Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell my family their Christmas presents are second-hand?

Options

Comments

• confusedgranny
    Options
    You have done something for the planet by buying 2nd hand instead of new. If you tell you may be encouraging them to think too.
    But only you know how they will see it.
  • ginger_chocolate
    Options
    Have you bought anything they might want to return or expect a guarantee on (like electrical goods)? If so, it might be a good idea to mention it. If not, I don't see why it makes any difference. I often buy second hand stuff as presents - I don't hide the fact, but I don't see any need to announce it every time either.
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    Relax,we've given out old unwanted presents from years ago to different people and no one is any the wiser.Your last comment is interesting.........."How would they know what you've spent on them before?".What i suggest you do is start to be less free and easy with the info. your giving out,not knowing is always best.
  • eao
    eao Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, do not tell them.  They might feel insulted that you considered them so shallow that they would appreciate brand new tat to well thought out 'preowned' items.  Many years ago I bought at auction on 2 occasions items for my wife; 1..a possibly preowned 1st World War periscope, it looked brand new in its original leather case although it may have seen action in the trenches of the Western Front, and 2..a lovely telescope, ex RN I think.  Had I bought them brand new she would have disliked them more than she did these actual items.
  • Groom
    Groom Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aren't they called Pre-loved now and not second hand? 
    If they are in good condition, the fact that you bought them while abroad and put some thought into the purchase, should mean more than you not bothering and just giving them a gift voucher. Unless it is really obvious they aren't new, I wouldn't say anything. It is the done thing these days anyway to recycle. 
  • Hadenoughofitall
    Options
    How can you give someone a second hand present? It's ridiculous. If you are short of money give them a lottery ticket.
  • tindella
    tindella Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Absolutely not -as far as I'm concerned you're a canny shopper - and you're trying to do your bit for the environment!  Good on yer! Have a great Christmas!  :)
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    staggered said:
    Anyway ... back to the topic, it's nobody's business where gifts are bought from or how much they cost.  If the recipient doesn't like them they can shove them.
    Not sure second-hand sex toys are a good idea...
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    NBLondon said:
    Not sure second-hand sex toys are a good idea...
    Apparently, it is possible to hire them...

There was a dodgy documentary on C4 / 5 at some point during the pandemic about people who'd had great jobs and stopped for COVID and found themselves doing things they never thought.  One of the people was a lady who got the min wage job cleaning returned items and re-packaging them to be sent out to the next user.

Who'd have though it, eh?
  • wotnots
    Options
    Tell them. Encourage them to do them same when giving to you in future. I always try to encourage my family to buy secondhand books in particular as I like art or recipe books that can be very pricey new and the kids get through so many so fast. As you say secondhand doesn't mean tatty. It makes both environmental and economic sense. I have bought my niece a book she requested but half price secondhand so could afford an extra gift for her. My budget stays the same, I can just get more or better brands if secondhand. My daughter was thrilled with her worn once DMs off ebay that were £60 instead of £145 for her birthday recently. My kids know that getting a refurbished phone means that they can get a newer/better model. As another poster said, with brands you can just call it vintage. My nephew actually asked for vintage branded sweatshirt but from a vintage site. I hunted down the same one via ebay for a third of the price. Bargain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback