NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

"You do not have access to any discussions on this page"

in Site Feedback
5 replies 187 views
Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
7.2K Posts
Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite

When you try to look at the discussions started by a particular user on their profile, what does the above message actually signify?

Replies

• PollycatPollycat Forumite
    32.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I think it means their account has been closed.

• edited 22 March at 2:12PM
    Jenni_DJenni_D Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 22 March at 2:12PM
    If you look at any post they've made previously, if their avatar looks "broken" (even if it's the standard avatar) then that's a good indicator that they're (temporarily or permanently) on the "naughty step". :) 

Edit: I might be thinking of a different scenario. I found just such an occurrence in the Edit Post thread, and notice that hovering over the (broken) avatar shows a tooltip of the username plus (Banned) after it.

Jenni x
  • Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Pollycat said:

No - it's not people who have been banned or whose account is otherwise closed, their profile and posting is current.  (Although they often seem to be posters whose posts and/or behaviour could be described as a bit suspect or provocative sometimes... ?)

What I'm talking about is where you go to someone's profile page and you can see the number of discussions and replies they've made, but if you click on their discussions you get the "You do not have access... " message.  They are definitely current posters.

(Apologies for delay replying but I'd forgotten I'd started this thread!!!)
  • powerful_Roguepowerful_Rogue Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Pollycat said:

No - it's not people who have been banned or whose account is otherwise closed, their profile and posting is current.  (Although they often seem to be posters whose posts and/or behaviour could be described as a bit suspect or provocative sometimes... ?)

What I'm talking about is where you go to someone's profile page and you can see the number of discussions and replies they've made, but if you click on their discussions you get the "You do not have access... " message.  They are definitely current posters.

They have restricted their profile, so other users can't see it.
  • edited 31 July at 11:45AM
    Jenni_DJenni_D Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 31 July at 11:45AM
    Pollycat said:

They have restricted their profile, so other users can't see it.
    Restricted how? Do you mean the checkbox for "Hide my online status from other members"? The description of that option doesn't say to me that nobody can see Discussions that have been created; just whether or not the user is currently using the forum.

If you mean by another mechanism then I couldn't see any such obvious option in my own profile pages.
    Jenni x