Forever Starts Now

Comments

• starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 January 2022 at 10:24AM
    sabsob said:
    Hi starnac, late to your diary, but as a newer newbie, I wanted to wave. Your house sounds lovely, and I totally get how Covid will have impacted a choice to move - we live in the countryside, and being able to be away from everybody within a few minutes' walking was a huge blessing during lockdown. I'll be following your journey :)
    Hi sabsob, welcome. Ha! I can totally see how that was a blessing! 

It's really odd here as even though I am pretty antisocial, my work means that I know a lot of people in the community (plus small village) so I whenever I was out in the village I would see loads of people who wanted to speak to me. Now we've moved I don't know anyone here so it's odd when I'm out and about to not speak to anyone. 

Saying that though, I regularly see the breakfast club ladies on my home from dropping my son to school. They seem to come out as I'm on my way home. They always say hi. Plus I walked to work Monday and saw a woman who's daughter I helped on Boxing Day and she stopped to say Hi. So I kind of feel like I'm settling in now :D 
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • sabsob
    sabsob Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Villages definitely take a while to get settled into, don't they? We sometimes joke that we are only about 3 generations away from being "local" :)  It's nice that your work makes you part of the local community - mine doesn't, but we connect in other ways, through the library, etc.
    Declutter challenge: List 312 things in 2022: 45/312
    Mortgage-free Wannabe: Re-mortgage at start: £131,423 (27th Jan 2022)
    OP since re-mortgage: £1500
  • starnac
    Oh that is so true of small villages! 
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sounds really something.  And I love having an office - mine is *very* badly organised right now, but it's there.  Blissful.  A footpath would be good too, mind you :) 
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I created an office space for myself too and it is lovely. Beats working in the lounge!
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF) plus spent £10K+ on home improvements/emergency repairs
    2) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £8.063/£127,466 AVC target 6.32%
    3) FI Age 60 annual income target £12,500/30,000 41.66%
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
  • starnac
    I created an office space for myself too and it is lovely. Beats working in the lounge!
    It absolutely does. It's worth it just for the fact that I don't have to clear everything away for tea time (if I work at the dining table) or that the coffee table is now clear (if I'm in the lounge) 
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • starnac
    Morning. Happy Monday.

Hope you've all had a great weekend. 

We spent most of it out in the garden. DH chopped more wood so the log store he built is now almost full, he also moved more of the tree that was lying right in the middle of the garden and installed the gate he had made which will eventually separate the dog from the chickens. 

I did a bit more weeding. I cleared the ivy and branches that were overhanging the wall into the lane, cleared more of the steps from the conservatory to make it a bit safer, collected up old broken pots that seem to be under all the brambles and ivy and pruned one of the pear trees.

Some of my seeds and plants arrived last week too, so I planted some of the salad leaves, prepped the bags for the potatoes, and planted the raspberry plant. It has been minus figures every day over the weekend so I moved them into the downstairs conservatory for now so protect them from the frost. I'm hoping it'll start warming up soon so they can go outside. 

We tried out our pizza oven again and we were much more successful this time. Still some tweaking to do but at least they were edible this time :D 
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You've done really well outside!  Good for you - jobs like those can hang on forever.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Glad the pizza oven is going better. Sounds like you've had a productive time.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF) plus spent £10K+ on home improvements/emergency repairs
    2) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £8.063/£127,466 AVC target 6.32%
    3) FI Age 60 annual income target £12,500/30,000 41.66%
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
  • starnac
    You're right KC, they do hang around forever. I'm trying to do bits and pieces when the weather is okay enough to go out there. Work obviously limits the time I can be out there but as I work from home I have been using breaks between meetings and my lunch time to go out there. The weekend helped too. 

DH has Friday off work and I think he is planning to do more out in the garden. 

I have been watching and taking note where the sun is in the garden during the day as I am hoping to get the greenhouse up at some point this year. It won't be in time for spring planting so I'll use the conservatory for now. Everything will be planted in pots too then eventually we will build raised veg plots and build the greenhouse. 

Still a lot of work to do and we will get there eventually. I'm just trying not to get too overwhelmed by it all. 
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills