KFC Sugar Tax Issue

Options
123457»

Comments

• SweetPotatoPie
    Options
    They actually had any form of Coke - you are lucky, ours only has the much inferior offering of Pepsi

*superior* 
    corrected it for you 
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I have also noticed a positive shift in other places.  Our local Toby Carvery removed all full fat drinks from their refill machine around 18 months ago, but they are now back, along with 2 other local pubs that now have coke on draft.  
    Refill machines are a specific issue under the forthcoming HFSS (Foods High in Fat, Sugar & Salt) regulations which, until a few weeks ago would have prevented free refills of non-compliant product (full sugar soft drinks, ice cream etc) from 1st October '22. This has been postponed to 1st October '23 and many retailers/restaurant chains have taken advantage of the postponement to re-introduce these products/promotions
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 9 September 2022 at 1:59PM
    Options
    k3lvc said:

I have also noticed a positive shift in other places.  Our local Toby Carvery removed all full fat drinks from their refill machine around 18 months ago, but they are now back, along with 2 other local pubs that now have coke on draft.  
    Refill machines are a specific issue under the forthcoming HFSS (Foods High in Fat, Sugar & Salt) regulations which, until a few weeks ago would have prevented free refills of non-compliant product (full sugar soft drinks, ice cream etc) from 1st October '22. This has been postponed to 1st October '23 and many retailers/restaurant chains have taken advantage of the postponement to re-introduce these products/promotions
    Interesting, I didn't know that.  Thank you.

I recently discovered a rule that Aspartame needed to be declared as an additive to alcohol.  I'm a bit partial to a snowball at Christmas but can never justify a full bottle of advocaat, same with Pimms.  I've always looked at drinks in cans like snowballs, Pimms, Jack and coke etc but never dared to drink them due to the uncertainty of the content as ingredients lists dont seem too detailed and almost all lemonades seem to contain aspartame.
    I recently emailed Pimms who make drinks in a can and asked about the Lemonade content.  I received a very detailed reply, which was summed up with:

Sweeteners are not permitted in spirits above 15% ABV and any products which permit the use of sweeteners are required to be labelled as such. The European Food Information Law (EC1169/2011) is clear on the labelling requirements for products where sweeteners are permitted.

This means I can now buy cocktails in cans without worry I'm going to have a reaction.

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    custardy said:
    I'm allergic to aspartame so have boycotted KFC for a while.  Within minutes of ingesting it I get crippling stomach cramps and then later the migraine hits.  It does make me really ill and I have to be extremely careful with labels.
    Local experiences are as follows (cant speak for national obviously)

KFC only diet drinks.  Wont even allow a bottled water with a meal.  No longer visit.
    Pizza Hut only diet drinks, can have tap water or, somewhat ironically, as many beers as I want!  No longer visit.
    Taco Bell only diet drinks with meal deals.  Offered to pay the extra and explained I have an allergy, lovely manager gave me a bottled coke with a wink.
    McDonalds full sugar drinks available
    Burger King full sugar drinks available

I have issues in a lot of pubs as well as even though I always ask for a 'full fat coke or pepsi' they will almost always go to the pumps which are almost always diet syrups.  Mostly I have to purchase a small bottle of coke which usually work out more expensive than a pint of beer.

quick check on the KFC app shows water, liptons, coffee etc as drink options on meals?

You may note the date on my post that you quoted was September 2021, almost a year ago now.  Things have changed slightly over the course of 12 months and you now can have those things with a meal, however, at the time of my post last year this was not possible in any of the franchised branches of my local KFC, but thank you for taking the time to check the app.

pretty sure up here its been the case for some time.
    not a big user (pre covid I kicked myself back to fitness) and generally swap a black coffee for drink in these sorts of places.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    custardy said:
    custardy said:
    I'm allergic to aspartame so have boycotted KFC for a while.  Within minutes of ingesting it I get crippling stomach cramps and then later the migraine hits.  It does make me really ill and I have to be extremely careful with labels.
    Local experiences are as follows (cant speak for national obviously)

KFC only diet drinks.  Wont even allow a bottled water with a meal.  No longer visit.
    Pizza Hut only diet drinks, can have tap water or, somewhat ironically, as many beers as I want!  No longer visit.
    Taco Bell only diet drinks with meal deals.  Offered to pay the extra and explained I have an allergy, lovely manager gave me a bottled coke with a wink.
    McDonalds full sugar drinks available
    Burger King full sugar drinks available

I have issues in a lot of pubs as well as even though I always ask for a 'full fat coke or pepsi' they will almost always go to the pumps which are almost always diet syrups.  Mostly I have to purchase a small bottle of coke which usually work out more expensive than a pint of beer.

quick check on the KFC app shows water, liptons, coffee etc as drink options on meals?

You may note the date on my post that you quoted was September 2021, almost a year ago now.  Things have changed slightly over the course of 12 months and you now can have those things with a meal, however, at the time of my post last year this was not possible in any of the franchised branches of my local KFC, but thank you for taking the time to check the app.

pretty sure up here its been the case for some time.
    not a big user (pre covid I kicked myself back to fitness) and generally swap a black coffee for drink in these sorts of places.
    It's very rare I visit myself to be honest, but sometimes a chicken leg is just what is needed :)
    Both our local franchises would offer fruit shoots with a meal but not water etc.  I used to order those and pass them to a young family member.
    I've not visited my local once for some time but have now looked at the app and water is there as an option, assume the other is the same.

Franchised stores can be tricky as what is true of one isn't always true of another, especially if like the two near me they are owned separately.  

I could now murder a bucket 😂
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure