PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2022 Vegan Storecupboard Challenge

Options

Comments

• CCW007
    CCW007 Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Overnight oats prepped - have loads of oats in the cupboard I'm working my way through.  For lunch I think I'll do salad with broad beans (from my parents earlier this year) in chermoula and dinner might be braised coconut spinach (need to use =up a bag of spinach) with mixed beans and basmati rice. 
  • leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    Welcome back @CCW007! 😁 

Not a lot going on food wise here - we've got covid and I really can't face food at the moment 🤦‍♀️ we picked a load of runner beans that have been on the plant for too long at the weekend- I've taken the beans out of them and frozen them ready to cook when I'm back into eating- I love them! 
    Tilly Tidy Fund 2024: £80.86/£100

Weight loss challenge 2024:
    4/24lbs
    1st quarter starting weight: 9st 13.1lb
    2nd quarter starting weight: 9st 9.2lb
    3rd quarter starting weight: 
    4th quarter starting weight:

GC 2024 - Annual Target: £2712- Running total:£764.12/£2712
    Monthly Target: £226
    Jan: £74.12; Feb: £300; Mar: £190; Apr: £200; May: £; Jun: £; Jul: £; Aug: £; Sep: £; Oct: £; Nov: £; Dec: £

• CCW007
    CCW007 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon x
  • Elisheba
    Elisheba Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm joining as I've decided to move towards veganism. I've been veggie for over 30 years and resisted the vegan call as I love dairy. I can't be doing with all this crazy weather though so will only be buying vegan from now on and will run down my (mainly frozen) stocks of veggie food.

I watched Those Vegan Guys on YT (recommended here) and loved them. One night they just had a plate of potatoes and veg covered in gravy and it was so refreshing from seeing all the super fancy YT video food  :D.

I'm very into frugality and won't be buying a lot of processed stuff, and have a few vegan cookbooks to read through to get me started. I'll need to make a proper effort though as I don't enjoy cooking much and am not very inventive.

Most of my meals this week will be vegan - 
    Mon and Tues - wraps with onions, mushrooms, peppers, vegan Greek yog and vegan cheese
    Wed and Sat - tortilla pizza
    Thurs and Fri - out

Breakfast is overnight hm muesli and banana which will be vegan once I finish the current carton of milk

Lunches - hm soup and hummus sandwiches 

Live the good life where you have been planted.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • pinkladyvenus
    Options
    Elisheba said:
    Hi all,

I'm joining as I've decided to move towards veganism. I've been veggie for over 30 years and resisted the vegan call as I love dairy. I can't be doing with all this crazy weather though so will only be buying vegan from now on and will run down my (mainly frozen) stocks of veggie food.

I watched Those Vegan Guys on YT (recommended here) and loved them. One night they just had a plate of potatoes and veg covered in gravy and it was so refreshing from seeing all the super fancy YT video food  :D.

I'm very into frugality and won't be buying a lot of processed stuff, and have a few vegan cookbooks to read through to get me started. I'll need to make a proper effort though as I don't enjoy cooking much and am not very inventive.

Most of my meals this week will be vegan - 
    Mon and Tues - wraps with onions, mushrooms, peppers, vegan Greek yog and vegan cheese
    Wed and Sat - tortilla pizza
    Thurs and Fri - out

Breakfast is overnight hm muesli and banana which will be vegan once I finish the current carton of milk

Lunches - hm soup and hummus sandwiches 

have a look at this blog I found her recipes a great help when first went vegan. https://simpleveganblog.com/

Sealed pot challenge member 437
  • leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    Thanks @CCW007 😊 welcome aboard @Elisheba and I'll check out the blog @pinkladyvenus

So, appetite is starting to come back - I'm making roasted peppers and tomatoes tomorrow to have with a variety of salads and new potatoes from the garden. 

I've got more courgette than you can shake a stick at so I'm making a huge pan of courgette and tomato base/soup with lots of garlic and basil and will serve with some hm olive bread to have for lunches. The rest I will turn into a bean chilli; a jackfruit in smokey bbq sauce; a veg curry and a bolognese.

Most of that will be frozen as I'm starting a month long detox on Monday so will be sticking to fresh fruit, veg, nuts, seeds, short grain brown rice and herbs. I've got plenty of beans, more courgettes, carrots and beetroot in the garden so most of my meals next week will include those - I need to get my head around menu planning though as I've still got covid brain! 🤦‍♀️😂

4/24lbs

Jan: £74.12; Feb: £300; Mar: £190; Apr: £200; May: £; Jun: £; Jul: £; Aug: £; Sep: £; Oct: £; Nov: £; Dec: £

• leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    Third day of the detox and so far I've been having a selection of fruit for breakfasts (melon, grapes, strawberries, papaya, apples, lychees, blueberries); lunches have been short grain brown rice cooked in vegan bouillon, leaves, roasted veg, courgette 'hommous', balsamic vinegar; dinners have been steamed veg, spiced chickpeas, beetroot and apple salad, courgette, tarragon and lemon oil salad and leaves. 

Tomorrow will be fruit for brekkie; mixed veg 'rice', lemon baked tofu, leaves and calabrese with marjoram for lunch; short grain brown rice, roasted beetroot, steamed rainbow carrots and cucumber rolled macadamia cheese for dinner. 

At some point later this week I'll actually meal plan for the rest of the detox but I've been spending lots of time with my grandbaby this week (now that I'm testing negative for covid 🙌) so haven't had a lot of time! 

4/24lbs

• leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    Due to a variety of reasons, the detox was abandoned 🤦‍♀️ it's been a very stressful and expensive few weeks so lots of convenience food/rubbish eaten! Grocery budget spends have also been ridiculous so it's time to buckle down and sort stuff out!! 😉 I've got relatives over from today and a birthday celebration to do so I'm starting fresh on Tuesday when this weekend stuff is done 😁 

My plan is to get through the 10 days between Tuesday and our next Grocery budget start without spending more than £10 - menu plan (in no particular order) includes meals that have the main ingredients cooked once then used in different ways to minimise energy use and are all from storecupboard/freezer/fridge. I may have to buy additional potatoes and/or onions if my homegrown stuff isn't up to scratch but that's all 😁 So, the plan: 

1) Spicy red beans with rice and calabrese
    2) Spicy red bean enchiladas
    3) Cannellini beans with horseradish mash, carrots and peas
    4) Smoky courgette and jackfruit with pasta
    5) Smoky courgette and jackfruit in buckwheat pancakes and salad
    6) Ethiopian lentils with rice & hm flatbreads
    7) Puy lentils with buckwheat and a courgette and tarragon salad
    8) Nut burgers/balls with beetroot and apple salad & leaves
    9) Moroccan lemon & potato casserole with chickpeas in a herb dressing and mashed swede
    10) Moroccan lemon soup with hm olive bread

4/24lbs

• leftatthetrafficlights
    leftatthetrafficlights Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    edited 25 September 2022 at 10:40AM
    Options
    Red beans have been eaten in both guises and leftovers of those have also been consumed - very nice! 

Tonight I'm making braised cabbage and rice for me - we've had family here all  weekend putting in our new boiler so plenty of none vegan leftovers for dh to get through/repurpose over the next few days for him. I'll be making the Moroccan lemon and potato casserole tomorrow as it's 2 meals out of one so will see me through while the leftovers are being consumed. 

Our new grocery budget starts at the end of this week so I'll do a meal plan for October tomorrow after I complete a food inventory- after the past 3 weekends of family visits/looking after the grandbaby, I have little knowledge of what's going on in my stores!! 😳😂 

4/24lbs

• leftatthetrafficlights
    leftatthetrafficlights Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    edited 25 September 2022 at 10:40AM
    Options
    Freezer contents have been inventoried and we have six boxes of 'not a clue' in there which isn't too bad really! 

Today we are having the smokey jackfruit,  and courgette with buckwheat pancakes (apparently they're called galettes!) and salad - I'm doing a beetroot and apple salad plus a courgette and tarragon with lemon oil as these are my faves! 😁 

The leftovers from the courgette and jackfruit will be used tomorrow with either pasta or some herb dumplings - dh has some cheeses to use up so it's most likely to be pasta though. 

Tuesday is going to be puy lentils and buckwheat with whatever is left over from the salads - if nothing remains then I'll grab some swede, carrots and celeriac from the garden and 'rice' them, dress them in marjoram and lime juice and serve that raw on the side 😁

Wednesday will be freezer roulette and Thursday will be decided once we discover what Wednesdays food is! 😂😂😂

4/24lbs

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback