Forever Starts Now

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It sounds like you had a lovely time, starnac, I'm very pleased for you - and blimey, it sounds like you were in hospital just after you moved in?  Are you fit to be MFWing?  Well, it seems like it's going swimmingly at the moment, so hopefully you are!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Welcome back. I used to post on one of your old diaries. 🐔 Sounds fun
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Karmacat said:
    It sounds like you had a lovely time, starnac, I'm very pleased for you - and blimey, it sounds like you were in hospital just after you moved in?  Are you fit to be MFWing?  Well, it seems like it's going swimmingly at the moment, so hopefully you are!
    Yes. It's typical that it all happens at once isn't it?

We were supposed to move in the summer. We organised the new school as we were moving to a different Local Authority, and we arranged for the kids to start in September. Then the move got pushed back so we were living surrounded by boxes, having to drive 30-45mins at rush hour twice a day to take the kids back and forth to school. It wasn't the best but it was necessary. 

Then we finally moved and got most things sorted and my work was starting to pick back up, when I got a phone call from the hospital. Now bare in mind, I have been waiting for this operation since January, they rang and said "we can fit you in next week" So it was a rush to get things ready. I had to have a PCR test and isolate. I had to find cover for all the school sessions I had booked for work, DH had to change his working pattern so he could take the kids to school etc. But it had to be done. 

Thank you for asking but I am fine to be MFWing. I had BAHA surgery. It's a Bone Anchored Hearing Aid. I've been hard of hearing all my life and numerous operations to try and "fix" it hasn't worked. Now the inside of my ears are not "normal" lol! so the sound doesn't travel down them the way it should, meaning my hearing is getting worse and normal hearing aids are not really doing what they should anymore. The surgery I had involved the surgeon screwing a kind of metal screw to my skull, behind my ear. It will stick out of my skin slightly with an attachment that looks like a popper you get on baby clothes. Once it's healed I'll get a processor (a small box like thing) that will click on and off to the screw. That will receive the sound and transmit it through the screw to my skull. The vibrations will go through my skull directly to the cochlear where sound is processed. The sound will miss out all the middle ear (which either doesn't work or doesn't exist in my case). The trial I had last Christmas (on a headband) meant I heard sounds I haven't heard for years. 

The plan is to get the processor in January but it's not healing as well as it should at the moment so that could get pushed back. But once I get it my life will be so much louder  :D 
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • savingholmes
    Will be exciting to hear normal sounds again.
    3) CC £3.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Will be exciting to hear normal sounds again.
    Yes, but a bit daunting too. I've never known any different really. I'm afraid it's going to be too overwhelming. 
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • savingholmes
    I'm sure it will be overwhelming initially but then it should settle.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    starnac, thanks for explaining that - it sounds a wonderful opportunity, but I can totally understand you're concerned about being overwhelmed - loud days can completely exhaust me, though I'm just "hazy" of hearing, not hard of.  Hopefully people around you will cooperate, though of course it's not just people.  

Roll on that processor!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,698 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    In my experience chickens rarely appreciate anything except treats 😂😂

Glad DH has started learning sign language! I can well imagine people aren't as accommodating as they think they are. 

New house sounds glorious! 😊😊
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure