Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,364 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Breaking it into bite size pieces is the way to go. It will come right 
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Morning all. 

Good news for me this morning is that my salad leaves has started sprouting. The first bit of growth this year so far. We have had frost every morning for the past week and temperatures have been in the minus figures so I brought them into the conservatory to keep them from the frost. I was quite pleased to see that there is movement there already. 

I have some more seeds that need planting in February but I have everything ready so that should be a simple thing. Also the salad leaves can be planted all year round so I'm hoping it can keep us in salad (well me anyway) without having to spend too much in the shops. I'm planning to keep a tally of what grows and how much we harvest so that I can adjust figures next year to make us more self sufficient. I know I can't get there using pots like I am now but once the greenhouse is up and the veg plots are placed and built we should do better. 

Being as self sufficient as possible has always been a dream of mine and this house and the garden is a step towards that. We will never be completely self sufficient, I know that, but I will be happy with "as close as we are able"
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    starnac, I really like the sound of your sprouting achievements!  When I was catsitting in London a few years ago, I joined a tour of a commercial sprouting firm, based in old London Underground tunnels.  Fascinating!  I grew an experimental lot myself, I always had a yen to do exactly what you're describing, but to do it when you've got a chance of living it in full is wonderful!  Keep going!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • starnac
    Wow KC that sounds amazing!! What an experience
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • Karmacat
    It was great, even the location - the ticket cost an arm and a leg, but worth every penny, I'd certainly recommend it to anyone.
  • starnac
    Morning.

I've been a bit MIA. It's been quite busy here though. Work has started getting busy again which is a nice change. 

We've also been working on the garden. I currently have salad, leeks, potatoes and carrots planted. My greenhouse hasn't been erected yet so tomatoes will be planted next month. I've been making note of where the sun falls on the garden at what time so I have a plan now of where the greenhouse and (eventual) raised veg plots will go. So far everything is in pots. 

I've also got a raspberry bush (well it looked more like 2 sticks when I bought it!) which now has leaves on it. The pear tree is also starting to wake up which is nice. DD wanted to plant some lavender so that was done. 

DH started clearing the one part of the garden in readiness for the chickens. We registered to rehome ex battery chickens but weren't expecting to hear anything until after the bird flu restrictions were lifted. Anyway I had an email to say there were chickens available near me today so I applied and we were approved. DH had to make some adjustments to the chicken run to comply with the restrictions still in place but we are ready and I'm collecting 5 ladies this afternoon. I am so excited. Chickens have always been part of my forever home dream and I am so close to ticking that off. 

I hope you all have a lovely day in the sunshine. 
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • Karmacat
    Congratulations on the chickens!  That's great news 🐔  and the garden sounds like it's going to be really productive.
  • savingholmes
    Your garden and chicken 🐓 🐔 plans sound fab
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
  • starnac
    Thanks both.

The chickens have settled in really well. The kids have really enjoyed looking after them too which is great. 

We ended up having to buy a polytunnel to house them under after the original roof DH built blew off twice. So once the bird flu restrictions are lifted I will have a "slightly-used" polytunnel to grow veg under! Not bad I suppose! Once the polytunnel is down and the chickens have the whole of the run to free range in they will look so small. I may need to get more in the future ;)
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • savingholmes
    Does that mean you could grow some stuff in the polytunnel at the same time or is not advised due to the bird flu risk?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure