Issue with friends new girlfriend. Update.

Options

Comments

• turnitround
    Options
    sheramber said:
    This is a new group with a new dynamic from the old group.

It is like starting at the beginning of a friendship again.  

You need to find a way forward in the new relationship which is nott eh same as the ols relationship which had grown over the years.

But we can't like people because someone else does so let the friendship develop.  Don't expect it to be like the previous one.
    Thank you sheramber. 

That's the point exactly. It is a new dynamic and perhaps in time it will develop. I think I'm just irritated because I'm feeling pressured to make an effort with a person that I would normally not want to pursue a friendship with just to keep the status quo. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    if you need to travel out together can you not park up and then go you separate ways with an arrangement to meet up at lunchtime for instance.

Surely you don't need to stay together all the time.

When the friends I spoke about went shopping , they travelled in one car  but split up on arriving , depending on where each wanted to go. A couple might go together or all go separate. 
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,525 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We go away with our 'best friends' but don't want them in my face all of the time. I need my own space and will tell them that!  The 'boys' might well choose to play golf all day, but I'll be off on a 10 mile walk (solo) in the meantime.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • LillythePink
    Options
    Maybe she feels threatened by you and the close friendship you have had in the past without her and the friend has "bigged" you up and she is just making these comments to take the shine off you in the friend's eyes - basically jealousy - so making the odd rude comment is just her way to gain dominance in the new relationship and basically say to him "she's not as brilliant as you think and she has flaws"

You don't have to change just for her but maybe give it a fair go and go away as suggested - at least no-one can't say you haven't tried.  If she keeps it up when you are alone without the men there, then call her out on it and see what's said.

Of course, it will get back to your friend that you were mean to her and it will be twisted, but if he knows you as well as it appears on here, then he would hopefully know that he only has one side of the story and not to believe everything was how she portrayed.

If that all makes sense......

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
     Maybe she’s jealous. Maybe she’s just nasty. Maybe she wants to bond over beauty tips.  She almost certainly doesn’t want you to expect her to be a clone of the previous partner.  She may be terrified at trying to fit into such a well established relationship.

Mooching round charity shops sounds incredibly dreary to me - maybe she dreads it as much as I would.  I go with 74jax’s suggestions - you do your thing, she does hers but you meet up during the day for lunch or coffee.  In time you may want to do some things together.  Just let it develop.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback