End of free newspaper at Waitrose

Comments

• MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    GaleSF63 said:
    GaleSF63 said:
    Another reason for not shopping at Waitrose.
    Today's mail brought their note about how MyWaitrose "just got better".
    Not for me.  It seems I have to buy a smartphone in order to take advantage of any offer I select and I rather think it would take too long, if ever, to recoup that particular expenditure.
    I think they may appear on the website. If you go to "Offers" and then "My Waitrose Offers" hopefully they will appear there. At the moment there's nothing on mine but the Waitrose magazines which don't interest me but I live in hope!

ETA I was using my laptop. I don't have a smart phone and I don't go into the shops so we'll see!
    Yes.  Offers - from which you can select two to use - appear on the website.
    But, having selected an offer or two and wanting to use the offer in store, you have to scan the voucher code at the check-out.  (It doesn't mention emailing a voucher.)  So how does one scan the voucher code unless you have a smartphone on which to display it?
    I understand your frustration. It all seems unnecessarily complicated.  I can't see why if they've chosen offers for you, and you pick one, it can't just be identified when it goes through the checkout when your card is used. 

According to My Waitrose Offers, the offers are "shaped by the way you shop", so I wonder why have they only offered me magazines I have never ever ordered?

What a mess it is.
    I suspect it’s either that they are trying to confuse people so they get it wrong / forget to scan the voucher (as I almost did today) or it’s been designed by an idiot….
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    GaleSF63 said:
    GaleSF63 said:
    Another reason for not shopping at Waitrose.
    Today's mail brought their note about how MyWaitrose "just got better".
    Not for me.  It seems I have to buy a smartphone in order to take advantage of any offer I select and I rather think it would take too long, if ever, to recoup that particular expenditure.
    I think they may appear on the website. If you go to "Offers" and then "My Waitrose Offers" hopefully they will appear there. At the moment there's nothing on mine but the Waitrose magazines which don't interest me but I live in hope!

ETA I was using my laptop. I don't have a smart phone and I don't go into the shops so we'll see!
    Yes.  Offers - from which you can select two to use - appear on the website.
    But, having selected an offer or two and wanting to use the offer in store, you have to scan the voucher code at the check-out.  (It doesn't mention emailing a voucher.)  So how does one scan the voucher code unless you have a smartphone on which to display it?
    I understand your frustration. It all seems unnecessarily complicated.  I can't see why if they've chosen offers for you, and you pick one, it can't just be identified when it goes through the checkout when your card is used. 

According to My Waitrose Offers, the offers are "shaped by the way you shop", so I wonder why have they only offered me magazines I have never ever ordered?

What a mess it is.
    My bold, that's how Marks Sparks card offers work, so simple as long as the card is swiped in store
    BTW my offers were all for what I have bought in the recent past which made a change from the earlier coupons where it seemed to me they were just trying to shift stuff

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Didn't they have something similar ages ago, I remember I found it confusing and didn't ever use it. Now lidl seem to be doing the same with the coupons, such tiny savings on things I do not buy. 

• pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 638 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Clowance said:
    Didn't they have something similar ages ago, I remember I found it confusing and didn't ever use it. Now lidl seem to be doing the same with the coupons, such tiny savings on things I do not buy. 

They used to do Pick Your Own Offers which was fantastic.  You could choose 10 items from a range of several hundred, and received 20% discount at the till.  It was especially good if the items you picked were on a multibuy offer, as the 20% discount would be off the full price and you would get the multibuy saving in addition.  I was saving £10+ each week at one point.

The new vouchers are much better than what's been offered in the last couple of years, but less good than the older schemes.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Clowance said:

I've stopped using my LIDL app, I don't spend enough to meet the £100 spend in a month and the coupons are never useful to me so I don't even scan it.

I tried to log onto waitrose and it didn't recognise me so i had to reregister, don't know how that works when they still send me coupons in the post etc!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • vm2pensioner
    vm2pensioner Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 March 2022 at 12:36PM
    The M&S Sparks system is much better: just scan your card for the discount. Has anyone tried to use two of the new Waitrose vouchers in store in the same basket? You can only have one voucher barcode showing on a smartphone, so you must have to log back in, select another voucher, etc. All seems very and unnecessarily cumbersome. Someone at customer services desk suggested it might be possible to print a copy and have it scanned like a coupon.
  • apga
    apga Posts: 708 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    vm2pensioner, I printed out the coupons and used both in the same basket shop in store - no problems.
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 6 March 2022 at 5:14PM
    Well, my offers today are quite good (relevant) on a percentage basis (25 or 30%) but as they are on low price items anyway it's a small saving - 50p or so on each. It saves no more money that their intermittent offers on the same items.
    As the offers change on Wednesday and I get my delivery on a Wednesday, presumably the offers will have expired anyway and I won't know what the new ones are till it's too late to change anything. Great!
    ETA I should always read to the end...  I can choose the offers up to Tuesday and they are valid up to the Wednesday.
    Was that information really there when I first looked... it looks hard to miss. 
  • arnoldy
    arnoldy Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I resolved  to try and avoid Waitrose after they failed to pay back the rates relief money. 

They should have done the right thing and paid back the money to the public purse like many other supermarkets. They join Co-op & Marks in the ethical hall of shame for failing to pay back the money. The newspaper offer provides another reason to choose a Supermarket that didn't take public money.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Waitrose are not in my ethical hall of shame but thanks for sharing yet again your views on the subject.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback