PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why would someone not redirect their post?

Options

Comments

• flyingv
    flyingv Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can really relate to a lot of the posts on this thread.  I sold my flat and moved into a rental 10 weeks ago.  The previous tenant was, by all accounts, a nightmare.  I'm still getting post for him and his partner, a lot of it official looking (mostly red bills, letters from NHS etc), but the funniest thing is the tenant before him (who moved out around 2 years ago) keeps sending all her parking fines and congestion charge notices here.  Everything goes back RTS. 

The first thing I did once I got my completion date was to do a year's redirection.  I get that it's quite pricey, but some people are clearly just trying to buck the system any way they can.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Options
    It's aboput time the thread was retitled to "mail for previous occupiers, why would anyone RTS?".

Open the mail deal with it if needed then bin. And by deal with it, often that is shaming the company on twitter until they stop sending mail to you.

I have had nothing but the junk mail (and why wopuld people change that) in years, it goes straight in the recyling.

On the similar thing part, I did get a vax call last year on the phone for the idiot (on bad accent who knows) gut who think my phone number is his. But nothing since.

My personal favourite previous occupier mail was the you can come and collect your property from the police! On first viewing she said she had no partner. On second she did. (She had him arrested and then took him back I guess). ASlso got a message from a kennel when their dog was found roaming the street. Reminders like tax/insurance were binned. If they don't care I don't. (She asked us to forward to her sister down the road, she did not want to be a part of it either so that ended quickly).

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 October 2021 at 5:57PM
    Options
    I dread to think of the poor people that moved into my MIL's (rented) house after she died, she was up to her eyeballs in debt and had no money in the bank, after she died I did try and call one finance company to explain that she had passed but they wanted too much info about me so I didn't call the umpteen others. 
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • firebubble
    Options
    It can lead to confusion around who is actually at the address - potentially impacting credit records if it goes on for a while and you become linked because it appears you both share an address. It's easy enough to separate out by contacting the credit reference agencies. I've had this happen before because I RTS the post and it either didn't get there or the companies did nothing.

For post sent from companies, open it, phone up the sender and say that the person no longer lives there. Because of data protection, the company won't send anything else out to your address, so the problem is sorted.

Christmas cards and handwritten post can still be forwarded if you have an address for the recipient although it's more effective to return to sender if possible, but there often isn't a return address.
  • lookstraightahead
    lookstraightahead Posts: 5,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 October 2021 at 7:03PM
    Options
    I dread to think of the poor people that moved into my MIL's (rented) house after she died, she was up to her eyeballs in debt and had no money in the bank, after she died I did try and call one finance company to explain that she had passed but they wanted too much info about me so I didn't call the umpteen others. 
    This is why new occupiers need to not get their knickers in a twist. They have no idea of the circumstances as to why post isn't being redirected and can only look at things from their (blinkered) perspective.

im not talking about those who get bombarded with baliff letters etc, but those that get the occasional letter or card for someone.

not everyone is lucky enough to have such an organised life.
  • Tokmon
    Tokmon Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It can lead to confusion around who is actually at the address - potentially impacting credit records if it goes on for a while and you become linked because it appears you both share an address. It's easy enough to separate out by contacting the credit reference agencies. I've had this happen before because I RTS the post and it either didn't get there or the companies did nothing.

For post sent from companies, open it, phone up the sender and say that the person no longer lives there. Because of data protection, the company won't send anything else out to your address, so the problem is sorted.

Christmas cards and handwritten post can still be forwarded if you have an address for the recipient although it's more effective to return to sender if possible, but there often isn't a return address.

Simply sharing and address with someone NEVER links them in credit records. This is only done when a joint credit agreement is taken out. 

• firebubble
    Options
    I don't think it's a formal link from joint credit, but for me, when I checked my credit record, the previous resident appeared as someone sharing the address, which wasn't the case. I think it just raises a question mark on the system as to whether you are connected or not, which isn't great if they are drowning in red notices. It was simple enough to get it corrected by emailing the credit reference agency and telling them the date they moved out.
  • Owleyes00
    Owleyes00 Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today I got a letter containing a check refunding interest paid on debt paid through an IVA. This is getting a bit ridiculous now - the M&S vouchers I can understand but why wouldn’t you update your address for important agencies 🙄🙄
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    Options
    Where we lived before was rented and one of the landlord's children had previously lived there. There was a mail redirection setup but it had ended and we started getting their post.
    The postman (nice friendly chap) did apologise to us when delivering some post. He knew the recipient didn't live there but without a redirect he was correctly delivering the post as addressed.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • diego_94
    Options
    How do you know what the letter says? Hope you didn't open it as its illegal - Postal Services Act 2000.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback