Issue with friends new girlfriend. Update.

Options
turnitround
turnitround Posts: 715 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Not sure what I'm expecting from this post but opinions would be appreciated.

Hubby and I have had a male friend for years and up until about 6 months ago he was in a relationship of 7-8 years but he was not at all happy.  

During the time he was in that relationship we all used to go away together for a few days 3 or 4 times a year. We  also went out together regularly for meals and spent Xmas and New Year together. The relationship ended and he started online dating and had a couple of girlfriends but none lasted more than 3 or 4 dates. 

Now he met a lady and he is besotted, says he is happier than he has ever been and we are really pleased for for him as he deserves to be happy.  After a few dates he introduced us and we have met the lady 4 times now. The first time we met she seemed a bit abrupt, we went for a meal and she complained constantly and ended the night saying 'Well, we won't be coming here again' although the rest of us thought it was ok. 
The second time we met he brought up the subject of us going away later in the year for a weekend and she said she thought it was a great idea. The men play golf, I don't and neither does she so she asked what I usually do while they are golfing. I told her I usually go into one of the surrounding towns nearby wherever we stay, have look round the shops, get a coffee etc. Then I mentioned I enjoy looking in charity shops to which she said ' I will soon cure you of that habit, you need to find the culture in the places you visit'.
Says she will make changes to our weekends away I will thank her when I get used to it.
Other instances include her  telling me that I would look better if I had my hair cut as no-one over 60 should let their hair reach shoulder length, saying that she knows everyone is different but that she cant imagine why anyone would choose to drive a (insert our make of car here!) and asking me if I find being a bit overweight has any impact on my health.

I wondered if she maybe didn't like the thought that we have done so much as a foursome before and didn't want to carry on that way but she has already talked about 'doing Xmas at hers' next time and also going away together for her 60th in September.

I've tried to give her the benefit of the doubt thinking that she may just feel a bit awkward fitting in or even be a bit shy/insecure and over compensating a bit. Our friend says it's just her way to be blunt and he seems to find it endearing. There are loads of other bits I have found a bit awkward. For instance, if I go to someone's house that I don't know very well and need to use the loo then I would ask before just going upstairs as she did, likewise I don't get up and put the kettle on without asking on my first visit.

I feel instinctively that we are not really going to get on and that we have very little in common. I get the feeling that she is not keen on me.  However, I don't want it to spoil things for my hubby and our friend. He says she is very different from his last partner but that that is what he likes about her and he says I should ignore the barbs and he very much wants us all to get along so that nothing changes. He says its important to him that we form a friendship as he and my hubby are such close friends. 

The trouble is that when we go away the men are golfing/fishing all day then we go out at night together so it's us women who will be spending  lot of time alone together and I cant say I'm looking forward to it. Don't get me wrong, I can stand up for myself and wont be pushed around but equally I'm a 'try to keep everyone happy' person and I think playing her at her own game would not be ideal for a cordial weekend and I also don't want to spoil things for our friend. He seems head over heels and I'm so pleased for him but how do you exist as a foursome when 2 of you don't seem to particularly like each other. I'm feeling a bit like I'm being pushed into a corner to suit everyone else.

Comments

• london21
    london21 Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Appears you have different personalities and interests. 

Maybe give it some time before traveling together in order to get familiar and build the relationship. 

You might let her know in a suttle friendly way that you do not appreciate comments about your hair and weight for example. 

Sometimes some people don't know their comments can be offensive.

You will likely have some interests in common, over time friendship might develop. 
  • Tranboy
    Tranboy Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 9 April 2022 at 10:15PM
    Options
    Sounds like coercive control, best to challenge her on anything that irks you and she might back off. You shouldn't have to be told to ignore her barbs, I had a full on auntie like that when my uncle remarried, she made lots of decisions for him including moving him hundreds of miles away from friends and family.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If I was on holiday and someone suggested embracing the culture rather than mooching round charity shops then I'd just go for it. Sounds much more fun.

She sounds different, direct and knows what she wants/likes. That's not a bad thing and no doubt why your friend likes her.

Give her suggestions a go - you might end up having fun!

Or suggest the two of you go rollerskating or something random!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • turnitround
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I will just need to give it time. The idea of not going along on these trips wont work as we usually stay somewhere in the countryside away from everything and when we go out at night I'm the driver as I don't drink. Hubby does not drink but is disabled so cannot do the driving.

He really enjoys these trips away and wouldn't want to go without me anyway and I wouldn't want to spoil it for him.

We take 2 vehicles and the men go off in his and the women use ours so its difficult to say 'You go here and |i will go there'. Hopefully some common ground will emerge. 

Its just her manner I find 'unusual' for want of a better word. I do appreciate that someone may find it difficult to fit in with close knit friends of many years but we  dont  bring up the previous partner at all, or as far as I know, do anything to make her feel unwelcome. 

I'm quite easy going and dont like to see anyone feeling uncomfortable or upset so I always try to be nice to people but \I am struggling with this lady. Our friend is so desperate for me to like her  so I am trying.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,256 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This is a new group with a new dynamic from the old group.

It is like starting at the beginning of a friendship again.  

You need to find a way forward in the new relationship which is nott eh same as the ols relationship which had grown over the years.

But we can't like people because someone else does so let the friendship develop.  Don't expect it to be like the previous one.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback