as a basis for my donations but currently they want soups as well, apparently. So the list is updated at intervals

Interestingly, the other foodbank in the city has too much soup.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • MSE_Laura_F
    Options
    Hello lovely folk. I know that some supermarkets put up a list of items the local food bank is short on. Have any of you spotted such a list in your supermarket? A photo, if possible, would be particularly appreciated!

I'm trying to gather some general tips about how to find out what items are needed.

Thank you. 🙏
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport