We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage free in Forever Home :-)

1…653654656658659…736

Comments

  • I often have disagreements here with my DP. He's great at doing DIY so I generally leave him to his own devices but I've noticed he will spend say a whole weekend on a temporary job (and money) because he'd rather have a temporary fix for a month and I disagree saying I'd rather save the money and time towards the actual, real, proper job and live with it as is. This in my opinion, is over doing it, not quite the same problem as you have but equally as annoying to me 🫣 and I try to be quiet but do tend to disagree quite a lot and we will skulk off into various corners of the house until we can reach an agreement 🤣
    Hope you both reach your agreement soon.
    Emergency Fund - £1000 
    Baby cash emergency fund £120/250 
    Mortgage OP goal 2026 - £1200/£4500 
    Groceries October £ 158.27/500

  • Sympathies and hugs. You've said in your post very clearly your completely valid reasons for not wanting that. Maybe make up tonight and say 'we can discuss it tomorrow with a good night's sleep behind us' then read that list tomorrow. Though maybe leave out the bit about his boss's mansion in case he feels his manhood is being challenged while he's still potentially tetchy. You can always save it as a retort if you feel you're not being listened to 😁
    Is there another job you can ask him to prioritise that only him and his brilliant skills could possibly do to help his damsel in distress? 
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 13,815 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Chocolate and rhubarb is not something I have seen before but I would give it a go, sounds lovely!
    Mortgage OP 2026 £1920/2000
    Mortgage balance: £29,382

    Make £50 a month Jan £20, Feb £0, March £31, Apr £20, May £30, Jun £120, Jul £0, Aug £45, Sept



  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 8,686 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    What lovely flowers. Hope they did the trick after "that day"
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

    In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,331 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!
    What a day.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,331 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!
    Chloe!! Naughty girl.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]
  • Beautiful flowers xx
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.