The Foodbank Donation Thread

Options

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    @Brie I also include 'free from' items to try and help out those with dietary requirements.

Like you, I buy various sizes as I'm mindful it could be a single person, a family or a couple with different tastes receiving the pack.

I'll also try and get things so people can have a homemade takeaway, like packets of Chinese curry sauce (just add water, tinned veg and heat) or jars of different curries and micro rice (it can be heated with hot water or quickly fried to heat it).
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • arnoldy
    arnoldy Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Believe it or not food is actually very cheap....astonishingly cheap...mince £2/500g, Pork £4kg, Chickens £3-4 each, Carrots, potatoes, veg 20-50p per Kg or unit.

It feels like the best thing foodbanks could do is teach people how to meal plan, cook, budget, use leftovers. Maybe they should buy slow cookers for people which are not expensive. It may be well meaning, and necessary in the short term, but food handouts are not the answer long term.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 July 2022 at 12:12PM
    Options
    Would it be better if people were able to make regular (or irregular) cash donations to foodbanks rather than donating whatever they choose to buy an extra one of into the baskets?

I say this because our local food bank does not work in the manner it should.  Today there is a post on the local FB group asking for specific items that are required.  At other times, there are posts on the local FB group saying they have too much  of XYZ and to save it going to waste anyone can go and collect some, with a "please" at the end.

If cash donations were accepted, the food bank could better manage the mix and flow of produce to meet the needs.

I have offered cash / monetary donations in the past to the local food bank and they decline saying that cannot be accepted.  Our local food bank will also only accept donations between 10 am and 12 noon on a Friday, which is not the most convenient.
    My local foodbank accepts cash donations, they use the money to stock up on the stuff they are short of.

I assume it depends on how the foodbank is set up. I know my local one runs across the district, they have a van, and are fully registered as a charity. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback