Forever Starts Now

Hi all. 

After years of saying we were looking to move, we finally did it! Our last house was meant to be a temporary stop before our "Forever Home" but life got in the way, we paid off debt, we had another child, changed jobs etc, and we were still living there 11 years later. 

The pandemic finally gave me the push I needed. The four of us (plus the dog) stuck at home with no garden to enjoy the beautiful weather we had. I finally had enough and pulled my finger out. I sorted out our savings, which were pretty good (thanks MSE and years of DFW), organised them and our budgets, and saved the money we weren't spending due to being at home. We had a decent amount for a deposit and both have decent jobs so we were able to get a big mortgage for our forever home. 

We found one eventually but it meant moving out of our area and the kids had to move schools. So it was a big decision for us to go for it.

We have been in for 2 months now and are finally feeling settled. However, the mortgage figures give me anxiety! It's the biggest amount I have ever owed! 

So we start here! The road to completely owning our Forever Home. 

Forever Starts Now.
Goals for September
Declutter 10/20
Money Made £56.52/£200
Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead

Comments

• starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Figures (as of today 23/12/2021)

Mortgage: £288,414.31
    Interest Rate: 2.37%
    Monthly payment: £1,363.90
    Time Remaining: 22years 9 months
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • starnac
    Forumite
    I am struggling with the new forum format. I know it's probably not new anymore but it's been a while since I've posted on here. I need to update my signature. I managed to do it yesterday but I can't remember how I did it! Lol!

I would ideally like to reduce the mortgage by £10k by this time next year. Definitely I want it to drop into the next 10 bracket so £27x,xxx 

I'm off to have a good catch up around the boards to get back into the proper MSE mindset again. Not the loose version I've been doing over the past few years. 

Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,247
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Happy shiny new diary  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,459
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Starnac!  Happy New Diary!  And you have a new house - with room for chickens, yay.  You know about the chicken thread on here, don't you?  It's run by the lovely Edwink, Cheery's a member too.  

Your garden sounds wonderful - and good for you, for taking the step.  A forever home has to have some greenery, if at all possible.

Subscribed :) 
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • starnac
    Forumite
    Hi both, Thank you for popping in. 

Ooh I didn't know about the chicken thread, I will go searching for it. Thank you.

Christmas Eve! Wow! Where has this year gone? I really can't believe it. I do not feel ready this year at all. Every year we save for Christmas so that we are not trying to buy everything out of November's wages but this year I didn't save as much as I normally do due to the house costing more than we had planned.

The kids have had everything off their lists (they don't really ask for much) and a few extras but apart from that there isn't much else. This house is so much bigger than the last one so our decorations are sparse, there's only the normal food in the fridge. I didn't even buy advent calendars this year because I was in hospital end of Nov, beg of Dec and forgot. It really doesn't feel Christmassy here at all. 

Thankfully we were given a tin of chocolates and some nice biscuits by people at church so we do have some sweet things to eat this evening while we watch a Christmas film in our new PJ's that the elf will leave when the kids have a bath later on. 
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,463
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hello! Welcome back (if you've been away - or had I just lost you??) and happy shiny new diary! :smile:

Chocs and Christmas film and new PJs sounds like a perfect Christmas eve :smile: We always had new PJs on Christmas eve too. Your house sounds a bit like ours this year - some decorations, but barely anything else, and I didn't even get out our permanent advent calendar (it's a little book that turns into a kind of frieze thing with little flaps to open). 

Hey ho, tomorrow will turn up whether we're ready for it or not :smile:

Looking forward to following on your journey! I have a similarly scary mortgage (lower than yours, but with only my income and Mr Cheery's pension). Nearly four years in and I'm starting to get used to the idea :lol:

I see you've found the chicken thread - hooray! 

• starnac
    Forumite
    Hi Cherry. Yes I've been away from MSE for a while. Back now though as mortgage is a scary amount!!!

Yes found the chicken thread yay! 
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
  • Just make questioning every spend an "in-built" habit that you do daily.

Always look for cheaper options which provide the same result.

Watch your mortgage on a monthly basis and record all overpayments.

Once your in the "habit" you'll stay with it as you'll realise how much money your actually saving.

Good luck & stick with it!
    £52,365 owing December 2017.Now for the final countdown..1st Jan 2021 - £29,316 -- 1st Feb 2021 - £28,809 -- 1st Mar 2021 - £27,309 -- 1st Apr 2021 - £26,811 -- 1st May 2021 - £26,315 -- 1st Jun 2021 - £25,811 -- 1st Jul 2021 - £24,311 -- 1st Aug 2021 - £23,809 -- 1st Sep 2021 - £22,305 -- 1st Oct 2021 - £21,798 -- 1st Nov 2021 - £20,292 -- 1st Dec 2021 - £19,783 -- 1st Jan 2022 - £18,276 -- 1st Feb 2022 - £17,762 -- 1st Mar 2022 -£17,248 -- 1st Apr 2022 -£15,713 -- 1st May 2022 - £15,202 --1st Jun 2022 - £13,703 -- 1st Jul 2022 - £13,184 -- 1st Aug 2022 - £11,665 -- 1st Sep 2022 - £11,144 -- 1st Oct 2022 - £9,822 -- 1st Nov 2022 - £9,298 -- 1st Dec 2022 - £7,572 --1st Jan 2023 - £7,045 -- 1st Feb 2023 - £5,516 -- 10th Feb 2023 - £5,518 Overpayment Pot @ 10th Feb 23 = £5,518 / Primed = £0 / Actual debt = £0!!!! "Yes, the medicine is harsh, but the patient requires it in order to live, should we withhold the medicine?" Hopefully at zero mortgage debt by December 2022 or very close to it. Determined for freedom! 🍻🥂🍸🍹.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback