End of free newspaper at Waitrose

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,120
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Surprised the free newspaper offer on £10 spend has lasted so long!  Must admit I was one of those that sometimes spent my £10 there on Sunday to pick up the Observer.

Agree with MysteryMe that offers I have had are for pretty obscure items that I wouldn't buy and also for % off £60 spend when my normal spend is £20-30 ish if that.

Don't understand why MrsStepford never took advantage of any of the special offers ........
    Can't speak for her, but in my case it's because none of them have ever appealed to me, seems to consist of what I don't use or need and see no point in taking it just becuse it's free or cheap

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,347
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I quite often get £8 off if I spend £40 (sadly very easy to do in Waitrose!)
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,535
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You're lucky - I only ever get offers that I can't use like £10 off £100. Missing a delivery or 2 to let what I need build up would mean no fresh stuff for a while. 
    Perhaps they don't bother because I use them so regularly and they know they are getting my custom anyway. 
  • Greatgimp said:
    From 22nd February, shoppers with a Waitrose loyalty card will no longer get a free newspaper.
    I am really angry about this. Waitrose are going to lose a lot of customers including myself!!!

Due to the price increase of newspapers over the past few years, I was expecting Waitrose at some point to raise the threshold minimum spend to get a free newspaper from £10, but not to axe the scheme altogether!
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,865
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    To get a newspaper Monday to Friday a customer would have needed to spend £200 a month - which I would have thought would be good for Waitrose. 

As my nearest Waitrose is in the next town to me, I usual visit it a couple of times a month. I have always liked the fact that I could have a free newspaper when I went there, and read it on the bus home!

However, it seems that the free newspaper is not as much as a perk for others.
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 632
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    To get a newspaper Monday to Friday a customer would have needed to spend £200 a month - which I would have thought would be good for Waitrose. 

To get that £200 sales they would have had to give the customer between £14 (The Sun) and £50 (The Telegraph / The Guardian) of discount.  It's not worth it when they have plenty of customers spending £200 a week without freebies.
  • My brother has a Waitrose card but did not know that you could get free newspaper on £10 spend (does not belong to this forum!)
  • I see Waitrose have also changed their delivery charges. Slots now cost between £2-£5 depending on time. There has been no notification, just prices on the book a slot page.
  • Auntycaz
    Auntycaz Posts: 3,248
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My usual spend is under £10 as I don't drive and can't carry more than this home on the bus and I have mobility problems. I only ever get given a £4 off £40 spend or £6 of £60 spend. I gave the one I got on Saturday to a young couple with a couple of kids who were coming in as I was leaving at least someone could benefit from it with way prices are going up.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    We've been doing £10 shops at Waitrose to get a free paper for some time. It's often quite difficult to get up to that mark as we look at things and think 'that's cheaper in Lidl.'

I suspect we'll be spending less time in Waitrose in the future.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback