British Gas reporting Missed payment on credit karma

Options

Comments

• martinbainbridge1975
    Options
    definitely need to complain and get on their case asap, when I suggested the above it was based on a similar experience where I helped sort out a similar error for a friend.

if you are looking to do any sort of credit transactions this may well hamper you - the first avenue I would go down is sorting out british gas.  if they require a payment, make the payment and ask that their collections / credit bureau team do a manual adjustment and send to the credit bureau to correct your credit file, given that this is down to their system issues.

once this is done raise the notices of correction with the credit agencies - they have 28/30 days to respond I think it was
    thanks for the reply its appreciated i'm awaiting someone to get back to me but i'll consider it but i have my concerns if i did that

thankfully i have no plans to apply for any credit loan or mortgage for the foreseeable future i am worried that perhaps some banks would cut my credit limit or not give me my usual promotional offers but theres nothing i can do about that and i'm hoping it will be resolved by next month perhaps i'm being too optimistic though. 

My concern is if i pay any amount they suggest i will be accepting that a payment was missed

when i spoke to olly when i queried why it was saying i had outstanding bill to pay when i pay monthly he couldn't explain why

when i asked why BG had told the CRA that i had missed a payment he suggested that the may direct debit might have been payed to the old account and the new account system wasn't credited so thats where the missing payment came from.

i did point out thats there problem not mine i have made all my direct debits on the requested date

I did get a letter informing me of BG setting up a new direct debit around 10 days ago which was around the time that BG reported a missing/late payment 

its a very convoluted problem thats arisen i'm gradually getting an idea how it happened and where the transfer of accounts failed on their system

i'm hoping this can be resolved quickly it depends how long they take to get to me 

by paying you are honouring your bill and not refusing to pay - that is no acceptance of blame and your defence against the late / missed payment

what needs to be done is a full investigation and questions need to be answered. if they have set up a direct debit and written to you then they have realised a problem existed - did they call before writing?

I swapped banks last year and my car finance company screwed up similar to this - my payments were coming out fine then they rang me after 5 weeks saying I was in default when I wasn't.  The company put a slow payment marker against me despite me paying the day it was due - I got refused a 0 per cent deal due to the error.

from my own experience I would say keep at them and press for a swift resolution as it can take up to 60 days for credit file updates.

hope this helps
  • older_wiser
    older_wiser Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    definitely need to complain and get on their case asap, when I suggested the above it was based on a similar experience where I helped sort out a similar error for a friend.

if you are looking to do any sort of credit transactions this may well hamper you - the first avenue I would go down is sorting out british gas.  if they require a payment, make the payment and ask that their collections / credit bureau team do a manual adjustment and send to the credit bureau to correct your credit file, given that this is down to their system issues.

once this is done raise the notices of correction with the credit agencies - they have 28/30 days to respond I think it was
    thanks for the reply its appreciated i'm awaiting someone to get back to me but i'll consider it but i have my concerns if i did that

thankfully i have no plans to apply for any credit loan or mortgage for the foreseeable future i am worried that perhaps some banks would cut my credit limit or not give me my usual promotional offers but theres nothing i can do about that and i'm hoping it will be resolved by next month perhaps i'm being too optimistic though. 

My concern is if i pay any amount they suggest i will be accepting that a payment was missed

when i spoke to olly when i queried why it was saying i had outstanding bill to pay when i pay monthly he couldn't explain why

when i asked why BG had told the CRA that i had missed a payment he suggested that the may direct debit might have been payed to the old account and the new account system wasn't credited so thats where the missing payment came from.

i did point out thats there problem not mine i have made all my direct debits on the requested date

I did get a letter informing me of BG setting up a new direct debit around 10 days ago which was around the time that BG reported a missing/late payment 

its a very convoluted problem thats arisen i'm gradually getting an idea how it happened and where the transfer of accounts failed on their system

i'm hoping this can be resolved quickly it depends how long they take to get to me 

by paying you are honouring your bill and not refusing to pay - that is no acceptance of blame and your defence against the late / missed payment

what needs to be done is a full investigation and questions need to be answered. if they have set up a direct debit and written to you then they have realised a problem existed - did they call before writing?

I swapped banks last year and my car finance company screwed up similar to this - my payments were coming out fine then they rang me after 5 weeks saying I was in default when I wasn't.  The company put a slow payment marker against me despite me paying the day it was due - I got refused a 0 per cent deal due to the error.

from my own experience I would say keep at them and press for a swift resolution as it can take up to 60 days for credit file updates.

hope this helps
    thanks for the reply i've had the DD at the same bank account for years i use santander as i get cashback for some DD

I've had no communication from BG no emails no phone calls no letters nothing other than the bill email but even the bill just gives me my usage no amount to pay etc it even says your payments are spot on.

Yes credit files do take some time to update i payed a loan off in march its still not updated on any of the CRA 
  • older_wiser
    Options
    further update this morning i got a new bill from BG again its only my electricity one 

on the pdf bill itself all payments are spot on but the online account it says i have a new bill dated yesterday and please pay by 
    the 7th june. 

So i contacted BG  this time i was through within minutes i was then transfered to a seperate team that are dealing with the account transfer the original BG CS did say oh i see your on BG Evolve system ??

When i was put through to the transfer department this time they seemed to be far more aware about what might be the problem 
    the bill that is being created is from the old account and for some reason its not been closed and transfered but any payments i'm making are going to the new account not the old one. hence the missing payments 

I am still awaiting info from olly and the CS has emailed olly to get in touch to give me an update.

The CS did say don't pay the bill as that might cause further problems down the line but if its not been resolved by the start of june that might be my only option as otherwise i could be looking at a further missing payment on my BG account.

• older_wiser
    Options
    just had a long morning of being passed from pillar to post regarding this bodged transfer 

it looks to be finally resolved or will be its been passed to the  migration team for EVOLVE who can deal with all departments in both BG Classic and Evolve 

I probably spoke to 5 or 6 different CS before i finally spoke to James he did again mention i would have to be passed over to the BG classic CS but when i stood firm and told him i wasn't going to be passed around to different deaprtments he decided he could deal with it. i did also say i was in the process of making a complaint and making notes of who i spoke to what was said how long i was waiting etc which may have helped him make that decision  

He said he was part of the resolutions department and that the migration team could help and to wait for him to get back to me.
    hopefully he's not another Olly who just disappeared 

afew minutes after my phonecall i did get a strange call from BG Classic billing a guy i'd spoken to earlier who said he'd spoken to his manager and offered to contact the out of policy department i've never heard of those  who could set up a payment plan i kindly refused and said that Evolve Migration team were dealing with it.

Why would i want a payment plan setup ? very bizarre and  i found that very suspicious but didn't ask for any details. 

• LianneMarie
    Options
    Hey, I've also been moved to the new system which seems to just be very broken. I'm just lucky I noticed the bill before it went on my credit report. I was told to ignore the bill but was worried it would end up on my cred it report if i did. For the past two months I've been getting them to cancel the bill, just for them to re-issue it a few hours later. 

I suggest you record everything because if its anything like my experience it'll be very hard to get resolved. British Gas always say they will contact me/get back to me within 48 hours yet I have never been contacted by anyone at british gas.

FYI I was also told the issue had been resolved and my account was with the migration team but then it turned out theres an issue where British Gas Evolve/NEP keep losing my account details and setting my meter to the wrong address. I dont know if you'll have the same issue, but this is the British Gas Evolve/NEP phone number; 0330 808 3880. They seem to at least be able to tell me if my account's correctly migrated or not. 

Good luck (You'll need it) ! 
  • older_wiser
    Options
    Hey, I've also been moved to the new system which seems to just be very broken. I'm just lucky I noticed the bill before it went on my credit report. I was told to ignore the bill but was worried it would end up on my cred it report if i did. For the past two months I've been getting them to cancel the bill, just for them to re-issue it a few hours later. 

I suggest you record everything because if its anything like my experience it'll be very hard to get resolved. British Gas always say they will contact me/get back to me within 48 hours yet I have never been contacted by anyone at british gas.

FYI I was also told the issue had been resolved and my account was with the migration team but then it turned out theres an issue where British Gas Evolve/NEP keep losing my account details and setting my meter to the wrong address. I dont know if you'll have the same issue, but this is the British Gas Evolve/NEP phone number; 0330 808 3880. They seem to at least be able to tell me if my account's correctly migrated or not. 

thanks for the reply i knew there had to be someone else who had experienced something similar 

could i ask you if they reported anything negatively on your Credit file ? 
  • older_wiser
    Options
    further update it does seem to be progressing and it looks to be finally getting rectified

this is the email thats just arrived i've deleted the perosnal info 

My name is XXX and I'm one of the team managers.

XXX passed your details across to me.  I can see that your last Direct Debit was taken for £200 and was applied to your old British Gas account . We received this on 03 May 2022.  You have now been migrated over to our new systems, and I understand that you have queried the impact to your credit file.  

I can see that you have also spoken to XXXX since speaking with XXXX  who has raised the issue to our migration team.  This is a known issue which we are working to resolve and once the balance has transferred over from our old system to the new system, we will ensure that your credit file is not impacted by this.  

I'm sorry for any confusion caused by the migration and we will ensure that there is no negative impact to your credit file as a result of this.  Please let me know if you have any further questions relating to this. 

Kind regards

XXXX

its good to see that finally action is being taken but what i find thoroughly bizarre is that this is a known issue why transfer accounts if a negative impact on the persons Credit file is one likely outcome even if only for afew months. 

the account will be fully migrated just a a couple of days before my credit file is updated again will that be enough time to escape a second late payment marker ? hopefully it will. 

• LianneMarie
    Options

thanks for the reply i knew there had to be someone else who had experienced something similar 

could i ask you if they reported anything negatively on your Credit file ? 

No, I managed to get the bills canceled before that happened. However they just get re-issued each time. 

Its promising to see you have gotten a response from them, I hope its all sorted out for you.
  • older_wiser
    Options
    further update i got this email after replying to the previous one this is how BG will carry out migration for any future customers 

i thought this might be informative for anyone who goes through migration to the new system over the next few months 

Hi XXXX

It is something that we were made aware of a couple of weeks ago, and immediately put plans in plan to fix.  

When we migrate customers to our New Energy Platform a flag is placed on our old billing system to stop any debt activity. (This would be things like charges, reminders etc.)  This flag is also reported to the Credit Reference Agencies.  It has been identified that the flag used has a slight impact on customer credit scores. After discussions with them and work done by our Data Dispute team, we have a solution in place. 

We have spoken with the Credit Reference Agencies and agreed a flag to use going forward that will not have any impact on customers' credit files.

For customers like you who have already migrated, we are amending the flag directly with the Credit Reference Agencies so will ensure that your credit file is corrected.  I'm really sorry that you've had to complaint about this.  If it's OK with you, I will keep your complaint open until you've had confirmation from the Credit Reference Agencies that everything is resolved.

Kind regards, 
  • older_wiser
    edited 15 June 2022 at 3:07PM
    Options
    further update 

i was contacted by james via email earlier this week saying they had amended the information that BG give to the CR and asked if it was showing. I won't know until Clearscore Credit Karma experian are updated which is in around a weeks time so i told him i'd email when that happens.

I did notice that clearscore sent an update to my credit report yesterday which is the old BG account being closed i won't know if the missed payment marker is still present until next week.

I just hope BG haven't just closed the old account and thought thats all they need to do as the marker needs deleting too.

a further update to the update 

earlier today i got an email from Lynsey asking me if there had been any update i sent a similar email i'd sent to James saying i would know if the missing payment marker had been deleted within the next 7 -14 days as thats when the credit reports updated.

hopefully i should know by the weekend as it was credit karma that gave me the first indication about this and that is updated at the weekend. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback