KFC Sugar Tax Issue

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What I'm guessing is that few people are ordering regular pepsi as a stand alone drink due to other options being cheaper.

I also think that probably KFC doesn't  want to offer the regular pepsi as the drink part of their 'meal deal' as it meant lower margins if people chose that instead of a lower taxed drink. I'm guessing this is also the reason behind the 'can't have water' it's not an option as a meal deal for similar reasons. For some items at fast food places you pay to upgrade the drinks part (for example if you want a milkshake) but I'm guessing incurring an extra charge for something as basic as water or regular pepsi wouldn't be popular with consumers, easier to take it away.

I do find KFC quite inflexible in what they offer though. I have a vegetarian daughter. I have ordered their vegan item in the past and asked to change it to regular mayo and add a cheese slice. I've offered to pay for any supplement this would incur and explained I know this means the meal isn't vegan but it's a vegetarian and not a vegan  I'm buying for who can and does eat dairy. I've had them tell me they'll need to check with the manager, told me that they'd do iit on this occasion  but might not again. My friend who doesn't eat meat has had a similar experience. 
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spendless said:
    What I'm guessing is that few people are ordering regular pepsi as a stand alone drink due to other options being cheaper.

I also think that probably KFC doesn't  want to offer the regular pepsi as the drink part of their 'meal deal' as it meant lower margins if people chose that instead of a lower taxed drink. I'm guessing this is also the reason behind the 'can't have water' it's not an option as a meal deal for similar reasons. For some items at fast food places you pay to upgrade the drinks part (for example if you want a milkshake) but I'm guessing incurring an extra charge for something as basic as water or regular pepsi wouldn't be popular with consumers, easier to take it away.

I do find KFC quite inflexible in what they offer though. I have a vegetarian daughter. I have ordered their vegan item in the past and asked to change it to regular mayo and add a cheese slice. I've offered to pay for any supplement this would incur and explained I know this means the meal isn't vegan but it's a vegetarian and not a vegan  I'm buying for who can and does eat dairy. I've had them tell me they'll need to check with the manager, told me that they'd do iit on this occasion  but might not again. My friend who doesn't eat meat has had a similar experience. 
    McDonald’s and some other places do charge extra for full sugar products bought in a meal.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Options
    jon81uk said:
    Spendless said:

McDonald’s and some other places do charge extra for full sugar products bought in a meal.
    Do they for just regular fizzy drinks not just the smoothie or milkshakes ones? I'm diabetic so only ever order sugar free ones. 
  • ses101
    Options
    They have a range of drinks from the sounds of it, so nothing inaccurate about it.
    They said "DELICIOUS range", which arguably isn't true when all their soft drinks have sweetener in them.
  • ses101
    ses101 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 September 2022 at 12:26AM
    Options
    I cant stand the taste of Pepsi Max, it leaves a horrid taste in my mouth. Any diet drinks have a simular affect.
    Yet normal full sugar Pepsi or Coca Cola is fine. 
    What I find annoying as a customer we should have the choice and not have diet drinks forced on us which are high in aspartimin which some people get a nasty reaction to.
    Its been well documented too much aspartimin is worse for you than sugar. 
    "Forced"  :D
    Soft drinks with sweetener might not be "forced" on people, but if you buy a meal in order to save money, you have to select a drink.  And if  you are sitting in, what choice do you have, drink a drink you don't want or pour it down the sink?

I would say just sneak a can of normal Coke/Pepsi in, but it's barely worth the bother - the chips aren't good now either.  And, better fried chicken places are starting to crop up now anyway.
  • Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Holy thread necromancy, Batman!
    Jenni x
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm allergic to aspartame so have boycotted KFC for a while.  Within minutes of ingesting it I get crippling stomach cramps and then later the migraine hits.  It does make me really ill and I have to be extremely careful with labels.
    Local experiences are as follows (cant speak for national obviously)

KFC only diet drinks.  Wont even allow a bottled water with a meal.  No longer visit.
    Pizza Hut only diet drinks, can have tap water or, somewhat ironically, as many beers as I want!  No longer visit.
    Taco Bell only diet drinks with meal deals.  Offered to pay the extra and explained I have an allergy, lovely manager gave me a bottled coke with a wink.
    McDonalds full sugar drinks available
    Burger King full sugar drinks available

I have issues in a lot of pubs as well as even though I always ask for a 'full fat coke or pepsi' they will almost always go to the pumps which are almost always diet syrups.  Mostly I have to purchase a small bottle of coke which usually work out more expensive than a pint of beer.

quick check on the KFC app shows water, liptons, coffee etc as drink options on meals?
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    Options
    ses101 said:
    I cant stand the taste of Pepsi Max, it leaves a horrid taste in my mouth. Any diet drinks have a simular affect.
    Yet normal full sugar Pepsi or Coca Cola is fine. 
    What I find annoying as a customer we should have the choice and not have diet drinks forced on us which are high in aspartimin which some people get a nasty reaction to.
    Its been well documented too much aspartimin is worse for you than sugar. 
    "Forced"  :D
    Soft drinks with sweetener might not be "forced" on people, but if you buy a meal in order to save money, you have to select a drink.
    No you don’t. You can swap the drink for a side if you so wish.
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't know what all the fuss is about.
    Buy a water and empty sachet after sachet of sugar in.
    Shake it up, sweet sweet sugar
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    custardy said:
    I'm allergic to aspartame so have boycotted KFC for a while.  Within minutes of ingesting it I get crippling stomach cramps and then later the migraine hits.  It does make me really ill and I have to be extremely careful with labels.
    Local experiences are as follows (cant speak for national obviously)

KFC only diet drinks.  Wont even allow a bottled water with a meal.  No longer visit.
    Pizza Hut only diet drinks, can have tap water or, somewhat ironically, as many beers as I want!  No longer visit.
    Taco Bell only diet drinks with meal deals.  Offered to pay the extra and explained I have an allergy, lovely manager gave me a bottled coke with a wink.
    McDonalds full sugar drinks available
    Burger King full sugar drinks available

I have issues in a lot of pubs as well as even though I always ask for a 'full fat coke or pepsi' they will almost always go to the pumps which are almost always diet syrups.  Mostly I have to purchase a small bottle of coke which usually work out more expensive than a pint of beer.

quick check on the KFC app shows water, liptons, coffee etc as drink options on meals?

You may note the date on my post that you quoted was September 2021, almost a year ago now.  Things have changed slightly over the course of 12 months and you now can have those things with a meal, however, at the time of my post last year this was not possible in any of the franchised branches of my local KFC, but thank you for taking the time to check the app.

I have also noticed a positive shift in other places.  Our local Toby Carvery removed all full fat drinks from their refill machine around 18 months ago, but they are now back, along with 2 other local pubs that now have coke on draft.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback