We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Fags for Baileys..

Options
Having been slightly berated in my first post about the amount of money I spend on cigarettes each month, I have taken a deep breath (coughed a bit) and decided to commit to quitting.

I have just got back from my first ever 'stripy shop' at Tescos, and whilst there saw a bottle of Baileys that I very much would like to buy to enjoy over Christmas. Given that I have already overspent my Christmas budget, I have decided (deep breath again), to go smoke free for 3 days, saving myself £16.20, and then on MONDAY, will go and buy the bottle of Baileys (around £12). The other £4.20 will go towards paying next month's CC bills.

There, I've confessed - can't back out now. I WILL do it I WILL I WILL...

And the stripy shop came in at just under £9 - I will let you know whether I have a revolt on my hands when they have stripy sandwiches in their lunch box tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Comments

• FrugalJo
    FrugalJo Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hayley good on you ! You know Baileys will tastes even better without smoking :)
    Have a quick peak at The Giving Up Smoking Thread, they'll sort you out !
    The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. - Chinese Proverb
    Jo
  • Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Options
    What about still doing the quitting smoking, but buying a bottle of that cheap Baileys stuff - it's only about £4, and then you would have a) healthier lungs, b) a healthier wallet, and c) something nice to drink over Xmas! :D

Seriously, good luck with the quitting smoking - it's very difficult, I'm sure, but stick with it.
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • angelfairy
    angelfairy Posts: 3,594 Forumite
    Options
    Hi ya,

Congrats on the decision to quit. That decision has to be yours and yours alone.

As a fellow Baileys drinker I can see where you are coming from. However, have you thought about stretching the money a bit further and buying the cheaper versions of baileys, like the Irish Creams. Iceland's one is nice and you get 3 bottles for £10. Tesco and Asda also do their own and they are nice.

Admittedly, they do not taste AS good, but i find they still do the trick.
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Options
    How about swapping it for Carolans? Tastes just as good (well, to me!) and is half the price!
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • immoral_angeluk
    Options
    Irish knights is just as good and only £3 in ASDA :D
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • davetrousers
    Options
    The cheap alternatives to Baileys are made with wine rather than whisky which is why they are cheaper. Some own brand ones are made with whisky and usually around the £7 mark. It's up to you , just be aware of what you are buying ie read the label.

For the smoking I would recommend you try the Paul Mckenna book, it's about £8 or £9. It will help you with the mental side of things.

• Burlesque_Babe
    Options
    Take the sandwich items (cheese etc whatever you have bought), take off the value wrappers before they all get home, wrap in cling film where you can and pop in the lunch boxes ;) They won't even see the packaging.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    What on earth is a stripey shop :):)

Well done on giving up smoking btw
  • Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Options
    Lol, it's a 'Tesco Value' shop - the packaging is blue and white stripes. :D
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • rayday2
    rayday2 Posts: 3,960 Forumite
    Options
    Cheap Baileys is awful - I think OP has took comments on the chin came to a solution that worked for her and then been praised with a but!

Sod the but you have done really well and goodness me you deserve the pucker Baileys!

You have decided to have a healthier, wealthier future so cheers to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport