PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2022 Vegan Storecupboard Challenge

Options

Comments

• leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    @kacie - it's less of a recipe and more of a chuck in really! 😉

I normally chop and sauté onions, garlic, carrots then add marigold vegetable bouillon powder and stir in. Add any herbs you like, a tin of chickpeas, some chopped black or green olives and any other veg you fancy, then stir in enough water to cover. Cook for about 15-20 minutes until veg is tender then add a drained tin of artichoke hearts. Cook for a further 10 mins or so then serve. 

Alternatively, you can just bung the whole lot in a slow cooker and cook until veg is ready 😉 

I've been eating lots of courgettes recently as my plants are going mental still! Wednesday I cooked another stuffed courgette but this time stuffed with cabbage, onion, red lentils, dates, cranberries, apple, apricot and raisins. It was lovely 😍  

Today it will be tofu marinated in basil oil; warm broad, purple and runner bean salad with dill; courgette salad with tarragon; potatoes and chocolate mint and lots of salad leaves - everything coming from the garden other than the tofu & oil for the basil oil! 😁

I need to cook another monster courgette I found yesterday too!

I'll will do a kaffir lime curry with half of it; I'll use a quarter in a pasta sauce and the other quarter will be sliced, chargrilled, spread with mashed cannellini beans and sage then rolled and served with a lemon butter

I'll freeze the pasta sauce and some of the curry for later in the year 😉
    Tilly Tidy Fund 2024: £80.86/£100

Weight loss challenge 2024:
    4/24lbs
    1st quarter starting weight: 9st 13.1lb
    2nd quarter starting weight: 9st 9.2lb
    3rd quarter starting weight: 
    4th quarter starting weight:

GC 2024 - Annual Target: £2712- Running total:£764.12/£2712
    Monthly Target: £226
    Jan: £74.12; Feb: £300; Mar: £190; Apr: £200; May: £; Jun: £; Jul: £; Aug: £; Sep: £; Oct: £; Nov: £; Dec: £

• KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 3,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Tomorrow we're harvesting carrots, potatoes, broad beans, courgettes and cabbage so I'm planning on: braised cabbage; new potatoes in sage butter; steamed broad beans and rainbow carrots and courgettes stuffed with hm haggis for dinner. 

Oooh, do you have a recipe for the HM haggis? :) The one I have is a bit limp on the flavour and the texture aspects .... 

KK
    As at 15.04.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £253,994, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £5,965, Interest saved £2,124, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 19 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 17th May)
    Produce tracker: £25.45 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    KajiKita said:

Tomorrow we're harvesting carrots, potatoes, broad beans, courgettes and cabbage so I'm planning on: braised cabbage; new potatoes in sage butter; steamed broad beans and rainbow carrots and courgettes stuffed with hm haggis for dinner. 

Oooh, do you have a recipe for the HM haggis? :) The one I have is a bit limp on the flavour and the texture aspects .... 

KK
    Here you go (I made it up as I went along so not quantities I'm afraid! 🤦‍♀️)

Dry roast some buckwheat in a pan, add some oil and washed puy lentils, stir till coated then added veg stock and cook for around 20-25 mins until just tender.
    Finely chop onion, garlic, carrots cook down in oil and vegan butter until soft, added paprika, allspice, mace, liquid smoke, finely chopped mushrooms; stir and cook until soft. Add buckwheat and puy lentils, oats, chopped walnuts and veg stock into which you have dissolved marmite, mustard and miso. Stir and cook mixture until thick, spoon into bowls/ramekins/loaf tins and cook until firm. 

4/24lbs

Jan: £74.12; Feb: £300; Mar: £190; Apr: £200; May: £; Jun: £; Jul: £; Aug: £; Sep: £; Oct: £; Nov: £; Dec: £

• leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    I've been making some raw foods recently - yesterday I made courgette hommous (courgette, garlic, oil, lemon juice, tahini, spices - all blitzed in the blender) and raw vegan 'mince' (walnuts, courgette, onion, mushrooms, parsley, lemon juice, soy sauce - dehydrated for about 5 hours) and in all honesty I've been pleasantly surprised! 😁

I'm making a tomato sauce to have with the mince (blitzed tomatoes, garlic and basil) and I'll spiralize a courgette as the 'pasta' - I'll serve with a beetroot and apple salad and leaves. 

The raw hommous I'm having as a sauce on broccoli and romanesca cauliflower which I'm serving with purple beans, rainbow carrots, chick peas and short grain brown rice cooked in stock. 

4/24lbs

• gill5blue
    gill5blue Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    I would love to join this, I am a vegetarian at the moment (1 year) and looking to go vegan.
    willing to learn as I go.
    gill5blue

pay all debts off 2023-No 30 paid £3340.45/£7941

• leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    Welcome aboard @gill5blue! 😁

4/24lbs

• leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    Made a courgette and artichoke bake on Friday- sliced courgette, red onion, capers, artichoke, red peppers - along with a Thai courgette and chickpea curry; shaved courgette with tarragon and lemon oil salad and a beetroot and apple salad.

I've frozen the curry and we ate the courgette bake with the salads but I've just got another three large courgettes from the garden so will need to do something with them today - I'm thinking that I will stuff one of them with a puy lentil and tomato sauce (I'll use one of the courgettes in the sauce 😉) and I'll make some 'meatballs' with the other courgette - I have no idea how yet but I'll work something out!! 😂

I've also harvested a couple of swede, some purple beans and some runner beans - the runners are massive so I'm actually going to shell them and just use the beans - so I'll serve the meatballs with those and mashed swede along with potatoes that I need to harvest! 😁

4/24lbs

• KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 3,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Here you go (I made it up as I went along so not quantities I'm afraid! 🤦‍♀️)

Dry roast some buckwheat in a pan, add some oil and washed puy lentils, stir till coated then added veg stock and cook for around 20-25 mins until just tender.
    Finely chop onion, garlic, carrots cook down in oil and vegan butter until soft, added paprika, allspice, mace, liquid smoke, finely chopped mushrooms; stir and cook until soft. Add buckwheat and puy lentils, oats, chopped walnuts and veg stock into which you have dissolved marmite, mustard and miso. Stir and cook mixture until thick, spoon into bowls/ramekins/loaf tins and cook until firm. 

This looks seriously tasty!  :) 

Do you drain the first lot of veg stock from the buckwheat and lentils? 

Also, what temperature and for how long do you 'bake' the mixture for (I appreciate this will vary by size of container etc.)

KK 
    As at 15.04.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £253,994, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £5,965, Interest saved £2,124, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 19 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 17th May)
    Produce tracker: £25.45 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    @KajiKita - I don't bother but that's because the buckwheat and lentils absorb the vast majority of it while they're cooking, if there is a lot left once your done then I'd drain. I cook it at around 160/170 - normally takes around 25- 30 mins but as you said it depends on the size of the container 😉

4/24lbs

• CCW007
    CCW007 Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi LATTL! Haven't posted here for ages, hope you are well.

Getting back to my vegan healthy eating plan so thought I'd check in here.  Got lots of recipe ideas so going to check the fridge and cupboards, make a meal plan and do a shopping list.  Will be reading along here for inspiration!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback