PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The all new using what you have from your Freezer, Cupboard or Shed (Barn)

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,282 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Reporting back to say thank you to @Pollie for this recipe: 6-Ingredient Walnut Parsley Pesto (5 Minutes & Easy!) - Key To My Lime.

It's an explosion of flavour and has helped with various oddments of things that needed to be used up. Parsley, parmesan, walnuts and olive oil all happened to be getting a bit elderly! I think I forgot to put salt in but it's quite garlicy so I've not missed it and what I didn't eat has gone in the freezer, so it won't be needed as a preservative. It made exactly a pesto jar full, but I did use less olive oil - about half a cup in total - as I like it quite thick.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I found a small gammon joint in the freezer that I bought for £1.25 just after Christmas. The oven was on so I I popped the defrosted joint into a roasting bag and it baked whilst I had other things cooking.
    Unfortunately because I hadnt soaked it it was really too salty. So husband made some lentil, leek and potato soup and added the gammon in chunks. The saltiness has gone and theres a few good lunch portions.

• Pollie
    Pollie Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yesterday I made a curry for dinner tonight using some of the frozen turkey crown reduced to £5.25 in JS last month. The rest of it was cooked, portioned and frozen for future sandwiches, stews, pies etc.

Also used up the remaining cheap carrots from Easter to make carrot, lentil and ginger soup. Made 3 ingredient cheese scones to accompany the soup using the remainder of a pot of yoghurt and grated cheese from the freezer.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,282 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I've thrown out the rest of the home made coleslaw - was never too keen in that recipe and it's starting to taste 'funny'. I'm also going to chuck out the anonymous cooked meat (old and dry :( ) and small, small portion of unlabelled sauce.

We've had another salmon, pasta and sauce meal and there's a bit of the sauce over which I think DH will have on a day when I'm at work.

There are various veg to use up, as ever - I might look out a less acidic coleslaw recipe and make more tomorrow.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport