PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2022 Vegan Storecupboard Challenge

Options

Comments

• leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    Thanks for that info @cod3! 😁 I hope the oat milk search works out well for you! 

I  had a bit of a look in the freezer this week to see what is in there and have 3 boxes of cannellini beans in garlic and sage to use up so am planning on using some of them in the menu plan this week - I'll probably do an artichoke stew with them. I have some tortillas to use up this weekend so am going to make wraps with the frozen 'kebab' stuff that is also in the freezer - I've got natural yoghurt in the fridge but it's out of date so not sure if it will be edible 🤔 worth a try though and if it's too ropey I'm going to use it to mush up moss and paint on some stones in the garden!! 

I'm going to use some buckwheat this week - I think I'll do buckwheat pancakes as they were yummy last time - I'll probably cook ethiopian lentils to go with them. 

So, the menu plan for this week is: 

Saturday: Kebab wraps

Sunday: Cashew and cranberry roast with cauliflower and whatever veg I buy tomorrow 

Monday: Spicy black beans with horseradish mash 

Tuesday: Butternut squash tagine

Wednesday: Artichoke stew

Thursday: Ethiopian lentils with buckwheat pancakes 

Friday: BBQ banana blossom with rice

Tilly Tidy Fund 2024: £80.86/£100

Weight loss challenge 2024:
    4/24lbs
    1st quarter starting weight: 9st 13.1lb
    2nd quarter starting weight: 9st 9.2lb
    3rd quarter starting weight: 
    4th quarter starting weight:

GC 2024 - Annual Target: £2712- Running total:£764.12/£2712
    Monthly Target: £226
    Jan: £74.12; Feb: £300; Mar: £190; Apr: £200; May: £; Jun: £; Jul: £; Aug: £; Sep: £; Oct: £; Nov: £; Dec: £

• cod3
    cod3 Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    @leftatthetrafficlights I found the barista oat milk from Farmfoods delicious in tea and nasty in coffee.  Go figure  :D

I wish I could meal plan as well as you.  My family don't like to plan meals too far in advance and prefer to see what they fancy on the day  :/  At least we have the Oddbox veg box subscription now.  It forces us to be more creative with what we are given and to try new recipes while cutting food waste.  It has been very successful so far.

• TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oatly oat milk goes well in coffee but again the batista stuff (just my opinion). I think its fine in tea (I drink tea without milk) as my wife is happy with it.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • leftatthetrafficlights
    leftatthetrafficlights Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 June 2022 at 1:02PM
    Options
    cod3 said:
    @leftatthetrafficlights I found the barista oat milk from Farmfoods delicious in tea and nasty in coffee.  Go figure  :D

I wish I could meal plan as well as you.  My family don't like to plan meals too far in advance and prefer to see what they fancy on the day  :/  At least we have the Oddbox veg box subscription now.  It forces us to be more creative with what we are given and to try new recipes while cutting food waste.  It has been very successful so far.

That's random!! 😳😂 (the oatmilk thing - not the veg box!!)

My meal plans don't always go according to plan so don't be impressed! 🤦‍♀️😂 It tends to end up as 'this is what I'm intending to do' then we just eat it when we want to - so if we don't eat all of the meals one week (very regular occurance as I still haven't got the hang of portion control so end up adapting leftovers into something else), we just munch it the next time I'm cooking 😁 I still like to plan though as it takes the 'what shall we have?' conversation out of the equation 😉 

So, next week's plan: 

Monday - roasted plantains stuffed with spicy blackbeans and a papaya salsa

Tuesday- artichoke and chickpea casserole with horseradish mash and green beans

Wednesday- chargrilled 'halloumi' with roasted peppers, short grain brown rice  salad leaves and a tarragon dressing

Thursday - bbq jackfruit with baked pineapple salsa and wraps

Friday - ethiopian lentils with buckwheat pancakes 

Saturday - fridge soup

4/24lbs

Jan: £74.12; Feb: £300; Mar: £190; Apr: £200; May: £; Jun: £; Jul: £; Aug: £; Sep: £; Oct: £; Nov: £; Dec: £

• cod3
    cod3 Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    @leftatthetrafficlights That all sounds so delicious!  And varied too.  I am going to show your meal plans to my daughter for inspo.  She is a great cook and always on the lookout for new dishes to try  :)
  • leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    @cod3 - thank you! 😁 I hope she gets some inspiration from the contributors to this thread - I think we're all guilty of falling into a rut with food sometimes so it's nice to get new ideas ! 😉 

So far this week we've done Mondays plans which we had as leftovers on Tuesday; Wednesday and Thursday we had Thursdays meal and tonight we're having a chorizo, bacon and tomato pasta sauce with roasted tomatoes and hm olive bread as I had chorizo and bacon left over from the birthday breakfast at the weekend and some tomatoes that were looking like they needed using up! We'll probably have those leftovers tomorrow! 

I think when I do my meal plans in future I'll stick to 3-4 days - I still haven't got the hang of portion control when I'm cooking so leftovers are common! 🤦‍♀️ 

I'm going away for a couple of days next week so probably won't do a meal plan but will post what I have on days I'm home 😉

4/24lbs

• leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    Lots going on in rl so have been awol for a while! 🤦‍♀️  

I've been doing well though on the food front - started harvesting a few bits from the garden so have been using those (makes meal planning difficult though as it depends on what is ready! ) 

I made some stuffed cabbage leaves with an enormous summer cabbage from the garden (leaves stuffed with brown rice, porcini mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes and olives) and did some braised cabbage with the remainder which I served with haggis and new potatoes. 

I harvested an aubergine, broad beans,  courgette and basil so made aubergine stacks with basil lemon oil and salad - very nice! 😁 

Made ethiopian lentils on Friday so we had those yesterday and there's enough left for lunch today. We're doing hm pizza for dinner so that we can use our outdoor oven - the sauce and dough were taken out of the freezer yesterday to defrost as I made a big batch last time 😉

It's going to be a bit of a salad and potato fest for the next couple of weeks as we have loads of both in the garden! 

I'm going to go through all my recipe books over the next week to see if there is anything that inspires me - while I'm mainly a 'throw it together' kinda person, every so often I do like to mooch through for things that I haven't tried or stuff I've forgotten about! Admittedly, I always end up adapting them to the point they have little resemblance to the original but it helps respark my head when it's too hot to really bother with eating! 😉

4/24lbs

• leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    Been eating mainly from the garden recently! 😁 

Today we had a large green salad with strawberries, grapes and raspberries; short grain brown rice cooked in veg stock; roasted peppers; courgette salad with tarragon and lemon oil dressing; grated yellow beetroot and apple with blackberry balsamic dressing and hommous 😋 it was absolutely lush!! 

Tomorrow we're harvesting carrots, potatoes, broad beans, courgettes and cabbage so I'm planning on: braised cabbage; new potatoes in sage butter; steamed broad beans and rainbow carrots and courgettes stuffed with hm haggis for dinner. 

Lunch will be a repeat of today's dinner as we still have some of all of it left! 🙌

4/24lbs

• leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    Food has gone according to my last post apart from making marjoram butter instead of sage 😉 dh harvested the courgettes and discovered 2 large ones that I hadn't even seen so I ended up also making a courgette bake with sliced courgette, a tomato sauce made with fajita spices, onions, tinned tomatoes, garlic, paprika and liquid smoke and vegan meatballs. It's lush but there's enough to feed an army so I'll have to freeze some of it! 😂 

Tomorrow I'm going to keep it simple - salads, steamed veg, herb and nut balls and cumin and olive fried new potatoes. No idea what type of veg or salads yet - depends on what is ready 😉

4/24lbs

• kacie
    kacie Posts: 901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Can I please get the recipe for your artichoke and chickpea casserole? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback