Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 15 October 2021 at 12:17PM
    elsien said:
    Download or stream. 
    How exactly does one do that?
    One borrows a young person, if one doesn’t have one already in the household.
    I understand that is generally frowned upon.

I did acquire an Alexa, but the sound quality was really bad so I put her in the cupboard and can no longer hear but can still control the lights and blinds via phone.

ElefantEd said:

Normally one would request the Butler to ask the Boy who cleans the knives and boots to do it. Obviously he would need to explain to one of the less revolting servants how to operate any devices but I am sure this would be well within their abilities. In the long term of course simply employ someone specifically for the task.
    Would that mean the person employed to place the stylus upon the gramophone becomes unemployed?  I am not sure that the more senior members of the household would be able to retrain or successfully be re-employed.  Maybe they have an HGV licence they could use - I'll check.
  • Ectophile said:
    There is actually a shortage of vinyl to make records out of at the moment. Global supply chains are messed up.

Many people buy the vinyl record so they have a physical thing they can hold, and look at the artwork. In the same way that hanging a picture on your wall isn't the same as looking at a picture on your mobile phone. Some people never even play their records.
    I still have all my vinyls even though I have nothing to play them on. 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Ectophile said:
    Many people buy the vinyl record so they have a physical thing they can hold, and look at the artwork.
    Yeah, I like to physically own the music, but I guess it would also be nice if I could get the sounds on the phone or something as well.  I don't know how to do any of that.

Diversion above, while a little light-hearted , didn't educate.  I have seen the speakers that go in the garden and play from bluetooth.  It would be nice to have but I've no idea how to get tunes into anything that then plays into the garden.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 October 2021 at 4:59PM
    Spotify app on your phone then stream to a speaker. (Other apps are available.) 

Free version with adverts.
    Paid version without adverts.
    Presuming you have a half decent smartphone. 

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/which-music-streaming-service

You can also connect Alexa to a Bluetooth speaker; no idea what the sound is like as I don’t have Alexa. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Ectophile said:
    Many people buy the vinyl record so they have a physical thing they can hold, and look at the artwork.
    Yeah, I like to physically own the music, but I guess it would also be nice if I could get the sounds on the phone or something as well.  I don't know how to do any of that.

Diversion above, while a little light-hearted , didn't educate.  I have seen the speakers that go in the garden and play from bluetooth.  It would be nice to have but I've no idea how to get tunes into anything that then plays into the garden.
    You have an Amazon account? Have a look on there. I'm not 100% sure now and I can't look as I have their free Prime at the moment, but check  to see if you download their app if there is free music to listen to. 
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 816 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Ectophile said:

Lots of records I buy come with a free download code too. That means you can download it as mp3s to your pc/phone. Phones don't tend to have much storage space, so you would probably want to use a memory card if your phone has a slot for one. If you have a PC near a window to the garden you might get away with a Bluetooth transmitter going from that. 

Alternatively there are ways to purchase mp3s directly - sites such as bandcamp are purely for that, or Amazon music, apple music etc. 

There's also record players that have Bluetooth transmitters on - you can play the record as normal and transmit to a garden speaker. As long as its in range!

You can also buy a Bluetooth transmitter for your current record player - you'll need a spare plug socket and a 3.5mm (small headphones) audio out. 

Lastly, streaming in various forms, as many others have said. 

So many options! 
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    I wish I knew how to get those 1950s reel-to-reel recordings of my grandparents & great aunts onto my pc or smartphone …

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 16 October 2021 at 8:39AM
    Teapot55 said:
    I wish I knew how to get those 1950s reel-to-reel recordings of my grandparents & great aunts onto my pc or smartphone …
    Something like this might work.  You just need to figure out which outputs your reel-to-reel has
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGITNOW-Windows-Converter-Cable-Transfer-Cassettes/dp/B079CBGDST

A useful how to is here
    https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-record-into-a-computer-from-a-reel-to-reel-tape-recorder
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Teapot55 said:
    Something like this might work.  You just need to figure out which outputs your reel-to-reel has
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGITNOW-Windows-Converter-Cable-Transfer-Cassettes/dp/B079CBGDST

A useful how to is here
    https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-record-into-a-computer-from-a-reel-to-reel-tape-recorder
    Amazing. I’ll give it a try. Thanks for your trouble. 

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don't understand this concept of "panic buying".
    Surely the only time there would be a "panic" would be if you couldn't buy essentials.
    Therefore the so-called "panic buying" is actually a rational preventative measure and thus is the precise opposite of a "panic".
    It's also hedging against rising costs, which is also quite sensible and rational, which makes it very much in the spirit of the Money Saving mission of this forum.
    That said, I don't have any immediate plans to buy any LPs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback