Forever Starts Now

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,698 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    😂😂 Yes I feel the same about our house - sometimes glorious, sometimes despair with all the things left to do 😂 I confess I don't mind a bit of wood paneling, although I prefer it painted. We don't have any though! We are woodchip all the way, including some of the ceilings 😂 I can live with that, although I will be very pleased when we can get rid of the bathroom carpet 😂
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Wood panelling on the ceiling would get to me - as would the clash of textures and designs. I had a false drawer front in the kitchen and during lockdown one we managed to fit a drawer in the space. We'd lived 14 years without it but it does make such a difference. 

Could you put the cutlery in baskets and put them on shelves and then just pull out the basket as needed. That way it could at least be behind a cupboard door. 

Well done to your DH in learning BSL.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No actual drawer for the cutlery would send me bananas, I'm with you, starnac!  As for the wood panelling ... hmmm, it depends what's behind it (sorry  :'( ).
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Karmacat said:
    No actual drawer for the cutlery would send me bananas, I'm with you, starnac!  As for the wood panelling ... hmmm, it depends what's behind it (sorry  :'( ).
    That's the worry. Part of me is like "rip it down" then the other part is like  :o "what is it hiding?"

@savingholmes the cutlery are in baskets at the moment just on the windowsill. Maybe putting them behind a cupboard door would make it at least look tidier

@Cheery_Daff bathroom carpet?  :s oh no! We have one in the dining room which I am not keen on due to possible food spillages. I like to be able to sweep up straight after dinner but after living in houses with mostly wooden/laminate floors downstairs the hoover is not my first thought.
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I've finally got round to lifting my bathroom carpet recently - only to find TWO layers of vinyl underneath 🤦‍♀️
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    starnac said:
    The house is glorious. It also makes me despair at the same time. There is nothing wrong with it per se. It is in a completely liveable condition, BUT, and I know I'm being petty, for instance, there are no drawers in the kitchen! Where does my cutlery go? They are currently living on the windowsill. 
    This so reminds me of our house, we lived without draws for 11 years until we finally got a new kitchen 8 years ago.  I got used to not having draws very quickly but my goodness my draws were such a novelty in my new kitchen that i kept opening and shutting them for the first week i had them, just because i could 🤣🤣🤣
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,698 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    We're doing that with our kitchen at the minute 😂😂 A cutlery drawer! A sink in the same room as the cooker! 

Yes, bathroom carpet is hideous. We only haven't taken it up because there were more pressing things (ie a kitchen). Also we have a new bath, which isn't the same shape as the old one - no point taking the carpet up if we can't replace it with something else, and no point replacing til we can fit the new bath,  and no point doing that til we can sort out the hideous tiles (which have been painted with EMULSION!! Which is, of course, all flaking off).

Anyway, a project, but one that wasn't as important as getting a kitchen!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback