British Gas reporting Missed payment on credit karma

Options
I've just had a notification from Credit Karma that British Gas are reporting i've missed a payment/bill
this is wholly untrue has anyone else had this problem ?

In late march/april when i logged into my BG account it said i was being transfered to their new system it didn't give me an option to refuse it said my account  balance bills would be unavailable until this transfer was completed but i was still able to provide Metre readings

for afew weeks i couldn't access my online account but payments were still being made from my santander account which was always on the 1st of the month 
the last payment was 1st may. On thursday i got a letter saying a new direct debit had been setup by BG for exactly the same amount as my usual payment on the 1st

Today after getting the credit karma notification i logged into my BG account  to see that a bill issued on the 27th of march needed to be payed by 11th april but i've never had to pay a bill its always been carried over as i pay monthly not every three months etc.

Whats looks to have happened is that the transfer from one account system to the other hasn't carried over all my previous information payments how i pay them etc 

sorry for the long winded message but this has annoyed me greatly is it best to contact BG today  or leave it to see if it rectifies itself i doubt anyone on the helpline
would be able to answer any queries at the weekend 

has anyone else had this happen ?  if not what do people suggest ?

Comments

• older_wiser
    older_wiser Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    just an update about my BG problems 

I contacted them at 9am i did have a 30+ minute wait to speak to someone when i explained the situation she then transfered 
    me over to someone who dealt with this new system transfer

i spoke to olly who is CS who deals with the transfer from the old BG system to the new one it seems i am one of the privileged few who get to be guinea pigs for this new system lucky me !!

He did say they had encountered quite afew problems but this was a new one to him he didn't know much about about CRA but he did send a message to billing to get someone to look into this and he will get back to me. 

I asked when everyone would be transfered to this new system and he didn't know or even estimate.

so i await the email to update me

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You should formally complain in writing if their system error resulted in a missed payment notification
  • older_wiser
    Options
    You should formally complain in writing if their system error resulted in a missed payment notification
    oh i will be its already been noted as such on credit karma aka transunion

i'm currently waiting for clearscore/equifax to update i think thats tomorrow and then experian later next month

the new account website is incredibly slow alot of the time it can throw up errors so its a work in progress why 
    they are allowing customers to be used as guinea pigs it makes no sense to me.

• martinbainbridge1975
    Options

i'm currently waiting for clearscore/equifax to update i think thats tomorrow and then experian later next month

the new account website is incredibly slow alot of the time it can throw up errors so its a work in progress why 

raise a dispute / notice of correct with all the credit agencies and as farfetch states raise a formal complaint

take screenshots of all of the credit scores in case of a massive drop in score so you have proof of the effect it has had.

worth a few quid compo as well 
  • older_wiser
    edited 23 May 2022 at 10:22PM
    Options

raise a dispute / notice of correct with all the credit agencies and as farfetch states raise a formal complaint

take screenshots of all of the credit scores in case of a massive drop in score so you have proof of the effect it has had.

worth a few quid compo as well 
    my original reply to your comment was to play down any complaint as i thought it was an isolated incident with credit karma 

but  after checking my account they have added a late/missing payment to my clearscore/equifax  account i don't see my experian score/report until mid june but i expect that will also show the same. 

my credit karma score has gone down by 76 points my cleascore score is now 121 down 

i will be making an official complaint and if they haven't contacted me by end of wednesday i'll phone on thursday asking for an update 

i've just looked at my clearscore report in more detail and it looks like they are saying its my electricity account thats had the missing payment added to it not the Gas. I have no idea how they decide if its one or the other.
  • older_wiser
    Options
    a further update this morning i got an email from moneysavings experts credit club 

and a missing payment has been added to my BG account so now thats 3 for 3 for all the CRA
  • martinbainbridge1975
    Options
    definitely need to complain and get on their case asap, when I suggested the above it was based on a similar experience where I helped sort out a similar error for a friend.

if you are looking to do any sort of credit transactions this may well hamper you - the first avenue I would go down is sorting out british gas.  if they require a payment, make the payment and ask that their collections / credit bureau team do a manual adjustment and send to the credit bureau to correct your credit file, given that this is down to their system issues.

once this is done raise the notices of correction with the credit agencies - they have 28/30 days to respond I think it was
  • older_wiser
    Options
    definitely need to complain and get on their case asap, when I suggested the above it was based on a similar experience where I helped sort out a similar error for a friend.

if you are looking to do any sort of credit transactions this may well hamper you - the first avenue I would go down is sorting out british gas.  if they require a payment, make the payment and ask that their collections / credit bureau team do a manual adjustment and send to the credit bureau to correct your credit file, given that this is down to their system issues.

once this is done raise the notices of correction with the credit agencies - they have 28/30 days to respond I think it was
    thanks for the reply its appreciated i'm awaiting someone to get back to me but i'll consider it but i have my concerns if i did that

thankfully i have no plans to apply for any credit loan or mortgage for the foreseeable future i am worried that perhaps some banks would cut my credit limit or not give me my usual promotional offers but theres nothing i can do about that and i'm hoping it will be resolved by next month perhaps i'm being too optimistic though. 

My concern is if i pay any amount they suggest i will be accepting that a payment was missed

when i spoke to olly when i queried why it was saying i had outstanding bill to pay when i pay monthly he couldn't explain why

when i asked why BG had told the CRA that i had missed a payment he suggested that the may direct debit might have been payed to the old account and the new account system wasn't credited so thats where the missing payment came from.

i did point out thats there problem not mine i have made all my direct debits on the requested date

I did get a letter informing me of BG setting up a new direct debit around 10 days ago which was around the time that BG reported a missing/late payment 

its a very convoluted problem thats arisen i'm gradually getting an idea how it happened and where the transfer of accounts failed on their system

i'm hoping this can be resolved quickly it depends how long they take to get to me 

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Please make sure that you complain only about the late payment, not the change in the fictitious score that no-one sees. That number is not used by anyone but you as a novelty only, no lender ever sees it. No decision on lending is ever made based on the made up score.
  • older_wiser
    Options
    Please make sure that you complain only about the late payment, not the change in the fictitious score that no-one sees. That number is not used by anyone but you as a novelty only, no lender ever sees it. No decision on lending is ever made based on the made up score.

thanks for your reply oh yes i am well aware that the number means nothing but i will probably provide it as additional info

its the missed payment reporting by BG to the CRA that will be the thrust of the complaint 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback