Panic buying

Comments

•  :D TMI

I have to admit the sound quality would have to be as good as CD's for me to buy them. I do miss the record sleeves on vinyls though. I used to buy the odd 12" single too and some of these vinyls came in shapes or colours. 
    Yes my nan has some CD's, she said thats what people used in the olden days, she said they only had 12 or so songs on them? 
    If not vinyl or CD, then how does one own music to listen for pleasure?

Obviously, nothing can really beat the pure sound of the family sitting around the pianoforte of an evening and bringing vibrant life to sheet music.
    Download or stream. 
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
     :D TMI

I have to admit the sound quality would have to be as good as CD's for me to buy them. I do miss the record sleeves on vinyls though. I used to buy the odd 12" single too and some of these vinyls came in shapes or colours. 
    Yes my nan has some CD's, she said thats what people used in the olden days, she said they only had 12 or so songs on them? 
    Ohhh lemondrops69 you have made me feel old  :D Yes your nan is right. At times some artists release a special addition CD and will would have a few extra songs on it, sometimes recorded live while performing at a concert. 

Vinyls were before CD's.  Ask your nan what people had to do with a tape and pencil lol
    I think the lovely lemondrops is (trying to) pull our little legs! You fell for it. . .  ;)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe said:
     :D TMI

Ohhh lemondrops69 you have made me feel old  :D Yes your nan is right. At times some artists release a special addition CD and will would have a few extra songs on it, sometimes recorded live while performing at a concert. 

Vinyls were before CD's.  Ask your nan what people had to do with a tape and pencil lol
    I think the lovely lemondrops is (trying to) pull our little legs! You fell for it. . .  ;)
     :o is she? lol yep I fell for it!   :D
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 816 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    I sold most of my records when I did a big move - and the vast majority got what I paid for them or better on ebay. Either I had incredible luck with my musical taste or they can keep their value quite well. 

I often buy records to support artists more than to listen to. They get a fraction of a penny per stream. Also, if the Internet goes down I can still have slightly less convenient music. If the entire power goes out we'll be huddling round an acoustic guitar as even my piano is electric! 
  • I like vinyl. I prefer it. There are loads of arguments over which is better but what the heck, I like it.

Now, 8 track, that was where tape was at back in the day......
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Download or stream. 
    How exactly does one do that?
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    elsien said:
    Download or stream. 
    How exactly does one do that?
    One borrows a young person, if one doesn’t have one already in the household.

Normally one would request the Butler to ask the Boy who cleans the knives and boots to do it. Obviously he would need to explain to one of the less revolting servants how to operate any devices but I am sure this would be well within their abilities. In the long term of course simply employ someone specifically for the task.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There is actually a shortage of vinyl to make records out of at the moment. Global supply chains are messed up.

Many people buy the vinyl record so they have a physical thing they can hold, and look at the artwork. In the same way that hanging a picture on your wall isn't the same as looking at a picture on your mobile phone. Some people never even play their records.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback