"You do not have access to any discussions on this page"

When you try to look at the discussions started by a particular user on their profile, what does the above message actually signify?

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,579
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I think it means their account has been closed.

• Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,102
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 22 March 2022 at 1:12PM
    If you look at any post they've made previously, if their avatar looks "broken" (even if it's the standard avatar) then that's a good indicator that they're (temporarily or permanently) on the "naughty step". :) 

Edit: I might be thinking of a different scenario. I found just such an occurrence in the Edit Post thread, and notice that hovering over the (broken) avatar shows a tooltip of the username plus (Banned) after it.

Jenni x
  • Pollycat said:

No - it's not people who have been banned or whose account is otherwise closed, their profile and posting is current.  (Although they often seem to be posters whose posts and/or behaviour could be described as a bit suspect or provocative sometimes... ?)

What I'm talking about is where you go to someone's profile page and you can see the number of discussions and replies they've made, but if you click on their discussions you get the "You do not have access... " message.  They are definitely current posters.

(Apologies for delay replying but I'd forgotten I'd started this thread!!!)
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,469
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Pollycat said:

No - it's not people who have been banned or whose account is otherwise closed, their profile and posting is current.  (Although they often seem to be posters whose posts and/or behaviour could be described as a bit suspect or provocative sometimes... ?)

What I'm talking about is where you go to someone's profile page and you can see the number of discussions and replies they've made, but if you click on their discussions you get the "You do not have access... " message.  They are definitely current posters.

They have restricted their profile, so other users can't see it.
  • Jenni_D
    Forumite
    edited 31 July 2022 at 10:45AM
    Pollycat said:

They have restricted their profile, so other users can't see it.
    Restricted how? Do you mean the checkbox for "Hide my online status from other members"? The description of that option doesn't say to me that nobody can see Discussions that have been created; just whether or not the user is currently using the forum.

If you mean by another mechanism then I couldn't see any such obvious option in my own profile pages.
    Jenni x
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,033
    Forumite
    I have a feeling it's because they've put you on ignore. I've not used the option before - but I just tried it with a '1 post poster' and it lets me 'ignore' then 'unignore'. So I've just put you on temporary 'ignore - see if you can see my active threads posts etc - and then later tomorrow I'll take you off ignore and you can try again then.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,139
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Community Admin
    edited 5 September 2022 at 3:39PM
    We've removed some posts from this thread. Please do not discuss decisions made by the Forum Team on the forum, or discuss the status of other users' accounts.

There are a number of reasons why a user's post count may not match the number of threads/replies available to view via their profile, as some of the forum's background administrative functions rely on the creation of threads and posts.
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Jenni_D
    Forumite
    edited 5 September 2022 at 3:52PM
    To avoid specifics ... a poster has been banned. BEFORE they were banned the problem with "You do not have access to any discussions on this page" was evident with their profile. We do not believe that any of use checking their profile were on their Ignore list. (That was the original purpose of identifying the poster - to give you a specific example of where it was happening).

Please provide an update as to WHY this is happening
    Jenni x
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,139
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Community Admin
    I've added to my post above while you were replying. 
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Jenni_D
    Forumite
    edited 5 September 2022 at 3:56PM
    And I edited while you replied. :D 

In said poster's profile I could see that they had (allegedly) started 3 discussions - clicking the Discussions link in their profile yielded the above-noted message. I cannot see how admin functions would cause that message to be shown ... if posts had been deleted (or hidden for report assessment) then I would have expected to see that they had created No threads, not that "error" message.

Sounds like yet another weird foible of this forum platform 🙄
    Jenni x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport