Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell my family their Christmas presents are second-hand?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

On a recent trip abroad, I bought Christmas presents second-hand for all my family. They're in amazing condition and I got them for good prices, plus I wanted to prioritise the environment (I didn't fly to my destination). To me, gift giving's about what you choose for a person and the effort you put in rather than the price you pay, but if they were to find out, I wouldn't want them to think I was trying to hide that I may not have spent as much on them as I have in the past.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B  If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
  Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tell them they’re vintage or antique. 
    Sorted. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would be inclined to tell them, if it was not obvious. I agree with you that any gift is about what you choose for a person and the effort you put in rather than the price you pay. Buying second-hand makes a lot of sense. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Doesn't it depend on what the gift is?  Is it an iPhone, a Rolex, a Peppa Pig jigsaw, a pair of socks ???
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    NBLondon said:
    Doesn't it depend on what the gift is?  Is it an iPhone, a Rolex, a Peppa Pig jigsaw, a pair of socks ???
    Quite - our local jewellers had a second hand Rolex recently at £52k.  When I was speaking to him about it (I don't usually like Rolex watches, but this one was gorgeous), he mentioned that he'd only pout it on display that morning and already taken the deposit - apparently it is a rare watch collector item.  Now, I should be very pleased to receive that as a gift on Christmas Day :smiley:

For the sake of clarity, I was never speaking to the jeweller as a prospective buyer of the watch, but was in there to buy some £25 cufflinks and mentioned it only as a passing jokey comment "lovely watch, but I could buy a Tesla for the money, if I had it"
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I was taught that with gift-giving, it's the thought that counts. If the items are in good condition - and you say that they are - there's no need to tell anyone anything. You've bought members of your family gifts that you have thought about. And I agree with you that gift giving is about what you choose for a person and the effort you put in, rather than the price you pay. Plus, you are helping the environment. That's a win-win as far as I can see. We can't always spend the same amounts on gifts each year because circumstances change. I wouldn't worry.

Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • CapeTown
    CapeTown Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You are the best ....really. Second hand, why not. The amount of money that is wasted each year sickens me. As someone else said... win win.

I am mindful of gifts my sister in law bought for my vegetarian daughter and this is honestly the truth. Three successive Christmases.  One ..pair of leather gloves. Two... leather covered photo frame.  And three.... she really surpassed herself here.... a hat with real fur bobble. I might add that my daughter has been vegetarian for years.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CapeTown said:
    You are the best ....really. Second hand, why not. The amount of money that is wasted each year sickens me. As someone else said... win win.

I am mindful of gifts my sister in law bought for my vegetarian daughter and this is honestly the truth. Three successive Christmases.  One ..pair of leather gloves. Two... leather covered photo frame.  And three.... she really surpassed herself here.... a hat with real fur bobble. I might add that my daughter has been vegetarian for years.
    To be fair some vegetarians do wear leather, as it's the eating of meat and fish that they don't wish to do. It is Vegans that are opposed to the the use of any  animal products so don't  things like eat dairy, eggs or honey either and don't wear items that have come from animals, such as you describe.

My own vegetarian daughter does own and use some leather items, though would draw the line at real fur. I do find that some people gets confused between vegetarians, pescatarians (eat fish)  and vegans. This astonishingly has happened to us in restaurants. If your daughter is actually vegan but has been incorrectly described as vegetarian then maybe that's where your sister in law has gone wrong? 

• VintageBelle
    Options
    No way. You should never have to justify the gifts you've given if they are genuine and heartfelt regardless of how new they are. Be proud of doing your bit for the environment and don't feel the need to tell them (unless as someone suggested it's second hand socks haha).
    If it would bother them that much then they are just very ungrateful!
  • realised
    Options
    I don’t think it matters. I have told my friends and family that if they are thinking of buying any plastic type toys for my 2 daughters to look second hand first. It’s my responsibility to care for the planet so they have somewhere to live!
  • staggered
    Options
    Spendless said:
    CapeTown said:

To be fair some vegetarians do wear leather, as it's the eating of meat and fish that they don't wish to do. It is Vegans that are opposed to the the use of any  animal products so don't  things like eat dairy, eggs or honey either and don't wear items that have come from animals, such as you describe.

My own vegetarian daughter does own and use some leather items, though would draw the line at real fur. I do find that some people gets confused between vegetarians, pescatarians (eat fish)  and vegans. This astonishingly has happened to us in restaurants. If your daughter is actually vegan but has been incorrectly described as vegetarian then maybe that's where your sister in law has gone wrong? 

I don't want to drag this thread off-topic but I think you're generalising here.  Vegetarianism and veganism are a broad spectrum.  It ranges from those who purposefully eat little meat ("flexetarians"?) to strict vegans who won't eat or use anything produced by animals.  Within that spectrum, it can be a bit "pick-and-mix".  So, I don't eat meat or fish but do eat a small amount of dairy. e.g. cake that has dairy ingredients or pizza with dairy cheese on.  But I don't wear leather shoes, watch straps, belts etc.  If I'm eating with someone and they ask if I'm vegan I say "not completely".  I don't make a big deal of it and don't judge meat-eaters.  I find that the most judgmental people are actually meat eaters who take me not eating meat as some kind of personal affront.

Anyway ... back to the topic, it's nobody's business where gifts are bought from or how much they cost.  If the recipient doesn't like them they can shove them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback