Panic buying

Comments

• prowla said:
    I don't understand this concept of "panic buying".
    Surely the only time there would be a "panic" would be if you couldn't buy essentials.
    Therefore the so-called "panic buying" is actually a rational preventative measure and thus is the precise opposite of a "panic".
    It's also hedging against rising costs, which is also quite sensible and rational, which makes it very much in the spirit of the Money Saving mission of this forum.
    That said, I don't have any immediate plans to buy any LPs.
    I agree with you, in that there is a difference between panic buying and being prepared. I think as a nation we are aware of how it was when there were rations in the war. There are some people who just get the basics while others myself included who like to know we have one in the cupboard or freezer "just in case" we can't get it next week.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Mnoee said:

There's also record players that have Bluetooth transmitters on - you can play the record as normal and transmit to a garden speaker. As long as its in range!

You can also buy a Bluetooth transmitter for your current record player - you'll need a spare plug socket and a 3.5mm (small headphones) audio out. 

I don't really understand MP3's or streaming and the Alexa (which I partly thought would do that job) is so poor sound quality it is relinquished to the meter cupboard where it serves only as a smart hub for the house to control lights etc.

I like the idea of a Bluetooth adaptor to simply convert the current record deck.  Thank you :)
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    prowla said:
    I don't understand this concept of "panic buying".
    Surely the only time there would be a "panic" would be if you couldn't buy essentials.
    Therefore the so-called "panic buying" is actually a rational preventative measure and thus is the precise opposite of a "panic".
    It's also hedging against rising costs, which is also quite sensible and rational, which makes it very much in the spirit of the Money Saving mission of this forum.
    That said, I don't have any immediate plans to buy any LPs.
    I agree with you, in that there is a difference between panic buying and being prepared. I think as a nation we are aware of how it was when there were rations in the war. There are some people who just get the basics while others myself included who like to know we have one in the cupboard or freezer "just in case" we can't get it next week.
    There's a difference between one in the cupboard/freeezer "just in case" and seven (of which the last 3 will end up being thrown away because they have gone off before anybody gets round to using them).  When you see people buying as many as they can carry - the semi-rational response is to buy two where you might buy one - even though you know you might be creating a temporary shortage for the next person.  Or the person who can;t actually afford more than one a week/month.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    I bought some foil tins last week. Maybe they will be worth a lot of money in  few weeks.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 October 2021 at 4:01PM
    The type of article that blows things out of proportion and actually causes the problem.
    News articles have suggested that the fuel crisis was deliberately caused by the RHA leaking a confidential BP document about a very isolated driver / delivery problem to further its political agenda over brexit.  It seems some large hauliers are leaving the RHA because of this agenda which they consider is harming the industry.

• RHA deny the claim over the BP leak and given the propensity of the usual suspect press to attack on demand, I rather suspect it was a diversion but the up shot is a just in time system breaking quicker when the public found out how badly managed it was. Whatever happens the public will always be the public. It was going to come out no matter what.
    Wonder how many drivers they have tempted so far?
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    About three years ago we stopped buying the quite good Lidl’s own toilet paper in favour of the (in our opinion) very good Cushelle. 

In about January 2020 Lidl reduced their price of the family packs of Cushelle. As we normally bought that size (but only occasionally) we bought an extra one while it was cheap. We also use Tesco to buy the things we can’t get at Lidl & we noticed that they were selling Cushelle at an even lower price than Lidl, so we bought a big pack there too. 

This ‘price war’ continued for some weeks in 2020, just as the pandemic was arriving. 

It’s my theory that if people had bought extra tins of beans or tubes of toothpaste it wouldn’t have left large expanses of empty shelves like it does with toilet rolls. If ten customers have had the large packs of Cushelle on, say, a Friday night, it really shows up & people get twitchy. 

Anyhow, that’s my theory. After all, toilet paper is manufactured in this country (isn’t it?) & surely isn’t affected by bad weather abroad or Brexit. 

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    While reading this thread I’ve just heard on the news that, according to the National Turkey Association, there will be plenty of turkeys to go round this Christmas.   B)

I hope this will bring smiles to your face.  Not mine, I don’t like turkey. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback